• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Will there be moments during BMQ...

thorbahn said:
It's all about your attitude going into it, I'd say. During my BMQ, which just ended a few weeks ago, I never had a notion of quitting. I enjoyed the challenge and adventure. Just keep in mind nobody's trying to harm you, only make you better and see what you're capable of.

I was about to say the same thing about never thinking of quitting during BMQ or SQ, but then I remebered the 'PowerPoint Marathon of Death' and 3 straight days of first aid.I wasn't so much thinking of quitting the army as I was thinking of poking my eyes out with that sharp thing attached to my bang-stick.

Just think, if you pass, 3-4 years later you will go on your PLQ Module 6 where you will be subjected to

>:D >:D >:D5 WEEKS OF POWERPOINT >:D >:D >:D

Pte. Gaisford said:
I was about to say the same thing about never thinking of quitting during BMQ or SQ, but then I remebered the 'PowerPoint Marathon of Death' and 3 straight days of first aid.I wasn't so much thinking of quitting the army as I was thinking of poking my eyes out with that sharp thing attached to my bang-stick.

Haha, you obviously have never sat through a week's lectures on antenna theory and another one on Office.  >:D

Ever seen "A Clockwork Orange"? Remember that scene where they propped his eyes open, and forces him to watch violent scenes to the good old Ludwig Van?

It's like that, but with powerpoint. In the Int World, we call it "Death by Powerpoint"

Edit: hmm.. I should use spellcheck before hitting the post button..

Rubes said:
What's this Powerpoint Marathon of Death you speak of?
Very much like it aounds. You are subjected to power-point until quitting life looks appealing by comparison. But then, no one likes a quitter so you  suck it up and bitch about it on an online forum later.

Rubes said:
...where I will just feel like quitting, or think "What am I doing here?"   I am not going to quit, as it is my dream to serve, but I'd like to know if this would be a normal feeling for someone going through basic training.   Thanks.

It's very normal, when you're being eaten by mosquitos in a swamp while your civy buddies are at a BBQ drinking beer you'll wonder what the heck you're doing... I sure did! What makes it all worthwhile is at the end of training, when far fewer remain than started, you won't be one of those people who folded when the going got tough, who would rather call it quits than subject themselves to hardship and discomfort... you'll be a soldier!

I have to post here having done my time on both sides of the civy/CF fence.

Don't give up on your military career just to "get away" from some aspect of it you don't like. Focus on the aspects that you do enjoy. If you can't think of any, here are some suggestions, in no particular order:
-job security
-pension
-REAL training benefits
-opportunities to travel
-opportunities to do things 99% of the world hasn't dreamed of
-the only employer I've ever seen that actively promotes fitness, health, well-being and growth in all areas of your life
-as long as you are in, you will have food in your belly, a roof over your head and something meaningful to do.
-sometimes it seems futile, but you really ARE helping to make our country a better place. Your 'little' contribution is appreciated, even if the rest of the world doesn't know about it
-you actually have a real means to lodge a greivance - in the civy world you better already be rich if you want to take on a supervisor or employer who has wronged you

There really is no life like it. I know of no other employer that will have someone check in on your family if you are travelling for work or whatever.

If you doubt that there is opportunity for advancement in the CF, just look at Gen. Hillier's career. That alone inspires me.

The seed of faith/hope cannot be choked out by the seed of doubt, if you continue to feed the seed of faith/hope.

There. That's my touchy-feely post for the week....  ;)

tikiguy

You left out Friends and Acquaintances who you will run into in some of the strangest places in the world.

One of the most important things to you on your Basic is gonna be your buddies. Keep that in mind, don't try to go solo because you won't last. Thats one of the things the army will drill into you: you depend on your buddy for survival and they depend on you. So help them out and they'll help you out. You can chill out and joke about how funny it was to get jacked up and tell stories after, it helps you get through it all. You'll make some pretty close freinds. And, when it's all done you'll have some kickass stories to tell you civy freinds.

You'll also wind up with a co-dependancy complex of extreme proportions.

Will you wonder what you're doing and want to quit?

Yes, every time you talk to your crying girlfriend. ;)

Seriously, I wondered what I was doing for almost the entire course, but I kept my head up, now I can see the light. The hardest part for some people is the loved ones they left at home (which was my case), so if that sounds like it might be you, make sure to get your life straightened out before you leave for Saint Jean. When you're there, you will need their support and strength, so make sure they have yours.

And always remember, it cant be all that bad, because if it was, that Sargeant who's jacking you up would have quit years ago. :warstory:

Mike.

I myself am just getting into the process...Should be taking BMQ this summer...

My motivation is the experience...I'm joining the Reserve short term for a year then switching to Reg Force...I'll be applying to go overseas and peacekeep places that need some peacekeeping.

The only worries I have is:

I'm 16...Probably will get taunted.

:threat:

Pte Hopkins said:
I myself am just getting into the process...Should be taking BMQ this summer...
The only worries I have is:
I'm 16...Probably will get taunted.
:threat:

Having just finished my BMQ course, I can tell you that your age doesn't matter. It's how mature you are on the inside, and how much determination you show in what you do. If you can manage that, you ensure that people respect you instead of taunt you.

(Though everyone gets taunted for something at one point or another. Don't worry about it.)

You will find that the age range of people on BMQ can go from 16 to the mid 40's and no matter what people say they are all as nervous and unsure as you are. Cheers.

And Gramps would know.. Thats why he is is so old and bitter.

Ahhh Perry. You would know I guess. I suppose you had already guessed thst I am sitting here listening to crappy music and drinking some Scotch on a Friday night but I guess things dont change that much. Cheers.

funny i'm doing the same thing just replace scotch with beer

Oh don't think for one second that I don't have a few beer too. I suppose if we are to continue this type of conversation we should use PM before Mom and Dad tell us to stop wasting bandwith etc. Sorry mom and dad Ill try to be a good boy, really, I promise.

Back