• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hybrid Electric Vehicles

And ongoing adherence to above-ground electric distribution…
On a go-forward basis perhaps, but 'retro-burial' would be prohibitively expensive. Besides, I recall a large part of the original ice storm problem was high voltage transmission towers, and it is impractical to bury those.

Those classic cars are just the bodies. They transplant modern diesel engines and transmissions, likely suspension and brakes also from Asian cars. We drove in one, a 52 chev if I remember that had a Kia diesel engine in it. The driver said they could never afford the gas the 52 engine would use.
I heard that it used to be a local backyard industry to 're-shoe' brake pads (Don't know if it still is). It must have been quite a toxic brew in the days of asbestos.

Cuba has much to teach us about keeping used vehicles on the road.
and there will be exemptions for north of 60 for sure. Except if EV becomes standard, ICE becomes a niche market and therefore custom expensive so the folks up north are going to get stiffed regardless. Either they bring in more fuel to run the generators at a premium or they pay premium for a custom F150 ICE.

According to AI, dependent on my payload, I should be able to put my 6000 watt generator in the truck bed, plug it into the truck and recharge while rolling. IF I had an EV truck, which I have no interest in purchasing.

and there will be exemptions for north of 60 for sure. Except if EV becomes standard, ICE becomes a niche market and therefore custom expensive so the folks up north are going to get stiffed regardless. Either they bring in more fuel to run the generators at a premium or they pay premium for a custom F150 ICE.
you will find people will start rebuilding older cars to keep them around.

Like in heavy trucks right now a 1995-2007 model truck is worth a lot more money right now than a 2008-2020 truck. One of my customers just paid $105,000 for a 1994 Pete and sold his 2022 Pete because he couldn't afford the downtime and repairs the emissions systems were costing him. one repair alone had him without his truck for 2 months.
I know of a company that bought and rebuilt 50 pre DPF trucks and sold off all there newer units for the same reason.

Auto shops will be busy restoring anything ICE so people will have at least one non EV at home.

On a go-forward basis perhaps, but 'retro-burial' would be prohibitively expensive. Besides, I recall a large part of the original ice storm problem was high voltage transmission towers, and it is impractical to bury those.

I heard that it used to be a local backyard industry to 're-shoe' brake pads (Don't know if it still is). It must have been quite a toxic brew in the days of asbestos.
I used to take my brake shoes to a place here in Vancouver for the same thing. Garages used to trim brake shoes to fit drums.

Don't know what CRA considers a "Used" vehicle i.e. year built/mileage, but my bet we will see a huge market for "Used" vehicles mainly imported from the USA.

2035 is not going to happen, either through elections or industry not being ready.
I sure hope so.
The new rules will require zero-emissions vehicles — which include battery electric, hydrogen and plug-in electric vehicles — to make up 20 per cent of all new car sales in 2026, 60 per cent in 2030 and 100 per cent in 2035, the reports said.

Don't know what CRA considers a "Used" vehicle i.e. year built/mileage, but my bet we will see a huge market for "Used" vehicles mainly imported from the USA.

The LPC would just make it illegal to register/insure any vehicles after 2035 that are not zero emissions. Our minister of eco terrorism is crazy enough.

Two cases now where relatively minor damage to the battery is either a $60k replacement or complete vehicle writeoff by insurance.

This doesn't sound very environmentally friendly, or cheaper for the consumer in running or insurance costs, when you're scrapping an entire vehicle for battery dents.

I know it sounds like it, but I don't absolutely hate EVs. However, before I can take them seriously the price needs to come down by the thousands, not hundreds of dollars. The technology needs massive improvement, much longer ranges and efficiencies. Much shorter recharge times. The spontaneous combustion problem needs to be eliminated, period.

Lastly, but probably the number one reason I won't purchase one. I refuse to spend that amount of my money just because some convicted ecoterrorist zealot demands I do so, to satisfy his ego and ingratiate himself to the most dishonest, dictitorial charlatan Canada has ever seen take a seat in the PMO. The whole party is complicit. First they are going to cost me thousands by stealing my private property with C-21, then they are going to make me spend more thousands to increase the value of their dividends from green technology and battery technologies investment.

It isn't the EV itself that is evil. It is the government who, once more, is taking another personal choice away from me and replacing it with marxist dogma and edicts from the Iron Throne.

I know it sounds like it, but I don't absolutely hate EVs.

