• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running: Training, Problems, Techniques, Questions, etc

A lot of you guys have been messaging me with questions regarding training and injuries. I just wanted to drop a few links.

http://www.ffh.us/cn/hadd.htm

This is pretty much the same thing I told you guys, but he splits it up into more training zones, and provides physiological explanations as to why you should train like this. He‘s found everything out by trial and error.

http://www.runnersworld.com

If you‘re getting serious about running, or have questions about training, equipment, diet, HR, injuries (few of you are mailing me about shin splints), racing, or ANYTHING related to running, this is the place to go. Ask your questions in the forums. They also have training programs which you can fit to your schedule.

http://www.nikerunning.com

Also, it‘s a good thing to keep a running log if you‘re going hardcore. This is the best one that I‘ve seen so far. Click ‘tools‘ to get to it.

If you‘re getting serious, a good first goal to aim for is a 5 or 10K race. If you can do that, maybe aim for a half-marathon (there‘s a good one in Ottawa), or even a full marathon.

Runners are also quite a friendly bunch, so don‘t be shy to drop into your local Running Room. You can always sign up for training clinics there, or even just ask questions.

Happy running. :)

With time (a month or so), your easy days will have you running at a fairly respectable clip, and your pace will increase dramatically, both at your slow pace, and your hard pace.

Christopher, would you please elaborate on this?

Christopher, thanks for the tips on running.

However, how do they actually apply to military training? You don’t have to run a marathon in the army. Generally speaking you don’t have to run under 10 mins for the 1.5 (only for special jobs). I feel physical training for the military needs to be a bit more specialized, closer to the training of a triathlete. I am sure the Infantry members can confirm that they don’t always get “easy” days at work. Can your tips be applied to this…to individuals that have to carry heavy weights for long distances, then drop them and move fast into their positions. Then dig a hole, then run over to a truck of ammo and unload it. Do you see what I am getting at?

I believe that the training should be tailored to the job. I have found success by running anywhere from 200-meter sprints and hill repeats to 5 to 10 k long runs. Within these same workouts I incorporate strength and muscle endurance work. I watch for the signs of “over training” and take proper rest days to allow for recovery. I am “old guy” with a 9:30 1.5 Km as my best time (May 03), I must be doing something right.

What’s is your thoughts? Do you have any tips to target the training to the job?

Thanks

:cdn:

Digger,

It‘s a good point. Obviously, if your job requires high strength (such as heavy weights) or bursts of speed, you would think that heavy anaerobic training would be suitable. On the other hand, if you‘re doing long distances, cardio training will be the best way to go.

What you‘re doing right now, in essence, is handling both. Anaerobic/aerobic training. 200m sprints and hill repeats take their toll on your anaerobic system, while your longer runs test and improve your aerobic system.

In the same way, the training program that I have stated above also does the same. You have both hard, anaerobic days (85%), and easy cardio days (70%). It stresses both cardio and anaerobic. I have just noticed that people usually complain that they plateau, or do not see any improvement over a period of time. That is because they overstress themselves on their ‘easy‘ cardio days, and burn out.

I‘d argue that any training program that includes both would be tailored to the military, even if you are not a competitive runner. After all, if your cardio sucks but your anaerobic system is good, your distance running will suffer. That is the downfall of many ad hoc training programs. Many recruits think if they run hard every day, they will see improvement. They will not. Maybe in the anerobic aspect, but not in the cardio aspect.

For the soldier, I‘d say balance is the key. An infantryman has to draw both from his aerobic and anaerobic stores, and obviously has to have both of them developed. However, specifically for the soldier - I‘d say cross-training is of great importance. Runners don‘t usually focus too much on cross-training, but I think soldiers should. Skills such as swimming (after all, you‘re tested on it) and cycling could be incorporated into your training regimen. After all, one day you could be running into a trench.. The next you could be swimming in a lake.

Thanks again

Can you briefly explain the difference between anaerobic/aerobic conditioning? Also, how long is long run?

Aerobic conditioning trains your body to utilize fat, instead of glycogen. Aerobic power is used for long distance running (typically beyond 1 mile, give or take), and is typically associated with slow-twitch muscle fibres.

Anaerobic conditioning trains your body to withstand high bursts of speed or strength for a short period of time, without surpassing your lactate threshold. This is typically associated with fast-twitch muscle fibres, and shorter running distances (intervals, track workouts).

