• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Where have all the Lynx Gone ?

1 Lynx at the entrance to the Armour School.  Another by the North Gate to CFB Gagetown, and a third by the tourism office for Oromocto by the Trans Canada Highway.

Why bother with rebuilding the originals, they hulls would be ancient by now.  Why not just take the "MTVR" pickup truck version, knowck down the cab a bit, and toss an RWS on it.  Did they not cancel that part of the TLAV order?  I would figure that means there should be some good condition hulls that were just stretched or waiting to be stretched, engines possibly installed alreay, and it would probably take 100K per vehicle to finish it off and issue it out.

von Garvin said:
1 Lynx at the entrance to the Armour School.  Another by the North Gate to CFB Gagetown, and a third by the tourism office for Oromocto by the Trans Canada Highway.

The Lynx at the Armour School is on Loan as it belongs to the CWM.  It is "Rad's Lynx".  It was presented to Gen Radley-Walters back in the 1980's, and then donated to the War Museum when he sold his Whiskey Jack Farm out in Wilno.

George Wallace said:
The Lynx at the Armour School is on Loan as it belongs to the CWM.  It is "Rad's Lynx".  It was presented to Gen Radley-Walters back in the 1980's, and then donated to the War Museum when he sold his Whiskey Jack Farm out in Wilno.

You learn something new everyday!  Thanks

Bomber said:
Why bother with rebuilding the originals, they hulls would be ancient by now. 

Who said anything about rebuilding?  They were suffering pretty bad from metal fatigue by the time they were 'retired'.  We are talking about 'redesigning' and building whole new ones, as that would be more cost effective than stripping and rebuilding the old ones.

Where have all the Lynx gone;

Long time passing;

Gone to  flowers, every one;

When will they ever learn?

I remember seeing Lynx bombing training areas when i first joined but soon after they received the pink slip. Maybe a new one built with a kick ass engine, new weapon station and new armour would be the ticket?

George Wallace said:
Who said anything about rebuilding?  They were suffering pretty bad from metal fatigue by the time they were 'retired'.  We are talking about 'redesigning' and building whole new ones, as that would be more cost effective than stripping and rebuilding the old ones.

Just figured the way everyone was trying to locate them, people wanted to knock the squirrels out of them and fire them up.

I remember a funny story about a Cupola lift on a Lynx when I was with the Hussars in Pet. One of the guys in the shop had undone the wrong bolts and when we lifted it up with the HIAB crane, the race ring ballbearings went flying, since the two rings separated, bit of a mess.

Another thing I remember was all the add ons on the Lynx's on exercises, like bicycles ;D

Gnplummer421 :cdn:

Bomber said:
Just figured the way everyone was trying to locate them, people wanted to knock the squirrels out of them and fire them up.

Actually if I could find one I wouldn't mind doing just that. O'course that's after I win the 6/49!

Well,

There is a Lynx on Monument Hill at CFB Wainwright.
There is a Lynx on the corner of 97 St and 195 Ave greeting everyone who enters Steele Barracks (Namao) coming North from Edmonton.
There is/was a Lynx owned by an American National Guard General in the early nineties.  He had asked one of his NCOs to get a Canadian Operators Manual from me at the Armour School.
There is a Lynx in the Strathcona Historical Troop.

Rumour was, when we parked Recce Sqn 8CH(PL) for good in Lahr in the Summer of 1992, that the Lynx were going to Hungary to do foresstry stuff.

Anybody other than me have a cupola fire?  Mine was at 0200 one fine fall morning on the Autobahn near Regensburg.

Tom

There is a Lynx at the entrance to JTFN HQ in Yellowknife.

George Wallace said:

What happened to the golden Sherman that he was presented with in the mid-seventies?

There's a Lynx at the College in Toronto, too.

Since we are dredging up old kit, what about the Fox?  All the fun of upgraded firepower, with delightful wheels that everyone loves these days.  Scimitar turrets seem plentiful, but I have no idea as to the armour of the hull.  It also seems like there would be a degree of mine protection from the underside clearance and shape of the hull?
I defer to the masters....

Fox.jpg

IIRC, the Fox turrets were stripped from the vehicles and installed on the old Scorpion hulls to form the Sabre...

Loachman said:
What happened to the golden Sherman that he was presented with in the mid-seventies?
That along with the previously mentioned Lynx (at the Armour School) and a Ferret belong to the CWM.  Rad painted it green with his Tac Signs from Normandy.  All three were removed from his farm and 'temporarily' stored in the RCD Lines in Pet. 

Now the Fox is a good vehicle.  Very quiet, like the Ferret, but larger.  We never had turrets on our ferrets (exception being one in Cyprus that we 'acquired' from the Brits) so perhaps it would be a good candidate.

Problem with the Fox, is like the Ferret, vehicle maintenance may be a nightmare.

Did we mention the one in Harvey, NB donated by the Armour School to the Harvey cadet corps?  That's another one.

Bzzliteyr said:
Did we mention the one in Harvey, NB donated by the Armour School to the Harvey cadet corps?  That's another one.

Donated?

How does one donate an item that is on the DA?

Back