If EVs end up being mandated, fine. However it won’t be our only vehicle, we will have a 2030s+ ICE as our second. By the time it completely falls apart I’ll be too old to drive anyway.

The LPC would just make it illegal to register/insure any vehicles after 2035 that are not zero emissions. Our minister of eco terrorism is crazy enough.
Importation is one thing but they would have to find fellow travellers in the provincial premiers since both are provincial jurisdiction.

I had a 2009 Toyota Highlander Hybrid until the rear suspension cooked in 2021 and I had to trade it. I wanted to get a Sienna (Toyota Minivan) Hybrid but there was a minimum of an 8 month waiting list. I ended up with a Chrysler Pacifica, non-hybrid version.

I very much miss the hybrid. Better gas milage, more power when needed.

I also used it as a standby generator; light loads only, no inverter on the high voltage battery, although if I wasn't so afraid of the 288VDC I might have built one. The fact it spent most of it's time not idling but still pushing power was great (the grid in NS is one of those model train ones it seems). I'm not a real army guy (a few years as a reservists 30+ years ago doesn't count), but I think hybrids make a lot of sense. Stop pulling around generators, not run the gennie all the time because you can use the battery as required, quiet EV only patrolling... I can understand why people don't want EV pick-ups (for those that need them), but I don't get the reluctance to uptake on hybrid pickups... again more power, and leave out the generator (7200W available at the tailgate).

I don't think Toyota has "left the chat" on EVs yet; they've put a lot of money into the hybrid synergy drive and it shows, and it's just getting better. I couldn't bother to look it up but they will be all Hybrid except their relatively few EVs soon.

I understand the worries abut Lithium Ion batteries; there is a history there. I also get why hybrids are the worst of the bunch, they have both the ICE and the battery. Good li-ion batteries don't spontaneously combust... either they are cheap, or have a cheap BMS (battery management system, leading to over/under charging), or get damaged. I have a 200aH li-ion in my (tiny) trailer (a little bit of overkill) with a very good (Victron Energy) inverter charger and I trust it enough I put it in my house (miss it with the move, haven't got it done yet, and the power has been out). Ran my last house overnight without the generator, and only took about an hour to recharge.

I was able to check every cell with an app on my head unit in my Highlander and they were all still good after over 10 years and almost 200k. Contrary to popular belief the batteries are also re-usable/recyclable (it was the most valuable part of the vehicle on trade).

I personally think that algae fuels are a key part of the solution. They pull as much CO2 out as burning them puts in, very efficiently using solar to do that. They also make use of the existing distribution system. Couple that with a maturing hybrid technology and I think you got a medium term winner, until we sort direct to electric nuclear or fusion or...

That's where I do disagree with our governments policy. Although I'm no fan of runaway capitalism, in this case let the market decide. It's by no means decided in my head that pure EVs are the way forward, but the infrastructure costs are huge. We should guide the industry so it is also in the social good but let all the different tech develop, not force the possible wrong answer. At the same time we need to ensure that users of the legacy tech are paying the full cost of doing so (which will be huge when we hit peak oil, or the worst case climate change scenarios play out).

Algae has got a better future, in my opinion, as feed

Convert that CO2 into sheep and cattle Plant based roasts for everyone. And oysters and shrimp.

Hybrids are definitely the way to go. Leave EV to be the niche vehicle they are. I am already seeing a upvalue to older 4x4 and thinking it may be worth putting a fair bit into my 2006 RR than to try to replace it.

Speaking of Li-ion batteries apparently there is a cargo ship off the coast of Alaska that is on fire; no official cause yet, but it was carrying a cargo Li-ion batteries.

Despite what the government wants us to do? I'm shocked...

Canada faces declining EV interest, report shows, despite push to boost sales​

As Canada continues its work towards net-zero carbon emissions, including through its mandate for at least 20 per cent of car sales to be electric vehicles (EVs) by 2026, a new report showing a declining interest in the products is raising questions whether that goal is doable.

70c8fc80

On Monday, AutoTrader.ca released its 2023 top search data into some of the most popular vehicles searched on their marketplace this year and while it showed a rise in popularity of trucks, the number showing an intent to purchase an EV has declined from one year prior.

In 2022, the data found about 68 per cent of car shoppers who did not own an EV showing an intent to purchase one amid the record high gas prices faced and the growing inflation. This year, that purchase intention has dropped to 56 per cent and while that’s still more than half of Canadians surveyed, it was still a major drop.

Back