• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Your workout routine

civvy3840

Inactive
Reaction score
I was just wondering what you guys do for a workout or if you knew of any good ones. Mine sucks so I just got of it and am looking for a new one so if you guys could help out that would be great.

Civy asking for our workouts wouldn't help you much because one size doesn't fit all. I'm working for a specific goal much like everyone else working out is working for one. My goal is probably not your goal, and my approach probably not your approach. There isn't just one workout you can do that will do everything for you.

IslandRhyno has a good workout there for beginners but whether or not it suits you is a different story .. it's a generic workout that should generally work for your average joe.

Can you be more specific with what you want to do?

Say what you'd like to improve on, or what your aiming for. Then I'm sure that alot of members will have genunine ideas for you to improve your workout routine. :salute:

Well I was hoping to be able to improve on everything. But it is my upper body that needs the most work. I can easily do 300 pounds on the leg press at the gym. I have done the bench press and my max is 120 pounds. That's ok but I can only do 4-5 reps of those so I'm trying to focus on the upper body for now. Any suggestions would be great.

civvy3840 said:
Well I was hoping to be able to improve on everything. But it is my upper body that needs the most work. I can easily do 300 pounds on the leg press at the gym. I have done the bench press and my max is 120 pounds. That's ok but I can only do 4-5 reps of those so I'm trying to focus on the upper body for now. Any suggestions would be great.

Leg press strength doesn't translate into squat strength, or general strength. On the leg press I once had a 1RM of over 600, but on the squat it dropped to 2-300 (I don't remember exactly for the squat), so you should check it out. Also, for army-related fitness, you need to have endurance more than sheer strength.

The other guys can correct me on this, but almost every tip I've read on here shows this way.

Frederik G said:
Leg press strength doesn't translate into squat strength, or general strength. On the leg press I once had a 1RM of over 600, but on the squat it dropped to 2-300 (I don't remember exactly for the squat), so you should check it out. Also, for army-related fitness, you need to have endurance more than sheer strength.

The other guys can correct me on this, but almost every tip I've read on here shows this way.

I realize that in the army it isn't about sheer strength but I would like to be as strong as possible before going in, that will probably help me in the long run. as for the leg press thing I could do more than that but at my school the max weight is 300 ibs so I can't see how much I can actually do on it. I will try out the squats when I get in the gym next. I think I have pretty good endurance I can run for about 4-5 minutes as fast as I can before I start getting into problems, but I usaully just jog.

Running as fast as you can for 4-5 minutes is in no way an indication of your endurance. All it is is a measure of your anaerobic, explosive sprinting ability. I too can run all out for that length of time, it doesn't mean anything for distance running.

You want to see how good endurance you have, run the 5k and time it.

Steve said:
Running as fast as you can for 4-5 minutes is in no way an indication of your endurance. All it is is a measure of your anaerobic, explosive sprinting ability. I too can run all out for that length of time, it doesn't mean anything for distance running.

I'll try on the weekend. Thanks for the advice.

Steve said:

I've been told by some that one of the best ways to trim the fat and lose weight is focusing more on Anaerobic activity, rather than aerobic.

Whats your take on this? it makes sense to me... but i'm not exactly an expert in fitness.

Leg presses and squats are totally different strenght concepts, as an example I leg press 1500lbs but I can only squat around 400lbs. (those are large weight numbers, please don't try to match those, that's not ego, just a safety thing) Civvy, you shouldn't ignore your leg muscles, if you want to be fit and strong you have to exercise those muscles as well. The largest muscles in the body are in the Legs and Back and those are the parts that often get ignored. As far as increasing your bench press goes, you have to get stronger all around, not just the chest, many people make that mistake. A bench press involves your shoulders and triceps quite a bit as well. Try this to boost your bench, Add Tricep Bench dips and Tricep pushdowns, also add a military press and side raises to your routine. A stronger set of shoulders and Triceps will help with your bench press. (As a word of caution, you shouldn't always try for your one press max, try it once a month) Also about the muscular endurance thing, that's been ongoing forever, a strong muscle is an enduring muscle. In short, do what works for you, but the old lite weight high reps for endurance and heavy weight low rep for strenght does work. Hope this helps!

IRT interval training, it is a good way to increase your speed and distance, here is an article on such. Source is http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/conintrn.htm an excellent site for info BTW.

I would reccomend the Navy SEALs workout, I'm doing it right now and it's awesome! Oh BTW leg presses aren't good for your knees so be very careful.

Docherty said:
I would reccomend the Navy SEALs workout, I'm doing it right now and it's awesome! Oh BTW leg presses aren't good for your knees so be very careful.

there are a surprising amount of exercises that can be hard on joints. It was recommended to me by my physiotherapist to ensure when doing exercises envolving joints, give them plenty of rest time between exercise periods. if you dont, you can actually begin to tear things that shouldnt be tearing, and wear out the joint. Arthritis is a big factor.I know my fathers knees are totally shot and absolutely filled with Arthritis from his military days.

shortbus: yes it's very good for fat burning. By pushing so hard for an interval then dropping to a very low speed back and forth your body won't get time to adapt and it gets "tricked" into switching immediately to burning fat stores because it believes it needs the energy output from adipose cells. When I lost my 40 lbs over the last 4 months, I used high intensity interval training as my only form of cardio.

zombie: I'm aiming for 5km in 22-23 min, which (to me and from what I have observed) seems to be an average time

Sh0rtbUs said:
I've been told by some that one of the best ways to trim the fat and lose weight is focusing more on Anaerobic activity, rather than aerobic.

Whats your take on this? it makes sense to me... but i'm not exactly an expert in fitness.

If your goal is to lose weight, your best bet is to focus on AEROBIC activity not ANAEROBIC activity.  Anaerobic activity is high intensity which uses carbohydrates (more specifically glucose) for energy.  Performing lower intensity aerobic activity for longer durations will utilize your body to burn fat.  Fat can not be burned fast enough for anaerobic activity.  Ideally to burn fat you want to exercise so you're heart rate is between 50-70% of your max heart rate.  Anaerobic activity literally means 'without oxygen'.  Your body can only sustain this for a couple of minutes at most.  My suggestion is to work on both aerobic and anaerobic fitness.

Yes .. yes we know that. However if you want to lose fat you can do aerobic sure but if you have a good base of fitness and want to lose it fast I'd recommend doing ANAEROBIC, specifically the high intensity interval training I mentioned earlier.

I lost 40 lbs doing HIIT as my only cardio, no joke.

Not only that, so did this guy:

www.johnstonefitness.com

And here is his program where he makes frequent use of HIIT:

http://www.johnstonefitness.com/php/training.php  (edit: it doesn't bring you there for some reason, click on his Training Info link to see it)

So for the record, fat can be burned fast enough through anaerobic activity. It just depends on how you do it and HIIT is the best way. You can do 20 minutes of regular aerobics, after which your body switches to fat stores, or spend 20 minutes burning fat the entire time with HIIT, your choice.

Zombie said:
What are some times you guys can do 5k in?

I usualy run 10K, 1.6k (mile) or 2.4k (1.5 mile).

Based on my times for those distances my 5k is probably between 17 and 19 minutes (according to this chart anyway)

http://home.hia.no/~stephens/runpred.htm

You should judge yourself based on how much you  improve rather than how fast you are compared to other people, though.

17 and 19 minutes .. If I had those times I'd be totally set ............. bastard.

Back