• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What to do- Avor's Journey

Avor said:
Funny thing, I didn't know the doctor filled out some paperwork, Im legaly blind! My dad and I were getting the handicap parking sticker and it was on the forms.

I know my sight is crap and there is no way I should do things like drive, but to have it on paper? Well, as least now we get choice parking.

Point to remember, you will be issued a Handicap Display Card and a annual renewable Licence (issued to you personally), but you must be in the vehicle displaying the HC Card and in posecession of your HC Licence to use the HC Spaces

Do Not allow anyone to use (display) the HC Card even if they are on a errant for you.
i.e A Hot 23 year old young Lady pulled up outside a IGA Store (who's HC Parking was right outside and by the Store Entrance), who apparently with great gusto dashed into the Store. Leaving her VW convertable (top down) , displaying the HC card from her rear view mirror.

All of this was observed by (persons unknown) who called the local authorities who dispatched a Patrol Car that was in the Area. The end results were, that the HC Card belonged to her 83yr old Grandmother who was wheel chair bound. If I'm not mistaken she received a $240.00 fine (after contesting her ticket), but also she was not allowed to drive her vehicle and was required to have it removed by tow truck , due to someone smashing both her head lights and completely splintering her windshield.

Have to agree with FastEddy. I have a Disabled Card for my vehicles but seldom use it due to major abuse of the system. I have been into too many heated discussions with able-bodied civvys who use the Disabled parking spots.

My younger self wanted to use a more physical approach to explaining the correct use of Disabled Parking spaces. When your half the person you used to be, a verbal explanation of the proper use of Disabled Parking is all I came muster.

One method I have deployed is to talk to the manager's of businesses I frequent and tell them my dissatisfaction with there Disabled Parking. What will usually happen is an employee will check vehicles using the Disabled Parking for about a month or so then its forgotten again.

Life is cruel.

Avor, keep plugging along.

Regarding the HD Card, it took my sister 5 years before she decided to get one.  Even then she is loath to use a spot if she's having a good day.  Of course, we were out shopping one day and noticed 3 handicapped spots, all filled, two by cars not displaying a card.  She pulled up behind them and parked there.  ;D

They are certainly good for more than just the "good" parking spots.  ;)

Thank you for the tips, I was just going to key the bastards, but from now on I'll park behind them untill the cops come, and the police station is less than a block away. luckly the only place I realy go the grocery store, and I have never had a problem.

But the last three days have been total shit, literaly. I was set for a cut in medicatio, totaly off of the steroids. Well, it totaly fucked me up, I was awake for only 8 hours a day, weak, I was sick as a dog, and yesterday I shit while walking with out realizeing it.

Now they got me back on and I'm getting back to where I was. I am not pleased by any of this, I want off meds all together. At least they have a plan to taper the reduction next time.

I know what you are going through. It's F**king rough. The " cure is worst than the illness".  I went through the same problems as you are experiencing. The withdrawl symptoms of coming of so many drugs made me feel worst. In my case, I was on so much medication, I didn't know the war was over. I was not fit to be around because of my illness. Which affected all those around me.
I was depressed all the time from having to take so much medication so they gave me drugs for the depression. It never ends.

Avor, you will have a rough road ahead to recovery but your attitude will carry you through it.

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

Best of luck friend

Avor said:
Thank you for the tips, I was just going to key the bastards, but from now on I'll park behind them untill the cops come, and the police station is less than a block away. luckly the only place I realy go the grocery store, and I have never had a problem.

But the last three days have been total crap, literaly. I was set for a cut in medicatio, totaly off of the steroids. Well, it totaly ****ed me up, I was awake for only 8 hours a day, weak, I was sick as a dog, and yesterday I crap while walking with out realizeing it.

Now they got me back on and I'm getting back to where I was. I am not pleased by any of this, I want off meds all together. At least they have a plan to taper the reduction next time.

Sorry to hear that things aren't easing up for you.

I guess its true about what they say, "sometimes the cure is worse than the disease".

