• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aircrew Selection/ACS (Merged)

gwones said:
Thanks again for taking your time to post great advice.

One thing I am really worried about is that: if I have taken the opportunity to write the test and receive an unsatisfactory result it would bring down my competitiveness, in terms of my application. If this was the case, wouldn't it be better not to write the exam in the first place rather than failing it?

I'm starting to think, why not just take the challenge and write it because the chances are 50/50 anyways? :p

Thanks again everyone, I'd appreciate any further advice.

Honestly, if you're reasonably intelligent, have good spatial awareness and have recently done grade 12 math I'd say your chances of passing the exam are much better than 50/50.

I'd do it.  :nod:

Like was mentioned, it will make your application look that much better.  I'm sure they would like to hire pilots who can do math ;)

But i know what you mean. I passed both, but really only want pilot.... Which makes me wonder if I should have put 3 choices down for my MOC when I signed up.

The test is tricky though, I found the most difficult part was the last section - No calculations involved, just need to be good with graphs.

I better destroy this test or I will look like a total schmuck haha.

I have a math major buddy who failed the math component of his CF pilot training.  Ouch.

gwones said:
One thing I am really worried about is that: if I have taken the opportunity to write the test and receive an unsatisfactory result it would bring down my competitiveness, in terms of my application. If this was the case, wouldn't it be better not to write the exam in the first place rather than failing it?

I'm starting to think, why not just take the challenge and write it because the chances are 50/50 anyways? :p

Dude. Chill.

If you are worrying at this level of detail, you may as well start shaking in your boots about the bus that might hit you tomorrow when you step off the curb.

Just be as competitive as you can be. Chances are, a little detail like this is not going to make or break you if you want to get in for pilot.

But if you do get picked up, try to calm the old nerves a bit. I watch guys fail rides here in Moose Jaw all the time because they analyze stuff like this to death, instead of just going out and doing what they know how to do.

Relax.

KingKikapu said:
I better destroy this test or I will look like a total schmuck haha.

I have a math major buddy who failed the math component of his CF pilot training.  Ouch.

I wrote it in Feb of 08... Honestly, it has nothing to do with how good you are at math. You could probably grab 10 kids out of a grade 4 class and at least 50% of them would pass it given an unlimited amount of time. It is not a test of mathematical ability.

EDIT: Just to be clear I'm talking about the Air Nav test that you do at ASC

Funny thing is my arithmetic is slow as molasses.  I got so used to working like a physicist (IE equations/derivations only.  Arithmetic isn't math.) that I haven't crunched numbers in years.  In any event, I'm not that worried.

I just remembered, the new Nav test is likely going to be available by the time you arrive.

Its all on the computer using a joystick.

The only thing I can contribute to this thread is this:

the DWAN ASC page states that students can take the ACSO tests if they so wish (going from memory here). Now from an overall perspective I do agree that writing it beefs up your application, but then, I'm neither a pilot nor ACSO...yet.

Take the test - it probably won't be voluntary when you are in Trenton.  If you fail it - oh well...  Your rating on the ACSO portion of aircrew won't really be on the forefront of the pilot selection board member's minds.

From what I recall (Jun 08), writing the Nav test was not an option, it was part of the selection course.

CAPSS isn't something you can really study for, anyways.

I was at CFASC in January, and the ACSO test was optional.  It took place in the afternoon after we received our CAPSS results.  A number of people who passed CAPSS did not write the ACSO exam.  Everyone who failed CAPSS wrote the exam, even those that weren't really interested in being an ACSO.

The computer based testing is the first thing you do upon arrival, and I was under the impression that it will not be used for any actual selection for at least a couple years.

To be completely honest, I don't think that doing well on the ACSO exam would have any impact at all on your competitiveness as a pilot applicant, although as an Air Ops applicant it may be different.  I was accepted for Air Ops prior to even completing aircrew, so who knows how the system works.

I passed CAPSS and wrote the ACSO exam for fun, and found it to be pretty easy.  I'd recommend that if you have any interest/potential interest in being an ACSO, write the test.  Who knows, you might fail your flying training and have to spend a few years doing something else before your obligatory service is over.  There's no need to really worry about it though, there's not much you can do to prepare; just like CAPSS, it's essentially an aptitude test, for the most part you either have the skills or you don't.

I'm going to echo what ScottS said. I just got back from ACS last night after the medicals in Toronto and we were all given the option of writing the ACSO exam. Like was said before, the computer based testing will not be implemented for another few years according to the staff at ACS.

A new development is that ACSO candidates are no longer required to go to Toronto for medical testing. Therefore, only those pilots candidates who pass CAPSS will continue to Toronto.

Hello readers, I will just continue in this post with another question arose to me.

I have recently received a phone call from DRDC Toronto asking me how I am planning to travel to Trenton. Before I hung up, the lady on the phone(cannot recall her name) told me something about a medical claim(?) that I have to pick up a week before the Aircrew Selection. I asked her what it meant but she talked very fast and I did not fully understand. Having said that, I decided to call DRDC Toronto what exactly it was about but nobody answered the phone, same as the Recruiting Centre.

I wish to ask you, was there anything(paperwork, anything to pick up) besides the blue book, that you had to pick up and visit the Recruiting Centre(in prior to the Aircrew Selection Course)? I am going to call them again soon but it is a little confusing.

Thanks in advance for your time to read this post!
Have a great day

Your CFRC will give you a travel claim. This is what you need in addition to the blue book.

How are you getting to Trenton ?

You are required to hand carry your medical documents to the CFASC.  You will have to pick these up (or have them sent to you) from the recruiting centre before you leave.

Thanks again for your comments guys.

I was scheduled to attend the ASC this week(23rd-27th) and I picked up my travel claim last Friday. When I came home I've read "CDN Aviator" and "ScottS" comments then I realized "Oh no! My med docs!".

So I called the RC about this and I was told that my med docs had not been arrived from Ottawa and I had to be removed from this week's course. They said it's strange because the docs were sent 2 weeks ago but still not received.

It's all good. Looking on the bright side, I have extra days to prepare for myself. Hopefully things will get sorted out very soon :)

Oh, so you were the lucky number 13. There were 13 names on the board day one, and then one was removed early into the testing.

We had 9/12 guys pass (which apparently isn't the norm), and I think only 2 wrote the ACSO exam of the 12.

Heff18 said:
Oh, so you were the lucky number 13. There were 13 names on the board day one, and then one was removed early into the testing.

We had 9/12 guys pass (which apparently isn't the norm), and I think only 2 wrote the ACSO exam of the 12.

What is the norm?

About 50% average I think based on what I've read from others who have gone through.

Edit:

They told our group that they don't need to pass anyone. Sometimes of a group of 10-13, no-one will pass.

Other cases, like this one, almost the whole group passed. Which is not too common.

Back