• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hybrid Electric Vehicles

Are 100 amp electrical panels still the standard for new home construction or has 200 become the norm?
That does not much matter if the grid cannot handle it.

My brother bought a Tesla. He was denied a permit for a fast charger by his municipality because the grid in his entire neighbourhood cannot take any more load. The solution was to slave the charger to his kitchen oven circuit, with a switch that is preferential to the oven. When they cook, the Tesla stops charging. So, a Tesla charge takes 8 hrs or so. Probably not the end of the world.

Not on the prairies, no. But when you think about the sizes, 1 section (1 mile x 1x mile) is 640 acres. So even if you are farming several sections (thousands of acres) road distance isn't that far. Granted, I'm speaking more to crop farming. But your point is valid about distances, the closest parts dealer for your equipment might be 2 hours away or farther, so getting there and back on a single charge could be touch and go. I was looking more at on farm use, not as commuters.

My brother bought a Tesla. He was denied a permit for a fast charger by his municipality because the grid in his entire neighbourhood cannot take any more load. The solution was to slave the charger to his kitchen oven circuit, with a switch that is preferential to the oven. When they cook, the Tesla stops charging. So, a Tesla charge takes 8 hrs or so. Probably not the end of the world.
Understood. My question was a standalone on a point I don’t know and am curious about.

Not on the prairies, no. But when you think about the sizes, 1 section (1 mile x 1x mile) is 640 acres. So even if you are farming several sections (thousands of acres) road distance isn't that far. Granted, I'm speaking more to crop farming. But your point is valid about distances, the closest parts dealer for your equipment might be 2 hours away or farther, so getting there and back on a single charge could be touch and go. I was looking more at on farm use, not as commuters.
That is the problem- how is the farmer supposed to get to town? Or his kids to school? An electric bus on grid roads at -30c ain’t going to cut it.

How are remote first nation communities supposed to work without ICE vehicles?

Was he looking at upgrading his panel? If not, this decision by the municipality makes no sense. His house is likely already permitted to use up to 200 amps. Whether he uses this to charge his Tesla, or run carpentry equipment and his hot tub, it shouldn't matter to the municipality. Just that the installation is done correctly.

To keep this thread on topic, maybe the greater concern is the ensuing damage caused by accidently firing a round through the floor, trying to get the gun out to plink a few gophers.

Understood. My question was a standalone on a point I don’t know and am curious about.
I believe the current minimum in Ontario is 100A but I don't know what the 'norm' is. I would suspect it is 200 since the cost difference at the time of a build/major reno is minimal. The previous Liberal government introduced Code changes to mandate an increase to 200A and rough-ins for EV chargers. The Ford Conservatives canned the latter and I'm only guessing that they killed the former as well but do not know for certain.

Was he looking at upgrading his panel? If not, this decision by the municipality makes no sense. His house is likely already permitted to use up to 200 amps. Whether he uses this to charge his Tesla, or run carpentry equipment and his hot tub, it shouldn't matter to the municipality. Just that the installation is done correctly.
It depends on the house. Different ampacity requires different conductor sizes which requires different conduit sizes and on and on. In older neighbourhoods and rural areas I'll bet there are still some 60A services around.

There are actually some 'smart' EVSEs coming on the market that will throttle the charge rate depending on other load demands, either via wi-fi or DIP switches, along with time-of-day, etc. Some jurisdictions are slow to adopt them because of concerns that people won't use them safely. a lot of the Electrical Code is intended to idiot-proof the system and protect us from ourselves. Your brother got away with sharing because it is an either-or A/B switch but I have heard some jurisdictions and inspectors won't allow it because the Code calls for a "dedicated" circuit for heavy loads like stoves, WHs and dryers.

The 6.8 L V8. I love it and best of all, gas is free because it's my Company Truck 😁

I'm really liking Ford's 7.3L Godzilla gasser in the super duty's. It I stay with diesel I will be going back in time to a 90s 7.3L IDI or Navistar, depending on year.

Actually, electric trucks on a farming operation make a lot of sense. They tend to be used for short distances, with a lot of starting and stopping, and tend to have large periods of time they sit idle. They are usually required for work requiring large torque/low speed needs, which electric motors excel at. And large farms tend to have multiple out buildings, all hooked to the grid in some fashion, so adding in charging stations to keep them topped up shouldn't be an issue.

Now, the issue that would be faced, the same as the military with COTS vehicles in the field, is making them robust enough to survive the climatic conditions and off road conditions.
Hybrids are the way to go and I like this guys idea's

When it comes to electric trucks these guys have the only viable answer IMO. They take out the 15L diesel and put a 9L diesel generator in the truck. Then they install electric axles and build the truck to handle logging in B.C.
The batteries stay warm because the diesel engine coolant heats them and when it's not on a webasto style heater keeps them warm.
They are reporting 25-50% better fuel economy than pure diesel with no range limit.

They are designing a kit for 3/4-1 tons using a 3L diesel generator.

They are also exploring military applications for it.

When it comes to electric trucks these guys have the only viable answer IMO. They take out the 15L diesel and put a 9L diesel generator in the truck. Then they install electric axles and build the truck to handle logging in B.C.
The batteries stay warm because the diesel engine coolant heats them and when it's not on a webasto style heater keeps them warm.
They are reporting 25-50% better fuel economy than pure diesel with no range limit.

Very interesting

I WANT!!!!

This si a good example of where all the lofty Liberal goals, for housing, electic vehicles etc, will never come to fruition...

... thousands of municipalities continue to have a huge say in what will, and will not, happen under their jurisdictions.

This si a good example of where all the lofty Liberal goals, for housing, electic vehicles etc, will never come to fruition...

... thousands of municipalities continue to have a huge say in what will, and will not, happen under their jurisdictions.
There are undoubtedly numerous locations where the wiring has not been updated to allow for everyone on the system to install a high-speed charger which is going to be the requirement in 2035 and they don't have the financial resources to do so. Drive around your area, and if you see the old green transformers bolted to the poles you can bet that the service won't take the load. But that is just one of the problems. What does a person do who parks on the street or pays for a remote garage? Does the garage owner become responsible for upgrading the wiring system in the parking area? I doubt that most municipal parking areas, not to mention private ones, have no where near the capacity to install a charging unit for each spot and rewiring a concrete structure to handle the increased load is neither easy nor cheap. New conduit throughout to take the heavier cabling is just a start. Look at the cable for your stove or dryer and then try and picture the system required to run a dozen or more of them through a garage. It won't be only the municipalities that say no but everyone who is confronted with the bill for the change-over

The purpose of going full electric is to shift energy dependencies to China.

The frustrating (and ironic given the name of the thread) the is the pure blind zealotry (over-zealousness?) is the all or nothing approach. I read that PHEV's are "allowed", but it's stupid that they're not emphasized answer with BEV's as a niche tool. It's not enough to drastically reduce emissions with vehicles that don't force massive lifestyle changes or require massive infrastructure upgrades- ICE needs to go completely because we say so, and the ends justify the means.

Back