• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2023 Canadian Armed Forces General and Flag Officer senior promotions and appointments

Private Industry has never have a .gov type leave policy, nor the employment safeguards.
I think you are speaking from your personal experience. Some people on industry are quite well protected, and some employers do have generous leave.

Regardless, you are still calling to take from others what you don’t have instead of calling on industry to look after their own.

I think you are speaking from your personal experience. Some people on industry are quite well protected, and some employers do have generous leave.
No one in the private sector is well protected when compared to government, as at the end of the day companies aren’t guaranteed success, and unless you’re the Board or Owner, if something happens to the company anyone is expendable.

Regardless, you are still calling to take from others what you don’t have instead of calling on industry to look after their own.
Because for profit companies won’t pay for it. The reasons for that are the customers won’t pay for the increases that would take.

Imagine if LocMart, RTX etc gave everyone a leave plan like the .gov. You would end up needing x2 the personnel and everything would cost x2 at least.

No one in the private sector is well protected when compared to government, as at the end of the day companies aren’t guaranteed success, and unless you’re the Board or Owner, if something happens to the company anyone is expendable.

Because for profit companies won’t pay for it. The reasons for that are the customers won’t pay for the increases that would take.

Imagine if LocMart, RTX etc gave everyone a leave plan like the .gov. You would end up needing x2 the personnel and everything would cost x2 at least.
Jesus wept- can you even imagine a scenario where there were cost over runs on a Lockmart project?

What are the leave policies like at MBDA, Airbus, or other European companies? Do they align with their govt policies (which are quite generous)?

I would suggest that LockMart and RTX could charge Scrooge McDuck levels of money for their products and the US Govt would pay, due to “buy American”. Their international exports may suffer though.

What are the leave policies like at MBDA, Airbus, or other European companies? Do they align with their govt policies (which are quite generous)?
Europe isn’t North America. Yes Europe is very different.

I would suggest that LockMart and RTX could charge Scrooge McDuck levels of money for their products and the US Govt would pay, due to “buy American”. Their international exports may suffer though.
Fair. But other industries not so much.

Sure, but most GOFOs interact with external folks at some point or another. If we WSE all of them, we end up with the same issue.

As an aside, our staff hangers-on are generally a rank or two below the equivalent (i.e. GOFO of the same rank) for our FVEY allies, and with smaller teams in general.
In our NATO meetings we're at least a rank lower than our counterparts generally with much, much smaller teams and that includes the US. NZ seems to be about the same.

They absolutely get more done but it's still weird sometimes when you realize you are working as a 2 1/2 and when you talk to someone with similar responsibilities in the US they are a one star or something. The scope is bigger with a larger budget, but not that much bigger.

Definitely a lot of GO/FO bloat, but I think a lot of that is because we try and have all the same capabilities being worked on as a tier one military, except we use skeleton teams which can result in pretty questionable results. Other countries that are actually comparable seem to focus on much more specific and limited scope of things but resource them properly and do them very well.

I think if instead of trying to be able to field a fully self sustained independent force we picked some specific things for the army, air force and navy to focus on and dropped a lot of fluff we'd probably bring a lot more to the table in real terms than continuing to spread ourselves thin by trying to do everything, which results in a lot of compromises and some equipment that doesn't really do anything well, but can kind of do a lot of things a bit half assed.

CSC is probably a good example, we took a very good ASW platform and turned it into a destroyer that will also be doing ASW, interdictions, land bombardment etc etc (but without bunks to have people onboard to do it all at once anyway). Weirdly it's now way too top heavy and blown through weight margins before delivery, with a lot of passageways that look huge actually only one person wide when you see all the stuff jammed in there.

I think if instead of trying to be able to field a fully self sustained independent force we picked some specific things for the army, air force and navy to focus on and dropped a lot of fluff we'd probably bring a lot more to the table in real terms than continuing to spread ourselves thin by trying to do everything, which results in a lot of compromises and some equipment that doesn't really do anything well, but can kind of do a lot of things a bit half assed.

Agreed.

In our NATO meetings we're at least a rank lower than our counterparts generally with much, much smaller teams and that includes the US. NZ seems to be about the same.

They absolutely get more done but it's still weird sometimes when you realize you are working as a 2 1/2 and when you talk to someone with similar responsibilities in the US they are a one star or something. The scope is bigger with a larger budget, but not that much bigger.

Definitely a lot of GO/FO bloat, but I think a lot of that is because we try and have all the same capabilities being worked on as a tier one military, except we use skeleton teams which can result in pretty questionable results. Other countries that are actually comparable seem to focus on much more specific and limited scope of things but resource them properly and do them very well.

CSC is probably a good example, we took a very good ASW platform and turned it into a destroyer that will also be doing ASW, interdictions, land bombardment etc etc (but without bunks to have people onboard to do it all at once anyway). Weirdly it's now way too top heavy and blown through weight margins before delivery, with a lot of passageways that look huge actually only one person wide when you see all the stuff jammed in there.
Well you have convening covered…

I guess that’s one niche ;)

Concentration of effort is good business.

The problem for us becomes which sacred cows do we send to the slaughter house ? We Canadians are awful at making these hard decisions.

CG still marches. Bands still band. Headquarters still command other headquarters that have no line function.

There is some room to get serious without cutting fighter squadrons, infantry battalions or frigates…

;)

James Ransone Sacrilege GIF by The Roku Channel

Back