• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2021 federal budget and the CAF

I don't see how millions of dollars (especially taken from other areas of the CAF) will combat sexual harassment and assault in the CAF.

Is that hush money to stop people from reporting?
Are we paying people bonuses to stop sexually harassing and assaulting people? Like a FORCE TEST incentive?
Are going to pay a research company millions of dollars to tell us what the problem is?
Maybe a new head quarters and command staff, nice new building?

Maybe GoC is planning to contract WE to conduct the next 5 years of anti-sexual misconduct/harassment/assault training?

These conversations always remind me of when I was a kid listening to my dad say we didn't have enough money for XYZ and my mother saying "Well Christmas is coming so figure it out".

Its all about balance to me. Do we have; and are we projecting to continue to have the tax paying base to continue to be able to cover all of our government spending ?

As for Que. I love the province but I cant help but wonder where it would be without the rest of Canada injecting money into it every year. Sometimes I feel like Canada is being extorted for its own existence.

These conversations always remind me of when I was a kid listening to my dad say we didn't have enough money for XYZ and my mother saying "Well Christmas is coming so figure it out".

Its all about balance to me. Do we have; and are we projecting to continue to have the tax paying base to continue to be able to cover all of our government spending ?
People should love this policy. It literally creates a bigger tax base.

• After four decades of similarity, fertility rates have been slightly higher in Quebec than in Ontario since 2005. In 2016, Quebec’s total fertility rate was 1.59 children per woman, while Ontario’s was 1.46.
  • The difference was mostly driven by women in their twenties, who tend to have more children in Quebec than in Ontario. This is partly because the proportion of women in their twenties who are in a couple is higher in Quebec (39%, versus 28% in Ontario in 2016).
  • As fertility rates increased in Quebec, the labour force participation of women aged 15 to 44 also increased, exceeding that of women in Ontario after 2003. In 2016, the participation rate of women was 81% in Quebec, compared with 75% in Ontario.
  • Most of the relative increase in female labour force participation in Quebec occurred among women with young children. Between 1996 and 2016, the labour force participation rate of women whose youngest child was under the age of 3 increased by nearly 20 percentage points in Quebec, compared with a 4 percentage point increase in Ontario. The Quebec–Ontario difference was smaller among women without children under the age of 13.
  • Changes in the composition of the population of women aged 15 to 44 and differences in real wage growth for this population do not explain the divergent trends observed in female labour force participation in Quebec and Ontario after 1996. At the same time, the costs associated with child care and housekeeping services grew less in Quebec than in Ontario over the period.
So take women, between the ages of 18-44, and have 81 percent working as opposed to 75 percent.

There are 6.77 million women between the ages of 18-44 in Canada.

Take out quebecs 26 percent of the population, 5m even, more or less.

so if 75 percent, going off ontarios numbers, are working, you have 3.75m women working.

bring that up to 81 percent, you're at 4 million.

250,000 more women. The national average salary in Canada is 54,600, so that's an extra 13.6 billion dollars in economic activity annually. Not including all the money saved by those who are dropping 20k a year on childcare.
As for Que. I love the province but I cant help but wonder where it would be without the rest of Canada injecting money into it every year. Sometimes I feel like Canada is being extorted for its own existence.
I wonder if you feel this way about PEI,NS, NB.

People should love this policy. It literally creates a bigger tax base.

• After four decades of similarity, fertility rates have been slightly higher in Quebec than in Ontario since 2005. In 2016, Quebec’s total fertility rate was 1.59 children per woman, while Ontario’s was 1.46.
  • The difference was mostly driven by women in their twenties, who tend to have more children in Quebec than in Ontario. This is partly because the proportion of women in their twenties who are in a couple is higher in Quebec (39%, versus 28% in Ontario in 2016).
  • As fertility rates increased in Quebec, the labour force participation of women aged 15 to 44 also increased, exceeding that of women in Ontario after 2003. In 2016, the participation rate of women was 81% in Quebec, compared with 75% in Ontario.
  • Most of the relative increase in female labour force participation in Quebec occurred among women with young children. Between 1996 and 2016, the labour force participation rate of women whose youngest child was under the age of 3 increased by nearly 20 percentage points in Quebec, compared with a 4 percentage point increase in Ontario. The Quebec–Ontario difference was smaller among women without children under the age of 13.
  • Changes in the composition of the population of women aged 15 to 44 and differences in real wage growth for this population do not explain the divergent trends observed in female labour force participation in Quebec and Ontario after 1996. At the same time, the costs associated with child care and housekeeping services grew less in Quebec than in Ontario over the period.
So take women, between the ages of 18-44, and have 81 percent working as opposed to 75 percent.

