• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Will there be moments during BMQ...

Rubes

Inactive
Reaction score
...where I will just feel like quitting, or think "What am I doing here?"  I am not going to quit, as it is my dream to serve, but I'd like to know if this would be a normal feeling for someone going through basic training.  Thanks.

Rubes said:
...where I will just feel like quitting, or think "What am I doing here?"   I am not going to quit, as it is my dream to serve, but I'd like to know if this would be a normal feeling for someone going through basic training.   Thanks.

It just another test of yourself.....you will always be testing your own abilities......and rewarded when you can overcome your fears and doubts with accomplishments that will define you.  Part of growing and learning.  It will never end as long as you challenge yourself.  It would be quite a boring life if you didn't.

Never let your Fear stop you......after all you can be your own worse enemy.

During the first few days i had this little bug that was telling me to quit...  It just takes a little time to get used to.

I've been in the army 7 yrs and theres still times I want to quit! Usually when I have'nt been getting much food or sleep!

From what I've seen, people rarely want to quit because of lack of food or sleep.   Usualy people start thinking about quiting when the level of unproffesionalism and incompetence starts setting new records.

At least once a day for 23 years...."What am I doing here?"  ;D Think of quitting?  EVERYONE does at some point, it's how you answer that matters...

CHIMO,  Kat

48Highlander said:
From what I've seen, people rarely want to quit because of lack of food or sleep.   Usualy people start thinking about quiting when the level of unproffesionalism and incompetence starts setting new records.

Why don't you show some of that professionalism and not trash the army to someone who has yet to formulate an opinion?
Most of the people I work with are both professional and competent, but then again, I'm in the reg force >:D

GO!!! said:
Why don't you show some of that professionalism and not trash the army to someone who has yet to formulate an opinion?

He's probably spot on for why people throw in the towel - I haven't heard of too many people releasing because of a tough exercise.

Most of the people I work with are both professional and competent, but then again, I'm in the reg force >:D

So tell us, what was your old Militia regiment?

Let me interject

I know his reserve unit.. was part of it for almost 10 years..

I won't say I agree with his opinion... or defend him.. cause I don't agree.

HOWEVER

I've done a few stints attached to the reg force.  And as a Chaplain
I've had many a conversation with both regs and reserves about leadership,
fear, screwed up people.. etc.

I've seen and heard good soldiers and bad soldiers in both the reserves and regs.
I've seen and heard about good leadership and screwed up leadership in both reserve and regs.
Incompetance is in every branch, reg, reserve, CIC.... (Rangers?? don't know)

ok..  /rant off

As for jitters..  normal

thoughts of why?  normal

I always get them from 2-5 on picket, in the rain.. soaked... cold... on a weekend ex
saying to mysef... I don't HAVE to do this...  but when the sun comes up.. its all worth it.

Oye, very quickly on course you will see guys that don't have it in them, they lights not burning in their eyes. You'll know them, they tend to band together and grumble about how it's all bs, and why do we do this  ::) Avoid them like the plague, it can be infectious, no matter how nice they are, they will try to get you to their way of thinking. Attach yourself to the most positive recruit you can, they too will gravitate towards each other and feed on them for motivation. You can do it, soon you'll think "I was going to quit over that" and LYAO  ;)

It just another test of yourself.....you will always be testing your own abilities......and rewarded when you can overcome your fears and doubts with accomplishments that will define you.

He's absolutely right. Yesterday I had trouble with the takedown pin during strip & assembly. I honestly thought I was going to fail the future C7 Handling Test because of it. Today, I got my riflle and had to put in the bolt, and then later take it back out... I found the takedown pin extremely easy. I managed to find the proper technique and felt lots of pride in my accomplishment :D

We had two guys quit after our first weekend of BMQ which seemed to me to be outrageous.

I think another reason why people quit early on is because they had unreal expectations as to what they were gettign themselves into. I'm sure some people come in thinking it's like boy scouts! Do some camping, play with guns, wear cool uniforms etc. Then when they are getting yelled at in the morning on inspection they think "why am I putting myself through this?"

I think that peopel know whether or not they have it in them before they start their courses. And as stated above, you can tell right away who will make it and who won't. It shines through in their attitudes!

Don't worry too much about it. You'll have your good days and your bad days but that's the same with every job!

It's all about your attitude going into it, I'd say. During my BMQ, which just ended a few weeks ago, I never had a notion of quitting. I enjoyed the challenge and adventure. Just keep in mind nobody's trying to harm you, only make you better and see what you're capable of.

thorbahn said:
Just keep in mind nobody's trying to harm you,

That's what we want you to think......

That way we can have some sort of plausible denialability when we do hurt you!!!  ;)

Chaplains seem to act so very differently online, what with the sarcasm and the large text about breasts.  :D

..Sir!

GO!!! said:

Yeah I guess it's hard for us toons to take your career seriously.  It's just a hobby for us.

</SARCASM>

thorbahn said:
Chaplains seem to act so very differently online, what with the sarcasm and the large text about breasts.  :D

..Sir!

What.. this is me behaving.....

ask 48th Regulator how I am in real life....

As for the sig....  If it gets people to the thread and they donate... I'll do anything.

Back