As for long runs - it depends on you, and what you‘re comfortable with. Veterans sometimes go for 3 hour runs, while new runners usually just go for fifteen or thirty. A good rule of thumb is that your short (anaerobic) run is half of what your long (aerobic) run is. But you run your short one at a faster pace.

I did a search about running and came up with some running routines but my question is i‘m trying to get started in running regularly, I‘m just wondering should I be running with weight in a back pack, (knew my univ textbooks were good for something :p )
is it bad to? is it better to?
should I do a combination of both running with/without weight as well things like wind sprints...
or should I just run with out weight, and do long runs and things like wind sprints etc?

Thanks in advance,

If I were You I would start off with just runing, eventually maybe work your way up to running or jogging with 20-30 lbs, but i wouldnt worry too much about that, just make sure your cardio is good.

When i Was in Basic, we didnt really run with weight on our backs, we did alot of forced marches with full gear on though.

Moderation is important;
Don‘t kill yourself but always increase the level so you don‘t become to complacent with regards to how much you can do. As far as I know running with weights on your back won‘t do anymore damage then normal running.

Forced marching with heavy heavy weights on my back is something I did and noticed a significant improvement in my stamina (I share the textbook sentiment, add a dozen rocks and you should be able to tow a car in a few weeks :D )

I would say no. All running with wieght will to is increase the possibity of you injuring yourself. Especially if not used to running as your lower limbs will have to get used to the strain from the impact of your body weight let alone another 20-30 lbs. My suggestion is, if you are new to running go to this site and pick either the 10K or 5K training plan depending on your level of fitness. Should you still wish to train with weighted loads simply do a forced march on your days off.

Well ive been doing some running and i get cramps after about 10-15 mins, does anyone know any streches or anything how to stop them or have them come later on in the run. thanks guys

(dont know if its in the wrong form this one made the most sense to me)

Alex

Well, there is many factors tha can give you cramps... Lets start with the first one: eating. You should run about 2 hours after a meal (even if the army do not respect this rule :D )

Second, hydratation. If your urine is yellow before the run, it means that you are not fully hydrated. But do not drink too much. You have to experiment by yourself.

Tertio, Calcium. Cramps may be due by a lack of calcium. Why? Because the muscular work is dependent on the release/recapture of calcium ions. Since you are young, drink 3 cup of milk per day.

fourth, muscle itself. I mean by that if you start running too fast, you make a lot of lactic acid but your muscle cannot spontaneously convert it in a most efficient form (named pyruvic acid). So, your muscle will became "acid" and will tell you that you are in some sort killing it by giving you cramps.

Start Slowly then after 10-20 minutes you can go fast as you like. You will not build as many lactic acid than starting fast because you‘ve made some sort of gradual metabolic switch pretty **** difficult to explain in english( after all, i‘m just a french cdn).

I hope i have helped you!

Another thing to add to what they had already stated is start slow and watch your breathing. When I first started running I would breathe faster and faster till I eventually was panting and gasping for more air. I find inhaling deeply through the nose and exhaling through the mouth works well. Hope that helps....

hey guys thanks, quebecrunner i understand what your saying. If you want you could explain it in french, ive been going to a french imersion school since I was in kindergarden. Again thanks alot gonna be drinking alot of water and milk (is chocolate milk ok) lol

take care
Au revoir
Alex

Actually the nutritional value in chocolate milk is similar to white. Its not as big as people think.

Potassium helps prevent muscle cramps - readily available in bananas and Gatorade-type products.

You can also try extract of Sarsparilla root....liquid form. Extreemly high in potassium and get in the blood stream faster. Take it about 1/2 hour prior and your good to go. All natural...no adverse effects (AFAIR). Consult a doc prior though.

Regards

I am training for basic training, and i just can‘t run long distances!! i have tried alot of stuff, but i just can‘t run long distances in a certain ammount of time! if u have any advise, please tell....

There are a lot of thread concerning this topic to a search and you find what you are looking for. How far are in the process?

be consistant and keep going. You may not be noticing the improvements yourself, but they‘re there.

I finished my BMQ and Im finished my SQ in 2 weeks. I just realised that my physical condition had improved ALOT the other night when i ran with my buddy.

Theres lots of different ways people will say to get your cardio up. But the best way is to simply keep running and be regular about it.

Whats slowing you down? Your breathing or your legs tiring out?

Back