There are 6.77 million women between the ages of 18-44 in Canada.

Take out quebecs 26 percent of the population, 5m even, more or less.

so if 75 percent, going off ontarios numbers, are working, you have 3.75m women working.

bring that up to 81 percent, you're at 4 million.

250,000 more women. The national average salary in Canada is 54,600, so that's an extra 13.6 billion dollars in economic activity annually. Not including all the money saved by those who are dropping 20k a year on childcare.

I wonder if you feel this way about PEI,NS, NB.

I recall somebody once wrote that Canada is a nation held together by bribes; although we are far from alone in that regard.

I love how I spend time to do the math, and you focused on this one snippet.
I think you're being overly defensive. I'm not disagreeing with your position.

I see the reason for equalization payments and it make sense that all Canadians should expect the same basic levels of things like medical care where ever they live. I also think places like Que and the Maritimes are allowed to live outside their means, somewhat, because of that. And any mention of readjustment of this will lead to howls of separation from certain segments of Ques citizenry.

I'm also cool with universal child care. If we can afford it as a nation. What I am not cool with, is my tax rate going up. If I have to live within my means so should every government at every level, especially when they exist solely on my involuntary contributions.

I see the reason for equalization payments and it make sense that all Canadians should expect the same basic levels of things like medical care where ever they live. I also think places like Que and the Maritimes are allowed to live outside their means, somewhat, because of that. And any mention of readjustment of this will lead to howls of separation from certain segments of Ques citizenry.

I'm also cool with universal child care. If we can afford it as a nation. What I am not cool with, is my tax rate going up. If I have to live within my means so should every government at every level, especially when they exist solely on my involuntary contributions.

That's an interesting point of view from someone living from said taxes.

As more women enter the workforce after giving birth the more affordable this becomes. if we get to Quebec workplace participation, and 13.6 billion more in economic activity is generated, I think it more or less pays for itself.

Who also pays taxes, same as every other Canadian.

Am I not to be concerned about where our tax dollars are spent, or our level of taxation ?

My comment was more about you last part about the "involuntary" contributions, as if it was a bad thing.

Would you have the same reservations if that $2B was invested in the CAF instead?

As more women enter the workforce after giving birth the more affordable this becomes. if we get to Quebec workplace participation, and 13.6 billion more in economic activity is generated, I think it more or less pays for itself.
Then I'm cool with it. Just dont tax me any further, use what's already given.

My comment was more about you last part about the "involuntary" contributions, as if it was a bad thing.

Would you have the same reservations if that $2B was invested in the CAF instead?
Involuntary meaning the Gov does not ask me for my money they take if before I get it.

I don't give a sweet hoot where they put the GD money. All I am saying is don't raise my taxes.

And no; I wouldn't support more funding for the CAF it meant my taxes went up either.

So, there is no tax hike announced with this budget. Why is childcare an issue for you then??

So, there is no tax hike announced with this budget. Why is childcare an issue for you then??
Did you read this correctly:

Its called a cautionary statement. Meaning I'm cool with it, but don't take more of my income. If no more of my money is taken there is no issue.

You seem to be trying to find malcontent where there is none. #trollmuch ?

Borrowing money just delays the tax cut...…... so those kids raised by the day care nanny state have to pay for us living like the dirtbags we are. We need to bring them into a future where we haven't spent them broke before they even grow up.

Borrowing money just delays the tax cut...…... so those kids raised by the day care nanny state have to pay for us living like the dirtbags we are. We need to bring them into a future where we haven't spent them broke before they even grow up.
despite those kids parents, especially mothers, returning to the work force, contributing around 13.6 billion more to the economy, thus having the program more or less pay for itself.

dirtbags indeed.

If it "pays for itself" then why would we need it????

Back