• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Deeply Fractured US

This made me think of a point I heard from a podcast. The interviewee was a Black Canadian woman talking about equality.

Her example is that she has a Caucasian friend who was low-income, born to a single mother, and worked hard to get by. So, said friend didn’t believe in “white privilege” as she had to work so hard to rise up. The interviewee then said “now imagine that you and I are in the same income bracket, same upbringing, and the only difference was the colour of our skin. We both interview for a [civilian] job - chances are, you (the Caucasian woman) would get it over me. I would have to work harder to be let in the door.”

While DEI efforts try to change that, it’s not really a surprise that people of certain ethnicities get treated differently if, say, they are shopping at a high end store. Or if they are a professional (medical, legal, whatever) but aren’t taken as seriously.

Later in the podcast she talks about the disparity in medical care and outcomes for Black and Caucasian Canadian women. It was pretty eye-opening. I’ll need to find it again.

Have you see Trump's deposition tapes and how much he couldn't "recall."

Hur ran a hatched job. Everyone knows it.
If you're reduced to a weak assertion that "everyone" knows that is basically "two wrongs make a right", you've lost any hope of defending Biden.

Meanwhile, Tony Bobulinski's opening statement from his House testimony yesterday asserts that Joe was the business, and Joe was aware of it. The statement acknowledged that he was there under oath, and mentioned his prior under-oath testimony to investigators. So if he's spinning a tale, he has laid himself wide open.

Hello gang,

Many of you know I am very deeply following Canadian politics. For American politics, I must plead ignorance.

On Trump running for president, I am looking for a source for a rumour or fact on his promises.

A Canadian relative who owns property in the USA, is convinced that if Trump gets elected, she will not able to take the money out of the USA if she sells her home. She is considering preemptively selling her property based on this rumour/promise.

Anybody tracking more factual info on this?

Hello gang,

Many of you know I am very deeply following Canadian politics. For American politics, I must plead ignorance.

On Trump running for president, I am looking for a source for a rumour or fact on his promises.

A Canadian relative who owns property in the USA, is convinced that if Trump gets elected, she will not able to take the money out of the USA if she sells her home. She is considering preemptively selling her property based on this rumour/promise.

No, and it sounds like paranoid BS to me. Now, maybe they have some unusual tax requirements for non-citizens or non-residents who dispose of capital property, but as long as you’re moving money cleanly and are not on the wrong end of a criminal investigation, I’ve not heard of their being any real barriers to moving your capital.

Caveat, always possible there’s some proposal I’ve not heard of.

Hello gang,

First I've heard of such a thing, which doesn't particularly mean anything. I found a few lists of things Trump reportedly threatens to do, and that was on none of them. I doubt a president can unilaterally do that; there'd have to be enabling legislation, which means Congress. Best course would be to consult a tax expert in the US.

This is either going to be a complete fizzle (untrue), or a lot of fun to watch unfold.

Michael Shellenberger asserts, on the basis of unnamed sources, that the CIA asked foreign agencies to conduct surveillance of 26 "Trump associates" on its behalf. For those unaware, for the CIA to use foreign agencies to do what it is constitutionally unable to do would be a huge no-no; it amounts to illegal spying and election interference.

Supposedly a "binder" exists containing documents which support the allegation, that Trump ordered it (the contents) declassified, that the responsible agency refused to declassify it, and that the evidence is either still being kept under wraps or has gone missing.

This is either going to be a complete fizzle (untrue), or a lot of fun to watch unfold.

Michael Shellenberger asserts, on the basis of unnamed sources, that the CIA asked foreign agencies to conduct surveillance of 26 "Trump associates" on its behalf. For those unaware, for the CIA to use foreign agencies to do what it is constitutionally unable to do would be a huge no-no; it amounts to illegal spying and election interference.

Supposedly a "binder" exists containing documents which support the allegation, that Trump ordered it (the contents) declassified, that the responsible agency refused to declassify it, and that the evidence is either still being kept under wraps or has gone missing.

I want to say something of this nature surfaced near the end of his presidency, he ordered it declassified but the agency refused... his term ended and it went dark...

edit: yes there it is in the last para of the link.

I want to say something of this nature surfaced near the end of his presidency, he ordered it declassified but the agency refused... his term ended and it went dark...

I recall something of the sort in the news at the time as well.

Hello gang,

Also haven't seen/heard anything this specific, but I'm not tracking in miniscule detail. I also suspect that if that was the case, it would create enough of a stir among foreign owners of property in the U.S. to hear something in public.

So I watched a clip of McConnell on the senate floor pushing the aid for Ukraine bill. He started talking about all the benefits the money would bring to US companies and workers. I found that a bit puzzling. What I did find out though surprised me and something I didn't know.
Apparently the money doesn't go to Ukraine. It goes to US military industrial contractors to pay for munitions and equipment.

These guys The Top 10 Federal Defense Contractors – Bloomberg Government

Things make a lot more sense now.

Yep, with a motion to dismiss they will probably get the trial stopped before it can start.
The same way our red and orange liberals adjourn committee inquiries before the chair has finished their welcome speech. It screams cover up, disrespect for the process and disdain for the electorate.

So I watched a clip of McConnell on the senate floor pushing the aid for Ukraine bill. He started talking about all the benefits the money would bring to US companies and workers. I found that a bit puzzling. What I did find out though surprised me and something I didn't know.
Apparently the money doesn't go to Ukraine. It goes to US military industrial contractors to pay for munitions and equipment.

These guys The Top 10 Federal Defense Contractors – Bloomberg Government

Things make a lot more sense now.
Yup, always been the case for most military aid. Basically the US government is sponsoring purchase of (mostly US) equipment, systems, and technology to donate to Ukraine. They aren’t just writing them a cheque.

Hello gang,

I know nothing about your question so I'll stay quiet on that. The dems are winding up their rumour mill and searching for stuff that sticks. They keep going with the Russian Collusion thing, but I don't think it'll be their main thrust. They're trying to get the dictator thing going, the hitler thing, the NATO traitor narrative, etc. They thought the NATO thing was a slam dunk, but Trump’s numbers went up again when they started blowing it up. All that to say, from now until November, nothing will be to outlandish for the dems to try. For your particular ask, I would suggest your relative speak to some real estate people. They would be the first ones trying to work it, if true.

If the "binder" existed and contained information from foreign Intel agencies Trump would have no authority to declassify without permission from the originating agencies.

If the "binder" existed and contained information from foreign Intel agencies Trump would have no authority to declassify without permission from the originating agencies.
Anything in US hands is within the president's authority to declassify. It might not be smart, but it's difficult to imagine blowback from foreign agencies, because it could only confirm the underlying scandal: "Yeah, we spied on US citizens and passed info along to the CIA to discredit you; how dare you reveal that."

Anything in US hands is within the president's authority to declassify. It might not be smart, but it's difficult to imagine blowback from foreign agencies, because it could only confirm the underlying scandal: "Yeah, we spied on US citizens and passed info along to the CIA to discredit you; how dare you reveal that."
Yes, agreed the POTUS, with a couple of exceptions, has almost absolute power to declassify documents, but after a quick look I couldn't find anything that specifically referenced information/intelligence from other countries. But like you say it would be embarrassing and works both ways.

Back