• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Who is the Senlis Council?

DualCore

Inactive
Reaction score
I see the Senlis Council is back and has applied the "auditor's rule" to Canada's foreign aid -- it doesn't exist unless the paper trail says it exists.  And they cannot find enough paper wrapped in miles of red tape to prove it exists.

Who are these people and how did they appear from nowhere to get unfettered access to the media.  They are treated with the fawning reverence to their unquestioned genius that used to apply only to Red Cross, CIA, Harvard, UN, ...  I know the media is looking for "factual content" to supplement the endless editorial, but if I give myself a cool name like Senlis and show my hotel bill from Kandahar, will the entire Canadian media publish my observations?

I used to hear it was funded by a "little known Swiss Billionaire", but recently they are "funded by 12 European Foundations".  Their website is generic enough that is could be anything from George Soros to General Motors.

Anybody know who they really are?  (Other than the one Vancouver lawyer who occasionally appears on TV.)

I understand they do have some sort of presence in Aghanistan, which far beyond most of the critics, some of their ideas are not to far off-base, but one has to wonder how much of their motive is the well-being of the average Afghan and how much is attacking the West and increase the Western guilt complex (hence increasing funding for said groups)?

Looking at their reports

Looming crisis
http://www.senliscouncil.net/modules/media_centre/news_releases/53_news

The Council said that the current response to the critical issues of drug policy in Afghanistan has been ineffective and that the goal of eliminating poppy cultivation in the country is not closer to being reached than it was in 2001.

“Drug policy is the core issue in Afghanistan’s security and the proposed ‘quick-fix’ aggressive tactics should not be used,” warned Reinert. “Drug policy has to be tackled in a comprehensive, ‘pro-poor’, development orientated way. Current approaches are totally out of touch with the reality of the security situation in Afghanistan. What Afghanistan needs is an intelligent responses, not militaristic tactics that wage war on the poor farmers of Afghanistan.”

The Council said that its recent proposal to license Afghan opium cultivation for the production of opium-based painkillers such as morphine or codeine would not only allow Afghans to take ownership and responsibility for their own futures, but would also provide Afghanistan with a good source of legitimate industry and economic development.

There is currently a global shortage of opium-based painkillers, especially in developing countries, with 80% of the world’s population having little or no access to these essential medicines.
“The international community must support economic growth in the ‘real’ Afghanistan context – the rural communities,” said Reinert. “Using special international Trade Agreements – such as those that the United States already has for the import of opium based medicines from India and Turkey – the international community could support the development of a market for Afghan morphine and codeine. We also propose a special brand of Afghan humanitarian morphine and codeine for export to developing countries. If donor countries can commit to buying these special Afghan brand of medicine this can go along way to supporting legitimate development in Afghanistan and moving the country away from its dependence on international aid.”

(So how come Turkey has a unusable surplus of Opium?)

Taliban rising  Apr 2006
http://www.senliscouncil.net/modules/media_centre/news_releases/59_news

It's a suicide mission June 2006
http://www.senliscouncil.net/modules/media_centre/news_releases/64_news

The tide has turned, the Taliban are taking over June 2006
http://www.senliscouncil.net/modules/media_centre/news_releases/62_news

Make or break crisis in the next 2 months  Feb 2007
http://www.senliscouncil.net/modules/media_centre/news_releases/78_news

Well skimming their reports they seem to focus on stopping the bombing and stopping the eradication of the poppy crop. maybe they are into recreational drugs and singing Kumbya around the fire? Or perhaps they want the Taliban back into power to eradicate the drugs, (ha!)

Sorry for all the posts, but maybe some of our local memeber or persons just back from the sandbox will want to take part in this:

http://www.senliscouncil.net/modules/events/modules/events/ottawa_simulation

The Senlis Council is organising “Afghanistan, a Way out of War?”, a simulated peace negotiations event in Ottawa involving mock cross-party peace talks to find a political solution to the crisis situation in Afghanistan.

This simulation, developed by Partizan Publik, Clingendael and The Senlis Council aims to develop the idea of, and instruments for, a political solution to Afghanistan’s challenges. It will also provide insights into the complexity of the political situation, including the divergent positions and interests of the stakeholders involved. Lastly, the simulation game aims to provide participants with insights into the multilateral negotiation process.

Participants will be divided into diplomatic teams representing Afghanistan, Canada, Pakistan, the Taliban and the United States in the context of multilateral talks and debates, aiming to produce a hypothetical resolution to end the war in Afghanistan.

