• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Age Limits - Reserves

16 is the youngest age now.

Yes if you were in pretty bad physical shape you could still join the reserves. Sometimes they won‘t let you and sometimes they will. Depends on who your with i guess.

For the most part there is a basic minimum you have to pass. 19 push ups uhh so many sit ups. Squeezing a certian amount of pounds per square inch in a grip tester thing. You have to pass a "shuttle run" where you run back and forth over 20 meters (i think) and have to cross a line each time before a beep sounds (the beeps get quicker and quicker) which is a little hard if your not good at running or pacing yourself OR you will do a step test where you walk up and down steps. (which is the dumbest test ever, a cat could pass it).

A friend of mine just failed the push up test, i think he did 17 out of 19 push ups and he has to wait 6 months to do the test over where as a girl on my basic training course was able to fire off one push up out of the required 9 and they looked the other way.
Try it and find out, worst thing you can do is fail and be told to come back in 6 months.

As an experiment i sat on my butt for 4 months not working out once and took the Provincial Police physical fitness test and passed with flying colours, your probably in better shape then you think you just have to have the will power not to quit.

Go here: http://www.recruiting.forces.ca/html/careers/getting_ready/fitn_guid.html

You could go in to BMQ out of shape, but would you want to? Going out of shape and trying to keep up to everyone else would eb misreble. You wouldn‘t be happy and would just be wishing to get out of there. You won‘t be concentrating on the things you need to learn.

There are minimum objectives you should beable to reach without much hardship listed on that page. Contact your CFRC for more info.

I took the step test, yea it is a pretty stupidweak test

Veteren‘s Son

if you realy wanna enlist, my advice is just to start a excersise program for yourself, to get into shape, an/or to see what physical state your in

Step test is by no means easy. I doubt very much that just anyone could do it. I know a lot of people who wouldn‘t beable to get past a coupke of minutes. The first 5 min was realitivley easy, but the next set you start to feel it. If you lose your concentration, you‘ll trip, which I did a couple of times.

wow. I found it easy. Both times that i did it!

I applied to RMC on year, didn‘t get accepted b/c of my physics, and had to redo it when i applied for the reserves. I found that that was the easiest!!

If someone cannot do the step test then i honestly think they should see a doctor because there is probably a real life serious health issue/concern.

Thank you for all of your replies!

If anyone has any information to add to the subject of joining the Reserves, it would be great.

I believe the actual age limits for joining are that you must be between 16 and 52 inclusive.

You must be 17 by the time you graduate from basic training.

The reason you cannot be older than 52, or so our Pl Warrant informed us, is that you must be able to contribute 3 years of service before being able to retire with a pension.

This must be for reg force, however, as I don‘t think our pension kicks in for res until after 10 years service, and it‘s really not a pension anyway, more of a release package.

Someone will, of course, correct me if I am wrong... :)

Are they really strict about the number of pushups and situps that you have to do before you are accepted in the Reserves?

Are they more strict about the pushups and situps in the Regular Force?

Does anyone know of an example where someone(over 35) could complete half the number of pushups and situps and still be accepted in the Reserves?

"Are they really strict about the number of pushups and situps that you have to do before you are accepted in the Reserves?"
-That would probably depend on the needs of the unit. Another variable could be how strict the individual administering the test is about proper execution of the exercise.
"Does anyone know of an example where someone(over 35) could complete half the number of pushups and situps and still be accepted in the Reserves? "
-The requirements for males 35 and older are 14 push-ups and 17 sit-ups. However a unit might be more leniant if their not doing to well on meeting their quotas but I personally wouldn‘t rely on that.

I know that someone is required to do a certain number of pushups and situps for what I believe is called the Fitness Test.

Are the results of the Fitness Test( pushups, situps etc) more important depending upon what Battalion, Squadron, etc that you are sent to/apply to in the Reserves?

When you apply to the Reserves, do they ask you whether you are applying to the Army, Navy or Air Reserves?

Do the results of your Fitness test determine which battalion/squadron/regiment you qualify for in the Army Reserve, for example?

I have some questions about Basic Training in the Reserves.

With the Regular Force, Basic Training is 10 weeks(I believe) and it is done in a continuous amount of time.

