• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Work software for home use

Crimmsy

Inactive
Reaction score
I have a vague recollection of hearing that certain software (MS Office, MacAfee come to mind) could be borrowed from IT services for installation on home computers. Assuming I'm not completely out to lunch on this, does anyone know if Adobe Acrobat (meaning the software to create PDF files, not just the reader software) is included in this licence?

Tried a quick search and didn't find anything, so apologies if this sort of question has been asked and answered.

Thanks!

The license with Microsoft covers all the department and includes home use.  Acrobat is licensed per user that requires it, substantially fewer copies (by an order of magnitude at least).  I don't believe it is available for home use; or, if it is, it would only be for those who employ it at work.

However, if you need to create PDF files at home look at Open Office, which can import most Microsoft documetns and convert them to PDFs, or look at PDFCreator, a freeware open-source printer driver - limited, but good.

Hope these help.

dapaterson said:
The license with Microsoft covers all the department and includes home use.  Acrobat is licensed per user that requires it, substantially fewer copies (by an order of magnitude at least).  I don't believe it is available for home use; or, if it is, it would only be for those who employ it at work.

However, if you need to create PDF files at home look at Open Office, which can import most Microsoft documetns and convert them to PDFs, or look at PDFCreator, a freeware open-source printer driver - limited, but good.

Hope these help.

This needs confirmation.  Check with your local TIS Sqn.  I understand that when next (?) DND renews it's MS Office license, home use will not imi not be covered.

Bigbird said:
This needs confirmation.  Check with your local TIS Sqn.  I understand that when next (?) DND renews it's MS Office license, home use will not imi not be covered.

...and YOUR info came from where?

Adobe Acrobat is not included. We have to purchase a separate license for every user that has Adobe Acrobat installed. Meaning, you cant even "borrow" the Cd and install it at home.. each workstation has their own unique licence. (the PDF creator, not the free reader)
If you really want the software.. just download a copy (compete with key) from a bit torrent website. (not the most "legal" thing to do.. but, fill your boots if you want to)

Cheers,

oh imagine the amount of money we would save by switching to open source software, also documents that were created on earlier versions of Office, can't be open properly on the newer versions.

PiperDown said:
Adobe Acrobat is not included. We have to purchase a separate license for every user that has Adobe Acrobat installed. Meaning, you cant even "borrow" the Cd and install it at home.. each workstation has their own unique licence. (the PDF creator, not the free reader)
If you really want the software.. just download a copy (compete with key) from a bit torrent website. (not the most "legal" thing to do.. but, fill your boots if you want to)

Cheers,

Question here...first, is this via "Baseline"?  Or your "flavour" in our big DWAN sys?  Pardon me I am only familiar with Baseline and what DLCI approves for use, and IAW RFC/RFS's and all that stuff...

I am a "Baseline" admin, I am not aware of this being avail...must be under the Custom Apps menu via your site in Site Mgr?  Quite possible, but this was discussed at the last ATWG I was at Oct 05.  Makes me wonder...what DID you pay per license?  We talked about this as part of the IMG SW strategy last Oct...which, I think should be a CF, yet, Canadian Federal Goverment SW purchase plan, to avoid this "here and there" waste of $$ with "seperate" purchases of said SW.  Burner SW was a big one, with the soon rollout of Xp....well, shite, I am getting into the whole issue here.  No Management of SW across the CF.  ;D

I am not sure I would "provide" info on where to DL copies of SW, "complete with key" on here.  Althought NOT associated with DND...if they (and they are) introduce SW meteoring with SMS on DWAN systems, start to find this stuff on PCs, and start looking in the Reg's of these machines...well...ya. messy.

am not sure I would "provide" info on where to DL copies of SW, "complete with key" on here.  Althought NOT associated with DND...if they (and they are) introduce SW meteoring with SMS on DWAN systems, start to find this stuff on PCs, and start looking in the Reg's of these machines...well...ya. messy.

I was not implying installing pirated software on a DWAN workstation. First off, you would need admin privilages to do so.. and second, priated software on a DND machine would get someone into a world of hurt.
But, what you do on your home computer (which is what the original post was referring to, and my comment to download a copy from a torrent site ) is none of the business of DND. (but, the RCMP may take interest.. LOL :)  )

I don't know what is the policy on USB key, but something that *might* be allowed on DWAN computers. Portable apps

http://portableapps.com/

Since you don't actually have to "install" anything  hence you don't mess with the computer's integrity

I suppose there could be a little debate on this.

Or, as mentioned - you could just check out openoffice.org, and get the free, legal equivalent.

the good thing about open office is that there's a function to save as .pdf so it's easy to convert files to pdf that way

Just for the record:

On the DWAN at: http://img.mil.ca/svcdesk/imit_guide/home_use/off2000_e.asp

is the following text:

Home Use of DND/CF Licensed Products - Microsoft Office 2000 Professional

Current departmental licensing for Microsoft Office software includes a provision allowing for the installation on a home computer owned by a CF member or a DND civilian under the following conditions:

• Employees using a home computer for the purpose of employment related activity.

The DND/CF OA Suite license includes only: Access, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Word.

Conditions of Use

In order not to be in violation of the corporate licensing agreement, the software configuration manager will provide the application for installation at the offsite location to CF Members and DND Civilian personnel who have a requirement based on the definitions above. The software will be returned to the configuration manager as soon as possible following the installation. Records will be kept of the locations where the software is installed. When no longer required or when the user is no longer employed by DND/CF, the software must be removed from the offsite computer. The software configuration manager must be informed that the software has been removed and record the action.

Back