The simulation event will be held in Ottawa on 24 September, 2007. If you wish to participate, please please fill out the following form or contact Mr Almas Bawar at bawar@senliscouncil.net before 14 September.
If you have any questions or inquiries before or after registration, please do not hesitate to contact The Senlis Council’s Ottawa office on +1 (613) 562-0070, or by e-mail at the same address as above.

Maybe we dress up as Taliban and take them all hostage and demand that the council remove all of their Infidels from holy Muslim soil? ;D

Colin P said:
Maybe we dress up as Taliban and take them all hostage and demand that the council remove all of their Infidels from holy Muslim soil? ;D

Now that would be a protest. Could you imagine the outrage of all those left-wingers having their conference interrupted?

I noticed from their Wiki blurb that they were started in 2002 with a focus on drugs and drug eradication programs, then in 2006 they "expanded" their areas of concern.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senlis_Council

This appears to be their mission statment:
The Senlis Council is an international policy think tank with offices in Kabul, London, Paris, Brussels, Ottawa and Rio. The Council’s work encompasses foreign policy, security, development and counter-narcotics policies and aims to provide innovative analysis and proposals within these areas. The extensive programme currently underway in Afghanistan focuses on global policy development in conjunction with field research to investigate the relationships between counter-narcotics, military, and development policies and their consequences on Afghanistan’s reconstruction efforts. Senlis Afghanistan has field offices in the Afghan cities of Lashkar Gah and Kandahar

I guess pushing drug programs and anti-eradication programs wasn't sexy enough, I suspect that the "anti-war" (any war connected with Bush in particular) is where the real donation money is.

Having said all this, I do agree the West should be paying to buy up the poppy crop, with caveats and a gradual replacement program in place. Plus helping them establish a facility to turn it into medicine.

They do seem more realistic than many other media experts in that I have seen many occasions in which they have stated recognition of the need for the military operations.  Maybe having eyes in country helps them in this respect.

Blindspot said:
Now that would be a protest. Could you imagine the outrage of all those left-wingers having their conference interrupted?

Who says the conference would have to be interrupted?  Anyone in Ottawa free to, say, sign up as a former military member to bring another viewpoint to the table?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Ruxted has met the Ottawa crew face to face................at their request.

They are not your normal 'everything is bad' nutjobs. They do have some points.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Ruxted has met the Ottawa crew face to face................at their request.  They are not your normal 'everything is bad' nutjobs. They do have some points.

That reduces my skepticism some, indeed.

Any plans for Ruxted to participate as a voice one wouldn't normally encounter among "young enthusiasts who find common ground in their urge to move & to move on" (from the Partizan Publik web page?  Could make a VERY interesting column (not that they're short of issues to write about).

>The Senlis Council is organising “Afghanistan, a Way out of War?”, a simulated peace negotiations event in Ottawa involving mock cross-party peace talks to find a political solution to the crisis situation in Afghanistan.

>This simulation, developed by Partizan Publik, Clingendael and The Senlis Council aims to develop the idea of, and instruments for, a political solution to Afghanistan’s challenges. It will also provide insights into the complexity of the political situation, including the divergent positions and interests of

Unless some way is found to "simulate" genuine gun-to-the-head pressure, there will be no insights at all which reflect reality.  GIGO.  They are holding a public circle jerk.

Ms. Norine MacDonald, Q.C.
President and lead field researcher
Senlis Council Afghanistan
Kandahar City

will be addressing the Vancouver Institute on October 27, 2007 at 8:15 p.m., Lecture Hall No. 2 in the Woodward Instructional Resources Centre, University of British Columbia.

Following Norine Macdonald via alliance Online http://www.alliancemagazine.org/online/html/aoapr07a.html

The Senlis Council is a project of the Mercator Fund, which is in turn a project of the Network of European Foundations (NEF). I’m the president of the Gabriel Foundation, which is a member of NEF and from which the Mercator Fund’s money comes. I’m managing director of the Mercator Fund, and I’m the president and founder and lead field researcher of the Senlis Council and Senlis Afghanistan – so I have many different hats. I spend about 80 per cent of my time in Afghanistan – basically I live there.

following that to NEF via http://www.nefic.org/

NEF is an operational platform primarily committed to developing operational cooperation between foundations in Europe but also open to collaboration with the public and private sectors in developing its initiatives. Its areas of intervention to promote systemic social change include: migration, European citizenship, support the European integration process, youth empowerment, global European projects.

OK she's connected to the NEF , President of Gabriel Fund, the funding source for Mercator, managing director of Mercator, president and founder of Senlis council and senlis Afghanistan.

So she is Norine Macdonald ibn senlis Afstan ibn senlis council ibn mercator ibn gabriel ibn NEF al-Rashid, sounds pretty straight forward.
Only if she were male of course.

Not commenting on her point of views, seems pretty much a one man band though.