With the Reserves, how long would it take to complete Basic Training?

Does the training that a person does once a week and one or two weekends a month give you the training you need?

Or is Basic Training competed during the summer months for Reserves?

Also, how many months do Reserves train in the summer? :)

In reserves, when you fill all of your forms out they ask you what your top three choices are. Eg: Imfantry, Combat Engineer, Armour, Cook, etc.

Normally in reserves there is only one regiment to go into if you pick armour or infantry etc. (Well in Calagary anyway).

19 pushups and situps is THE MINIMUM for any and all trades. It doesn‘t matter if your going to sweep the floors or kill Osama, everyone has to go through basic and the minimum standards are there to make sure that people have some chance of passing.

To answer your questions more directly:

Are the results of the Fitness Test( pushups, situps etc) more important depending upon what Battalion, Squadron, etc that you are sent to/apply to in the Reserves?
No. Everyone must do the minimum. If yuour going infantry, they‘ll probably expect you can do 30 or more pushups. If your going to be a cook and never do PT after basic, 19 is good enough.

When you apply to the Reserves, do they ask you whether you are applying to the Army, Navy or Air Reserves?
Yes

Do the results of your Fitness test determine which battalion/squadron/regiment you qualify for in the Army Reserve, for example?
No.

Correct me if i‘m wrong on anything guys.

With the Regular Force, Basic Training is 10 weeks(I believe) and it is done in a continuous amount of time.
Basic which includes BMQ, SQ and your trade is 12 weeks or more depending on which trade, done continuously at St. Jean.

With the Reserves, how long would it take to complete Basic Training?

Does the training that a person does once a week and one or two weekends a month give you the training you need?

Or is Basic Training competed during the summer months for Reserves?
In reserves you take basic in three chunks. BMQ, SQ and your trade. Each course is roughly 4 weeks. This can be completed either on every weekend for probably about 10 weeks. 10 weeks * 2 days/weekend = 20 days of training which is what each three components are made up of. Or you can take the whole 4 week chunk during the summer. Courses are offered then and only then in chunks. I think you can take the weekend courses anytime.

Also, how many months do Reserves train in the summer?
As many as you want. If you can fit and the army allows you to take the entire basic in the summer, go for it. However, you must complete BMQ within one year of being sworn in I believe.

Please take this advice: You ahev asked so many questions that can be answered by a recruiter in 5 minutes by handing you a piece of paper and a little dialogue. You‘d be better off just going down to CFRC and asking for some information of joining the reserves in your area. It‘d save a lot of time. They don‘t bite, they are there to help you, not to draft you.

During my BMQ we had a class on "career progression".

The length of the MOC courses was briefly described to us.

R031 - Infantry - 23 days
R021 - Artillery - 55 days
R022 - Artillery (Defence) - 30 days
R041 - Field Engineer - 24 days

They told us some other trades which they didn‘t explain what they were, only gave us the MOC codes: R012 is 36 days. R013 they helpfully told us they had no idea how long the MOC training was.

On the age-limit question for the reserves: the last info I got (when I was AdmO at a Seaforth Highlanders cadet corps in Vancouver) was that the minimum age is 16, provided the applicant has parental permission AND turns 17 by July 1st of the summer they do their recruit course. As for the maximum age - there used to be a set maximum - but this was challenged in court a few years back as a Charter violation. When I did my QL2 in Vernon (many moons ago) we had two people on course who were in their 50‘s. One was 52 and the other was 53. Essentially, as long as you pass the physical and the PT test...you‘re in.

portcullisguy,
‘cause 013 is Armoured Recce and we never stop learning new stuff. :D

portcullisguy,
‘cause 013 is Armoured Recce and we never stop learning new stuff. :D

although on all the ads it says minmum 16 years old , the WO of the unit im in made me wait till I was 16 and a half. Not sure if its the same with all units, but I think its up to who ever is recruiting you.

I have a friend who is encouraging to sign up on my 16th birthday wich will be even before im finished gr. 10 is that allowed??? that way I would hope my info would be proccesed and I would be able to take basic traning over the summer. Is that to much to hope for or within reason???

Back