Its a hard March and the Ruck weights a ton, but your almost at the top, then its all down hill.

Cheers ED.

GUNS said:
I know what you are going through. It's F**king rough. The " cure is worst than the illness".  I went through the same problems as you are experiencing. The withdrawl symptoms of coming of so many drugs made me feel worst. In my case, I was on so much medication, I didn't know the war was over. I was not fit to be around because of my illness. Which affected all those around me.
I was depressed all the time from having to take so much medication so they gave me drugs for the depression. It never ends.

Avor, you will have a rough road ahead to recovery but your attitude will carry you through it.

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

Best of luck friend

I thinkI feel that depression thing, sitting around all day. Coped up all day, useless computer, nothing on TV, and I burned out on building models. I now just turn off the TCV and just lie on the couch alone. The only thing I have is tht I got a bunch of appointments coming uo, and at this point I want any news or info on my condition or what the fuck is going on. Like if they can do anythinng to fic my eyes, it would allow me to do so much more.

Avor,

The way I coped with the loneliness was to volunteer. I am a Volunteer Driver for the Cancer Society, I also had been a volunteer for people with disabilities. In the New Year I plan to volunteer my time at the Veteran's pavilion.  Sitting/laying around is not good for you, believe me, I know.

Avor, do your best to stay active. It may not be what you perfer to be doing but it will help in your recovery.

If I was anywhere close, I would drop in for a coffee.

Good health my friend,

GUNS

Today I went to the eye doctor, not good news. My optic nerve is shot to hell, and there is not to much they can do about it. That means even if they fix the other vision flaws, everything will still be out of focus.

It's good that you volunteer, but Im not in a possition to help anybody, much less do anything.

Avor,

I don't know you, but I just read through the entire thread.  Maintain a good attitude and trust that God will see you through this.  Don't preoccupy yourself too much with the fact that there are circumstances working against your plans.  Take reality into account and adjust your plans accordingly. 

I believe that everything happens for a reason.  Yiou can be certain that your posts here have stirred many emotions in many readers.  Cancer is an affliction which affects EVERYONE.  Everybody has family or friends who have been touched and be assured that the thousands of readers who have read your posts respect you for your courage and willingness to share your thoughts on here. 

I've only just read months worth of progress over the last few minutes, so I'm admittedly not that aware of your circumstances. 

I'm a strong believer that dreams are meant to become reality.  I've they weren't, you wouldn't have dreamt them in the first place - back to the motto that everything happens for a reason. 

As you move forward, the trick will be to figure out the good that has come from your circumstances.  Best of luck. 

Chimo.

Avor,

How are you doing, lately? Since we share common lifestyles(military) and problems(medical), I was wondering how you are making out.
If my timing is off in asking, I will understand if there is no reply.

Best of luck,
Guns.

GUNS said:
Avor,

How are you doing, lately? Since we share common lifestyles(military) and problems(medical), I was wondering how you are making out.
If my timing is off in asking, I will understand if there is no reply.

Best of luck,
Guns.

Things were not so well for a while. A few weeks ago I came off the medication, and it piut me down pretty good.

Im doiing better now, was able to get some tests out of the way. But the part that is getting to me is that every eye doctor I've seen said my vision is shot for life. Perniment nerve damage happened becasuse I waas not sent in for radiation when I should have. This pisses me off the most off, what the army is willing to do in terms of pention, nothing. Just two years of subsidized education. Real fucking great. I just try not to think about it, all I can do is hope my sight comes back, if not, I sue.

Not the most welcoming news, is it.

I hope all things come together for you and continue with your fight for proper benefits from DND/VA.

You have to be tough at times like these.

Best of luck.

Ok, this is what realy unsrttles me. I just got a letter rom the army regaurding my disability claim jlyst being sent off.

Get this

"Contrained in your application was an additional claim for Loss of Vision consequential
to the tumour. Unfortunately,I have had to wwithdraw this portion of your application as there is no medical documentation in your service health records to suppurt the claim"

A load of shit, and what am I suppose to do with it?

