• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Whither the Royal Canadian Legion? Or RCL Withers?

Nothing wrong with Winnipeg that 40 gallon drums of DDT and four space heaters for every room can't mitigate.
Don’t forget three air conditioners for your house. I have never lived somewhere so humid in the summer before. 🥵

Fair. More positions for folks who don't mind staff work.

Kind of like Nash Equilibrium, that.
There is a special place in my heart for policy weenies that volunteer for those jobs.

I don't mind staff work, but policy work in my personal 9th circle; I love folks that volunteer for them to take them out of circulation, and then try and stay friends with them to help prevent ivory tower policy that doesn't actually work for practical reasons (like it creates new work and we don't have people as it is).

Had to look up Nash Equilibrium though ; Nash equilibrium - Wikipedia

Fair. More positions for folks who don't mind staff work.

Kind of like Nash Equilibrium, that.
Considering I have been out for a long time, that won’t be an option unless it’s for a holiday. ;)

Winnipeg is bad enough…

Considering I have been out for a long time, that won’t be an option unless it’s for a holiday. ;)

Winnipeg is bad enough…
Worked in both.

I don't mind Winnipeg, but it's like picking nice parts out of a place that is generally "meh". I wouldn't voluntarily move there if it wasn't for work.

I actually really like Ottawa as a city.

Worked in both.

I don't mind Winnipeg, but it's like picking nice parts out of a place that is generally "meh". I wouldn't voluntarily move there if it wasn't for work.

Drove through Winnipeg to visit my sister when she was posted and married in Manitoba. Beautiful province, when you leave the city, from what little I have seen of it. The people seemed more polite than what I was used to back home. :)

Me too. Visited it many times, because it makes me proud and thankful to be a Canadian.

Worked in both.

Winnipeg is like every bad neighborhood I have ever walked through decided to amalgamate and call itself a city of 750K.
Ottawa is essentially a city-sized Service Canada office: Everything shuts down at 5, people generally are waiting for a service they can probably get remotely, are miserable, or are waiting to go elsewhere to have fun.

Ottawa is essentially a city-sized Service Canada office: Everything shuts down at 5, people generally are waiting for a service they can probably get remotely, are miserable, or are waiting to go elsewhere to have fun.
I'm not going to say Ottawa is like Montreal or Toronto for places to go out, but there are better areas than Byward or Sparks street.

Elgin, Somerset, or Wellington (Westboro) areas have some great places. Also, generally just far enough away from the tourists too.

Covid probably played a big factor, they rented the top floor to a catering company, but during covid cut their rent to almost nothing.

I'm not going to say Ottawa is like Montreal or Toronto for places to go out, but there are better areas than Byward or Sparks street.

Elgin, Somerset, or Wellington (Westboro) areas have some great places. Also, generally just far enough away from the tourists too.
I used to go to Ottawa several times a year for work, including spending pretty much an entire winter there Monday-Friday, and noticed a change over time. In the beginning, probably in the late '80s/early 90s, there was absolutely nothing open downtown. If you worked late and tried to find a bite you were screwed; the whole 'roll up the sidewalks' thing. Several years later right up until I retired there was actual life and people down there.

I used to go to Ottawa several times a year for work, including spending pretty much an entire winter there Monday-Friday, and noticed a change over time. In the beginning, probably in the late '80s/early 90s, there was absolutely nothing open downtown. If you worked late and tried to find a bite you were screwed; the whole 'roll up the sidewalks' thing. Several years later right up until I retired there was actual life and people down there.
Was out and about a few months ago; was pretty lively. Some places closed during COVID but prior to the crazy house increases in the last few years a lot of people started moving downtown to avoid the commute.

Some places closed during COVID, and there is the normal churn for restaurants anyway aside from that, but a lot of condos etc now within a 30 minute walk of 101 in any direction, and some trendy areas like the Glebe and along Somerset that have a lot of places to go.

There are still some streets that are just office buildings, but usually you just need to move over a block or two and suddenly find where all the people are.

As an aside, found Vancouver downtown recently was a lot more like that; there were whole neighbourhoods that seemed empty, with some pockets with actual people living there. Was pretty weird, but guess that's what happens when you have entire buildings that are empty investment properties.

I've never spent much time in O Town but I had heard that the Byward Market (Is that correct?) had night life, other than that people went to Hull.

That's no longer the case. Downtown, Elgin street is fairly animated as well as the Byward market, and other neighbourhoods have strips of restaurants and bars as well (for example, from along Richmond Road from about Kirkwood west to Golden there are a fair number of decent restaurants and bars).

Hull actually started cracking down as the nightly influx of 18 year old Ottawans binge drinking was a net negative for the community. But Ottawa residents of a certain age all have their stories about staggering home across the bridges to Hull (and the occasional stop for a swim in the Rideau Canal because I'M PERFECTLY FINE I CAN STILL SWIM WATCH ME).

I've never spent much time in O Town but I had heard that the Byward Market (Is that correct?) had night life, other than that people went to Hull.
Byward market is a bit more upscale, along Elgin/Somerset is more casual, lots of stuff on Sparkes st (with sidewalk patios in the summer) that is kind of inbetween, and then different neighbourhood places around the universities, etc. With COVID some more pubs have popped up in the suburbs. Which is great, as it can cost $75 for a taxi if the LRT/buses are down.

Also bunch of spots in the Glebe/South Ottawa, Little Italy, etc.

One of the areas in Hull was right around the giant Place de Portage, which relied on a lot of public servants going out after work, and has dropped off a bit during COVID, but noticed that some neighbourhood stuff on the Gatineau side has also shifted more into some smaller local places.

Not a bad mix of places for the various crowds honestly, and if someone is complaining they can't find anywhere in Ottawa to go out they aren't looking hard.

Byward market is a bit more upscale, along Elgin/Somerset is more casual, lots of stuff on Sparkes st (with sidewalk patios in the summer) that is kind of inbetween, and then different neighbourhood places around the universities, etc. With COVID some more pubs have popped up in the suburbs. Which is great, as it can cost $75 for a taxi if the LRT/buses are down.

Also bunch of spots in the Glebe/South Ottawa, Little Italy, etc.

One of the areas in Hull was right around the giant Place de Portage, which relied on a lot of public servants going out after work, and has dropped off a bit during COVID, but noticed that some neighbourhood stuff on the Gatineau side has also shifted more into some smaller local places.

Not a bad mix of places for the various crowds honestly, and if someone is complaining they can't find anywhere in Ottawa to go out they aren't looking hard.

Best blue cheese wings in town ?

Back