• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Where do I store my helmet on my webbing when I am not wearing it?

Well.. if you've got the old 82 pattern webbing.. you can attach it to the suspension straps above the buttpack.

If you have a Tac Vest.. most guys attach to a carabiner on their TV and carry it off that.. you can also attach it to several points on the TV.

I try and avoid carrying the helmet when its not in use.

Thanks man! I actually use my suspension straps to store my rain gear, so I think I'm gonna try the carabiner idea.

Put it in the ruck valise for admin moves - other then that, Mike M points out the logical (and decent places to wear it).

Other then that, Iraq Lessons Learned are harping on the need to ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS wear your protective gear, so maybe you should keep it on your head.

Infanteer said:
Other then that, Iraq Lessons Learned are harping on the need to ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS wear your protective gear, so maybe you should keep it on your head.

In this instance, amazingly similar to the Somme Lessons Learned....

Ya of course, I just wanna know what the standard is because at my Reg't we are required to bring our webbing down everyweek...Don't be a fool wrap your tool  :p

Seems to me that the ole head, issued by your Mom and Pop, was ideally designed to hold a helmet.

When lugging all your kit around town, on city buses, etc. (ie. on the way to the Armoury) get a bag from one of the kitshops that stock the Flight/Para bags (those used to stuff the chute into after landing in the DZ) or a small duffle bag.

if your wondering about standards within your regiment then maybe you should ask someone that makes policy in your regiment to explain it to you.

CFL said:
if your wondering about standards within your regiment then maybe you should ask someone that makes policy in your regiment to explain it to you.
x2

helmet is made for your head...wear it...but when your not get your small pack and one pouch comes with a helmet holder. It has a X strap, just strap it to your tac vest, and your set

Dont store your webbing in your car, heard a story that a BCD, a while back stored his webbing in his car and it got broken in to and they stole his kit, He had to pay back quite a bit of $ to cover for the stolen kit

Da_man said:
Avoid carrying your helmet when your not wearing it...  

How are you supposed to put it on when you need it if you're not carrying it?

We in the IDF carry our helmets behind on our webbing using two velcro straps or on a elastic triangle higher up on the back pouch, we often don't wear our helmets when on patrol,ambushs etc almost the opposite of the US army that seams to wear them everywhere ,Last time I was in the Reserves we wore them only inside APCs and jeeps.
As I also make gear for the Army I make a sort of open pouch on rucsacs to carry the helmet that works quite well.
yours Adam :)

Just a Sig Op said:
How are you supposed to put it on when you need it if you're not carrying it?

get your small pack..it has a helmet holder on the back 5 lt pouch..also there is webbing on the back of your tac vest, i just loop it through there. Helmet is a pain, I only where it when transporting, and shooting

boonie caps all the way!

Good point Piper,

Although the helmet might be a "pain" to haul along, you'll eventually need it, and you'll want it on when you're having things fly at you, etc...

PS. Piper, been to Connaught, know what the Butts are like, a friend of mine found out what they're like through a similar experience as yours.

Back