• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wrist Watch Recommendations - Merged Thread

Wonderbread said:
Why do you say that? A digital set in 24 hour time seems to me like the easiest to read. I guess you could potentially use an analogue watch as a makeshift compass, but a real compass is usefull enough that you'd want to have one anyways.

big hand on the 3 little hand on the 9.....hmm getting darker......9 + 12 = 21 + 15 minutes = 2115......boy that's a no brainer....

No one wants to use their head anymore I guess.

I have never had the need to use a watch as a compass. If I wanted to know where we were. I asked the guy with the map and compass. Or I WAS the guy with the map and compass.
But times have changed and you can still hear the roar of the dinosaur sometimes.

My point is this.

If you are going to Afghanistan or some deployed Op out in some austere location. Then yes buy all the toys with all the latest bells and whistles. Make sure you are proficient with its use, because if you are busy tinkering with it or trying to get it to work, or playing with it when you should be watching your arcs or doing some meaningful menial labour you may find yourself with out a watch or gadget as it gets tossed out the hatch,window, trench etc.

If you are going on course or just summer training. Save yourself the time and money. Go to WAL-MART get a Timex for 20 bucks. Take the money you saved buy a nice watch with which to impress the ladies. (I am talking about bright and shiny, She does not care whether you can hump a ruck or call a fire mission, shoot a gun etc etc all she wants you to do is buy her a drink and tell her she looks nice)

mover1 said:
big hand on the 9 little hand on the 3.....hmm getting darker......9 + 12 = 21 + 15 minutes = 2115......boy that's a no brainer....

I have never had the need to use a watch as a compass. If I wanted to know where we were. I asked the guy with the map and compass. Or I WAS the guy with the map and compass.
But times have changed and you can still hear the roar of the dinosaur sometimes.

My point is this.

If you are going to Afghanistan or some deployed Op out in some austere location. Then yes buy all the toys with all the latest bells and whistles. Make sure you are proficient with its use, because if you are busy tinkering with it or trying to get it to work, or playing with it when you should be watching your arcs or doing some meaningful menial labour you may find yourself with out a watch or gadget as it gets tossed out the hatch,window, trench etc.

If you are going on course or just summer training. Save yourself the time and money. Go to WAL-MART get a Timex for 20 bucks. Take the money you saved buy a nice watch with which to impress the ladies. (I am talking about bright and shiny, She does not care whether you can hump a ruck or call a fire mission, shoot a gun etc etc all she wants you to do is buy her a drink and tell her she looks nice)
Where are you living?  I would be more impressed that he was actually capable of doing something...instead of small talk  :D
Personality is more impressive than a flashy watch... and the Timex would just show that you are thrifty...lol

Go Timex Ironman...for every occasion  ;D

HL

Always found it a hassle when you're at an "O" group and we do a time check.
The felas with the watch with sweeping hands adjust their watch with no problem while the felas with digital watches are constantly fiddling around with their buttons to the point where I don't trust that they do have it right.... forcing me to quizz em to make sure they're OK & my plan will be "on time" and "on schedule"

Cheap reliable watch with some form of Indiglo is the way you want to go.

Unless you're a working diver, you don't neet a diver's watch (IMHO)

Hot Lips. 

I was refering to going fishing and picking up a one night stand. Personally if I was going to meet the love of my life I wouldn't meet her in a bar and have her pants off in an hour.  (thats when the big hand is on the 12 and the little hand is on the 2....its dark out so that would be 0200)
>:D

mover1 said:
big hand on the 9 little hand on the 3.....hmm getting darker......9 + 12 = 21 + 15 minutes = 2115......boy that's a no brainer....

My point is this.

According to your watch, it's either 0345 or 1545, and if its getting dark, you're in Ft Nelson in November.  You're right, it IS a no brainer.... ;D

Uhhhh...

If the big hand is on the 9 and the little hand is on the 3, then its 3:45 or 1545 hours. Not so simple as it seems, and you're not even in the field!! Try that one when you havn't slept in awhile and then we'll talk about people not wanting to use their heads. ::)

As for your other point, If a watch isn't good enough for Operation then its not good enough for training either. It doesn't make sense to train on one system and then use another when it matters most. A mid-range watch is fine for most jobs.