Thanks for the info.  But we are still left with an omnipotent Vancouver lawyer, with offices is London, Paris, Rio, ... and a shadowy network of European foundations hiding the source of funding, and quite possibly, the source of their universal acceptance by Canadian journalism. 

My guess:  it is seed money for the Opium-for-Food programme, based on the extremely successful Oil-for-Food programme.

I'll have to get a note off to the conspiracy theory guy who comes on after the Maple Leaf games on the radio. 

By Murray Brewster, THE CANADIAN PRESS

OTTAWA - Canada is throwing away an opportunity to help Afghan President Hamid Karzai break the Taliban by not actively supporting his repeated peace overtures to moderate insurgents, says an international think-tank.

The Senlis Council, a European-based agency that's conducted extensive research in war-torn southern Afghanistan, says the appeal to less dogmatic Taliban has a good chance of succeeding if NATO countries throw their full support behind it.
Norine MacDonald, a Vancouver lawyer and council president, says separating hard-core Islamic fundamentalists and al-Qaida supporters from moderates would weaken the insurgency and reduce its offensive capacity.

It's time for Canada to take the diplomatic lead and step out from the shadow of U.S. foreign policy, she says.
"We believe there are defining moments in every nation's history when there's an opportunity to demonstrate who we are as a nation and how we conduct ourselves in Afghanistan at this critical moment is one of those times," MacDonald said Monday at the beginning of a day-long conference meant to explore policies that could lead to peace.

This so-called fast-track for peace and stability should also include keeping Canadian troops in Afghanistan past the February 2009 deadline, she said, and opposition to a U.S. demand that opium poppies be eradicated with aerial spraying. 
The strategy of driving wedges between various insurgent factions is a cornerstone of U.S. policy in Iraq, where it has convinced Sunni tribesmen to fight terrorists.

In Afghanistan, NATO has been using economic development projects to pry committed Taliban fighters - who are often foreign jihadists - away from poor, unemployed farmers who are often coerced or enticed to take up arms. The strategy has met with limited success.
MacDonald says actively supporting Karzai's peace bid by rallying other NATO countries would also help the Conservatives sell the mission among Canadians who've complained there is too much emphasis on fighting at the expense of development, reconstruction and humanitarian aid.

The debate over the war this fall in Ottawa needs to be about more than whether Canada stays or withdraws from Afghanistan at the appointed end of the mission, she said.
"I believe Canadians instinctively understand why we are in Afghanistan, but they don't understand what the government's plan is for success for our military and I think they're angry the political system us turning them against each other."
MacDonald said she believes the opposition has "shown some willingness to fall in line behind a proper, well-thought-out plan."

Prime Minister Stephen Harper said last summer that he wouldn't extend the combat mission in Kandahar unless there was consensus in Parliament. But he recently qualified that position by stating he wouldn't put the issue before the House of Commons until he had the winning conditions.
On Monday, Defence Minister Peter MacKay said Canada will deliver an answer to NATO next April on whether it plans to continue the combat mission in Kandahar.
He also poured cold water on the notion that any faction of the Taliban is seriously ready to talk peace.

"Unless we see a sea of change in terms of attitude from those who are engaged in the insurgency, these negotiations won't be successful," he said.
It's up to the Afghan government to decide who it wants to negotiate with, he added.
A request for comment from Foreign Affairs Minister Maxime Bernier, who attended a closed-door meeting at the United Nations Sunday on the future of Afghanistan, was turned down.

Bernier has in the past rejected the idea of Ottawa participating directly in peace talks with the Taliban, saying "Canada does not negotiate with terrorists, for any reason."
A spokesman for Bernier dismissed Monday's criticism, saying the Senlis Council "with its focus on opium legalization and negotiating with the Taliban, seeks to distract from the real successes are being realized in Afghanistan."

Neil Hrab said Canada supports the reconciliation program already underway in Afghanistan. That program encourages Taliban to lay down their arms - sometimes in exchange for cash - and rejoin society without fear of prosecution.
Bloc Quebecois defence critic Claude Bachand, who attended the Senlis conference, says it's already too late to salvage the current Canadian mission politically.
"The support for this mission has been dropping since it started," he said.

Last winter, Bachand and the rest of the Commons defence committee met with NATO's former commander in Afghanistan, British Lt.-Gen. David Richards, who warned them that peace could not be achieved through military means alone.
"We're losing the war because there is no diplomacy," said Bachand.

I mentioned before these guys aren't totally out to lunch......................they could be right, they could be wrong. What I found funny was I'm sure the Blochead went there to find some soulmates for his "pull-out now" thing and got told he was wrong. ;)

Back