• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Assetts at Edmonton International Airport???

JBP

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I was recently at the Edmonton International Airport picking up the family cat and I took a drive down the runway (by the cargo area) and noticed the tails of 2 Hercules, not TOO surprising, then I noticed a few other interesting things... Namely a United States Military Chinook heavy lift chopper, a Canadian Forces Griffon chopper and a CF-18 Hornet! This past Sunday was the date I noticed all this equipment, then shortly after I arrived they fired up the Chinook and took off and flew roughly South-East as I could tell! Back toward USA?

Just wondering, is it standard that we have some aircraft at the airport in case of emergency etc? I would imagine we always have a few Hercs standing by in case, and maybe the Griffon also, but I was surprised to see a CF-18! And the Chinook... Anyone know what that's all about?

Just curious!

Edmonton has the largest refurb site in Canada for hercs thus no surprise. The chinook prob a return from the recent EX in WX and the Griffion the same thing, all in all not surprising at all
R711 OUT

Possibly also coming from EX Maple Flag in Cold Lake.

Edmonton is the normal Airhead for all troops (other than 1 CMBG) going to Wainwright.  It would be normal for Aircraft supporting them to refuel at the Edmonton airport.  The same could be said for such aircraft as Helios, that would not have the fuel capacity to make cross-Canada flights, to stop there to refuel before continuing on their next leg.  No doubt there is a Standing Contract for fuel at the Edmonton airport, so military aircraft of all types would stop there.

I know this is SLIGHTLY off topic....but it does have to do with keeping air assets at civilian airports, rather than on air bases.

What are your thoughts at keeping military aircraft pernamently stationed at airports??

While in Phoenix, AZ recently - I noticed a fleet of about 14 refueller aircraft stationed at the airport.  I asked the police officer wandering around if they were there all the time, and he said they were.  A good idea, to cut costs??  Or not??

Just curious....

*Sorry to hijack, but it was SOMEWHAT related!*

Heres why you have Tankers in Pheonix ......

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/usaf/161arw.htm

CBH99 said:
While in Phoenix, AZ recently - I noticed a fleet of about 14 refueller aircraft stationed at the airport.  I asked the police officer wandering around if they were there all the time, and he said they were.  A good idea, to cut costs??  Or not??
Alot of Air National Guard units have their permanent facilities at civilian airports and in this case, they are there all the time. Theres a military base on the airport.

Back