• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What were the proudest moments in your CF career?

• Thread starter Veteran`s son
  • Start date
Getting Sworn in.

Stepping on the Herc at CABC - knowing I was going to come down under canopy... Getting our wings on DZ Buxton

The proudest moment  in my CF career was outside the airport in Ethiopia (Op Blue Nile) waiting for the bus to take us back to the hotel (a Hilton hotel no less! what can I say Air Force....lo ;Dl) and having the Papal Ambassador come by and bless us and shake our hands, telling us he was proud of us Canadians for doing what we were doing, which was bringing in food to the refugee camps. This all happened back in 1988.

Jungle said:
Bagging ? Does this have anything to do with a Kilt ??  ;D

The bagging ceremony consists of the CO forming up the new recruits up and subsequently kicking them in the nuts.  :eek:  Last man standing gets to go on a QL4. 

I think my proudest moment was my grad parade the day I got qualified.  It was in Meaford this summer.  My family is from quebec, and it was on a week day, so unfortunately, noone was able to come, but that day happened to fall on the exact day of my my fathers passing 1 year earlier.  While standing there in ranks, I got a snese of major pride and had the feeling my dad was watching proud.

axeman said:
...a   march 32 kms long as a reservist. it was down in california as a work up for bosnia . i remember a who;e bunch of ppl dumping on me for my stature {stout would be a good term} . in the end after i crossed the line it was turn around to sweep the entire MOUT site and...    

Yeah, that's a good one. Diakows Fun Walk. Did you manage to look up in time to see Jimmy inspiring the troops at the intersection before the last stretch into the Ralley point/Showers? I truly felt every sandbag we had to take out of those shooting houses. The Strats had it right on that one. Walk to the beach and have a BBQ.

I did over 18yrs in the CF, and have had many moments of pride, but a thing that stands out in my mind was after instructing QL2's was to see the pride on their faces and the faces of their parents.

That was satisfaction.

Cheers,

Wes

Sorry to jump in so late.
Wow, there's a lot of Super Soldiers out there. Times change. A whole lot of talk about personal accomplishments but what ever happened to the "my proudest moment(s) were the time we saved that guys farm house during the great floods of 97, or fighting the fires in BC that most know all to well. Or how about pushing bush in the northern parts of this country looking for lost children, the ice storms in 98, the thousands families we've saved overseas...." Those are a couple of mine....maybe someone could add to these.

Peace :cdn:

hifi1620 said:
Wow, there's a lot of Super Soldiers out there. Times change. A whole lot of talk about personal accomplishments but what ever happened to the "my proudest moment(s) were the time we saved that guys farm house during the great floods of 97, or fighting the fires in BC that most know all to well. Or how about pushing bush in the northern parts of this country looking for lost children, the ice storms in 98, the thousands families we've saved overseas...." Those are a couple of mine....maybe someone could add to these.

hehehe come on are your for real?  Man leave yer ego and aggro at the door mate.

cheers

tess

hifi1620 said:

yes i did those things but in the end the thing that I"M proudest of is proving to myself and others that i AM better then them. as you can see by my avatar ive  been there dont that and i have just a few T-shirts . but when it breaks down to the little nuts and bolts proudest things . finishing the march that many didnt, and helping a friend top a course are amunst my proudest moments. not that i feel unproud about the icestorms , the fires floods making a human line to stop one side from shooting at another but i feel more that hey " Ifinished "

Just last weekend. I am on my PLQ, and my brothers Sect. Cmd from his basic is a Sect Cmd on this course, and he reconized the name and asked if we were related, and i told him that yes, it is my brother. He then said did you know that he joined because of you? I had no idea, he said that he felt so proud having a member of his family, let alone his brother in the military, that he wanted to join so he could have the same experiances and help out people liek i have.

Also, getting my infantry capbadge from my CO. My unit capbadge was a good parade, but my platoon Cmd handed them out, and needless to say i respected him because of the rank......only

On my infantry course it was decided that I would be A Security, and therefore responsible for navigation during the FTX.  I was leading the platoon back to the patrol hide after a raid.  I had just started to doubt by nav abilities when I came over the hill and found it.  After we had our debrief, a few of the other candidates came up to me and told me I did a really good job and should be proud of getting us back.  This meant alot to me, especially since a few of them were the guys I didn't talk to otherwise. That was my proudest moment.

Hello everyone:

As you know, I have never served in the Canadian Forces; as a result, I have had no proud moments myself.
My Dad served for nearly 32 years and I know of a moment of which he was proud!
He was posted to Germany from 1962-1965.
He was the one chosen in the squadron to raise the new Canadian flag for the first time in 1965.
He was wearing his DEU and medals.
I know he was proud of that moment and so is my family.

I am proud of you, Dad!  :salute: :cdn:

walking in the front doors of the armoury for the first time in uniform was the proudest moment so far. man i felt proud

I've got a couple pretty cool ones...

1. When I came back from Bosnia, my Dad asked, "So is this little army phase over now, so you can go back to school?" - I had dropped out of Univ to join.   Um, he's actually since become incredibly supportive since - that makes me feel pretty good.

2. I had a cab driver once who was born and raised in the Balkans and came to Canada as a refugee.   He said that most foreign militaries that came through were distant and cold - but he had a great deal of respect and admiration for every Canadian soldier, and he was very impressed by the compassion and strength of our leadership over there.   That was a damn good feeling.

3. My first Remembrance Day wearing my medals was a pretty big deal.   But to have a Veteran with a rack of medals from sternum to shoulder come up and tell me he was very impressed by my two (CPSM, and Former Yugo) almost blew me away!   I told him that I felt there was no way my tour could compare to his campaign stars, etc - and he shut me up.   He told me that when he was in Europe it was easy.   They had an enemy and they shot him.   He said peacekeeping was tougher because there was no defined enemy and we had fewer bullets.   We had to step between warring factions and tell them to stop fighting.   I felt proud, and guilty all at the same time.   I graciously accepted his praise - but - to this day don't feel I deserved anything so monumental.

Back