****EDIT*****

"Warning - while you were typing 2 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post. "

Dammit Kat!! You stole my smartass comment!!! ;D

mover1 said:
Hot Lips. 

I was refering to going fishing and picking up a one night stand. Personally if I was going to meet the love of my life I wouldn't meet her in a bar and have her pants off in an hour.  (thats when the big hand is on the 12 and the little hand is on the 2....its dark out so that would be 0200)
>:D
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

HL

Yeah ok you got me with that one duhhhhh I should have re read my post :-[ but you get the point.....

Actually ...F@@K it. I am buying stock in Timex. You guys buy all the fancy watches you want....just don't wait until the last minute to farmiliarise yourself with the new equipment .....unless its 0230 you have just left the 20/20 club in "Freddy" and the big hands are on the 6 and the little hands are on the 9..... :eek:

Just picked up a new watch a month or so ago.  My top requirement is one with dual time, with both able to be shown without having to push a button to go back and forth.  I keep one on local time and one on Zulu time, easier on the job.  And a light too, it comes in handy at night on the bridge.  This time I went for the Casio G-Shock.  http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/G-Shock/G303/product/G303B-2AV/  No complaints from me so far, and although the manual is thick, the watch itself is very user friendly, but I'll admit I haven't gotten into all of the features on it yet.

What are you guys talking about TimeX Casio pfft sure there good watches but dont you want this http://www.backyardartillery.com/watch/
It tells the time
Its analouge
Its stylish
and when all else fails you can shoot bbs at the enemy.

However in all seriousness buy something that is strong.  I used to go throught a ironman a every few years if it even made it past the first one.  And I'm still in the recruiting process.  So I would infact buy 2 watches and hope the first one doesnt breack so you can sell the second and get your money back,
Cabose

I have just been very lucky to have been given a gift of a very good working watch, a Muhle Glashutte Watch from Germany.  It is a little pricey.  My last two working watches have been a CWC issue watch from the UK and a Citizen Eco-Drive watch.  Both good performers.  I always recommend the best that you can afford.  A watch can be a valuable navigation tool.  My view.

I won't recommend a specific watch - anything that keeps accurate time should suffice.

However - I can't REMEMBER how many watches I went through because they caught on my ruck when I was removing it (the ruck, I mean - not the watch).

Cheaper watches (with plastic bodies), tended to be wrecked - the pins holding the strap in place would rip through the plastic body, making installation of replacement pins impossible.  More expensive watches (with metal bodies) tended to have the pins wrecked, NOT the body - the pins are easy to replace.

Just my own .02.

I used to use a Casio with an indiglow back lit.  It was great, but then I lost it on an exercise.

Since then, I bought the CADPAT watch band from CP Gear, and decided to go with the Trooper watch they had for sale there too.

The watch broke the first time it got wet, but the watch band lives on.

Should I bother to get a good, possibly expensive watch with a bunch of gadgets on it before my BMQ? Or just stick to getting a cheap watch as the joining instructions recommend you bring?

I would recommend a cheap watch, as long as it has an alarm on it. Most of the other features are never used.

dangerboy said:
I would recommend a cheap watch, as long as it has an alarm on it. Most of the other features are never used.

Geez louise,

If I had your money, I would piss on mine!!

Oi, stay safe and make sure yer watch works in the sanbox!

dileas

tess

I just picked up this baby last week.... about  $50 at Zellers. Hopefully it serves me well. Timex Expedition.

# INDIGLO night-light
# NIGHT-MODE feature
# 3 time zones
# 24-hour countdown timer
# 24-hour chronograph with lap or split option
# Alarm
# Water resistant to 100M
# 24 hour clock
# glow in the dark numbering and hands

Well this is the watch I ended up getting just different colours. http://www.timex.ca/en/jcatalogca/Detail?item=753048217977 I only paid $73.00 after taxes at Wal-Mart for it too. It's water resistant up to 200 metres, but if I'm 200 metres underwater I think the time is the least of my worries.

A very nice gift from a very thoughtful brother.

http://www.sporttek.co.uk/Casio_Protrek_PRG-70-1BVDR.html

Back