If this is no longer part of my claim, what do I need to do? Send in another claim? Phone and bitch at people? Or should I just let them fiuck me around now and sue them all later.

Avor said:
Ok, this is what realy unsrttles me. I just got a letter rom the army regaurding my disability claim jlyst being sent off.

Get this

"Contrained in your application was an additional claim for Loss of Vision consequential
to the tumour. Unfortunately,I have had to wwithdraw this portion of your application as there is no medical documentation in your service health records to suppurt the claim"

A load of shit, and what am I suppose to do with it?

If this is no longer part of my claim, what do I need to do? Send in another claim? Phone and bitch at people? Or should I just let them fiuck me around now and sue them all later.

Avor, it's nice to see you back on the forum. A question from civvy-me: can you get help from your Regiment or an Ombudsman? I think, the CF has such a thing. Maybe they can help steer you through the red tape which can be so frustrating. Some of the letters you are getting may be just informal parts of a larger process ... things may turn out differently than how it seems today.

Many of us here have been thinking about you and hoping for the best ...

Please feel free to PM me if I can help at all.

Avor,

There has to be avenues within the military for you to get answer's to your concerns. The military has been rumored to make mistakes. ;)

Make sure you keep a paper trail for yourself of everything you are going through.

I am not sure if Pat Stogran (Veteran's Ombudsman) would be of assistance.

I know it frustrating but you have to remain calm and take it step by step.

Best of luck and keep us up to date on your struggle. You never know someone in the group may be of some help.

Avor,

"Veterans Ombudsman" is a member on this forum; maybe he could help; I've cut and pasted this from one of his posts to the forum:

The Parade Square / Military Administration / Pat Stogran, Veterans Ombudsman Launches National 'Leave Nobody Behind' Campaign  on: June 19, 2008, 10:04:09 

VETERANS OMBUDSMAN LAUNCHES NATIONAL "LEAVE NOBODY BEHIND" CAMPAIGN

Charlottetown – Today, Colonel (ret) Pat Stogran, Canada’s Veterans Ombudsman, launched the national "Leave Nobody Behind" campaign. The Ombudsman is calling on all Canadians, including military and Royal Canadian Mounted Police Veterans and their family members, to work with him to identify ex-service personnel who might be suffering in silence because they have not sought assistance or appropriate services do not exist for them at the present time. 

"We don't leave our wounded on the battlefield, so injured Veterans should not be left to care for themselves. I will leave nobody behind", said Colonel Stogran. "The Office of the Veterans Ombudsman is the rallying point for all Veteran issues. Everyone should feel that they can come to us on any matter that impacts on the Veteran community, and be confident that we will
follow up."

The Ombudsman announced this initiative at Legion Branch Number 1 in Charlottetown, where he was doing his first in an ongoing series of townhall meetings.  These townhalls enable the Ombudsman to maintain a dialogue with the Veterans’ community, thus ensuring that the work of the Office of the Veterans Ombudsman (OVO) remains relevant to our Veterans. 

For more information on the Ombudsman and the OVO, or to advise the Office of a Veteran who might be in need of assistance, please call us at:
1-877-330-4343 or visit our website at: www.ombudsman-veterans.gc.ca.

It's too early to run to the Ombudsman, I should just be patient and see how things play out on their own. Then if I get screwed, then start going to top people.

The joy of army limbo, it sucks, but since your in limbo you can't realy do jack.

Last week had a few medical appointments. The MRI results were ok, nothing new. The eye doctor said the vison in my right eye has gotten better, left no change.

And case management was informative. I was woried because I knew VAC would turn me down. But then it turns out I will be ok, I knew that I am entitled to 2 years of subsidised education, but not that at the end of thaat two years you are re-assesed. I was affraid that if I am crippled for life all I would have is dosability.

I know people who only have disability pention, and they are fucked. Not only is it a pittiful amount of money, there are restrictions on what you can spend it on. Such as it cannot be put towards a morage

Back