• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Deeply Fractured US

Imagine thinking this is the 1800s.

Buddy, have you heard about these recent inventions like the aeroplane, the radio, the TV, the internet?

This is a globalized world, and the "liberal" globalists push the same stuff in every Western country, and their opponents are increasingly reaching out to each other.
Well then why are we even having separate threads on various elections, etc if they’re all interconnected anyways?

Yes, this is a globalized world. If we’re going to talk about reaching out between countries, the CPC is looking at what the GOP is saying and doing. But talking about the CPC isn’t relevant to this thread. I may feel more drawn to the Dems if I was an American voter, but I’m not so I don’t say “us” when referring to the Dems, nor do I say “them” when referring to GOP.

Either way - unlike what’s happening in the US, politics isn’t always an “us v them” thing.

Either way - unlike what’s happening in the US, politics isn’t always an “us v them” thing.
Last month there was a really good article in the NYT, about why Democracy tends to fail, and it’s mainly about the way that the Parties operate and acquire power, so it’s no longer a true democracy, but the larger parties playing US v THEM, and find individual voter and entire constituencies lose their voice.

Especially since the vast, vast majority of folks in this forum don’t live in the US.

It’s one thing to debate American politics, but unless you live there then “us” and “them” aren’t really valid terms.
Well, I live less than a kilometer from downtown Detroit. What happens in the US affects me.

She has literally made the demand three times today. This isn’t her joking or being sarcastic, nor is it ‘us vs them’, it’s just Boebert sidling up to an already low bar of expectations and still finding room to squirm under. But it’s indicative of the sort of bad faith that comes even from congressional representatives… In a thread about America’s fracture, it’s topical.

Receipts:

Perhaps we are at the point where Jimmy Carter might out live Joe Biden.

Well, I live less than a kilometer from downtown Detroit. What happens in the US affects me.
What happens in the US affects all of us in Canada.

My point was that unless you (or anyone) can vote in the US, calling a US party “us” and another US party “them” is a bit misleading. It’s like Canadians with Trump or Harris or whatever US candidate paraphernalia - unless they happen to be dual citizens and can vote in US elections, what’s the point of the support?

Those that support the Republican position and those who don't.
Again, politics doesn’t have to be an “us v them” game. It’s possible to support parts of one party platform, and parts of another one. Who you end up voting for should be who reflects your voting intentions more.

Being only 100% towards one or the other party is frankly ridiculous. I know of some very left leaning folks who own many guns and support 2A, for example. They flip on most elections based on the party platform.

What happens in the US affects all of us in Canada.

My point was that unless you (or anyone) can vote in the US, calling a US party “us” and another US party “them” is a bit misleading. It’s like Canadians with Trump or Harris or whatever US candidate paraphernalia - unless they happen to be dual citizens and can vote in US elections, what’s the point of the support?

Again, politics doesn’t have to be an “us v them” game. It’s possible to support parts of one party platform, and parts of another one. Who you end up voting for should be who reflects your voting intentions more.

Being only 100% towards one or the other party is frankly ridiculous. I know of some very left leaning folks who own many guns and support 2A, for example. They flip on most elections based on the party platform.

Have it however you want it.

It’s possible to support parts of one party platform, and parts of another one. Who you end up voting for should be who reflects your voting intentions more.
I’d add the caveat “without unacceptably compromising any of your core values or principles”. No poison-pill deal breaker, in other words.

I'm sorry, are you saying you are against "reasonable"?

Said nothing of the sort, but nice try. I'm saying it's not worth getting into a pissing contest over. You do whatever makes you happy, but I'm not obligated to agree with your stance. You know by now, I cut my own path. You can agree, disagree or ignore, as some do. I'll discuss things that are of interest to me and those with a genuine want to discuss them. Trying to bait me, embarrass me or cancel me only gets you ignored. I'm not everyone's cup of tea and I also have those who I could absolutely care less about. Take away what you will from all of this.

Said nothing of the sort, but nice try. I'm saying it's not worth getting into a pissing contest over. You do whatever makes you happy, but I'm not obligated to agree with your stance. You know by now, I cut my own path. You can agree, disagree or ignore, as some do. I'll discuss things that are of interest to me and those with a genuine want to discuss them. Trying to bait me, embarrass me or cancel me only gets you ignored. I'm not everyone's cup of tea and I also have those who I could absolutely care less about. Take away what you will from all of this.
Ignore you?! You're my favourite part of this site!

Back