• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things beardy-2005 to 2018 (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. I wonder how much testing it received.

I've been wearing a beard for almost 30 years.  I've never had a problem getting a seal with either a standard gas mask or any other breathing apparatus.

The old adage is true: Ask (and ask and ask and ask) and you shall receive.

The Army is in the midst of a study to determine whether it can safely allow soldiers to wear beards, multiple officials have confirmed to Army Times.

Soldiers have been discussing the idea behind closed doors and in open forums for years, but the push to research the possibilities and make a decision really picked up earlier this year, according to the Army G-1 uniform policy sergeant major.

“It’s more driven from the religious accommodations group,” said Sgt. Maj. Anthony Moore, referring to a working group that made the recommendations that informed the Army’s authorization of beards for Sikh men in uniform.

“Soldiers would ask here and there, but it’s gained traction since the Army directive for religious accommodations,” he said in a Feb. 28 phone interview.

When the working group convened last year to talk beards and turbans, officials expanded the conversation to include hijabs and dreadlocks, Sergeant Major of the Army Dan Dailey told Army Times earlier this year. Those accommodations were all later authorized in a new directive.

“They said, okay, if we’re going to do religious accommodations, we have to be inclusive,” Dailey said in a January interview.

That discussion led to the idea of allowing beards in general.

“I’m not opposed to having a beard,” Dailey said. “I’ve socialized this with several people, including [Army Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Milley] — how do we do that to maintain standards? I think that we have to continue that study.”

Once the study is complete, the results will be discussed by Dailey’s senior enlisted counsel and briefed to the chief of staff of the Army.

If leadership decides to go forward, an update to AR 670-1 would eventually have to be signed off by the secretary of the Army.

“Authorizing the wear of beards in the Army, in addition to approved religious accommodations policy, is a topic that soldiers have inquired about recently across the force,” Dailey said March 2 in a follow-up statement. “As of now, there are no plans to change the policy. Army leaders and researchers are currently reviewing the wear of beards by soldiers in the Army. Any potential change in policy will be made with careful consideration to the professionalism, standards, discipline, readiness and safety of all of our soldiers.”

More at link.

https://www.armytimes.com/articles/the-army-could-let-soldiers-grow-beards-no-seriously?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EBB+03.06.2017&utm_term=Editorial+-+Early+Bird+Brief

I'm all for it.  This daily execution of young fresh facial hair is a travesty!  It's cut down in its prime before it has a chance to grow and flourish.

While we're at it, we should reintroduce the 'queue'. Traditional amongst elite fighters

Like Steve Sehgal  ;D

Sikhs wear beards in the Army.  Pioneers used to have amazing beards.  And many soldiers in Afghanistan grew beards so that they could get along better with the locals (esp the CIMIC men).  The current Cdn defence minister invented (or trialed) a gas mask to fit over a beard. 

Also goatees should be allowed at the very least.  A nicely trimmed goatee seem perfectly acceptable if you are allowing the fashion crime of the curly moustache to exist in uniform.

Underway said:
Sikhs wear beards in the Army.  Pioneers used to have amazing beards.  And many soldiers in Afghanistan grew beards so that they could get along better with the locals (esp the CIMIC men).  The current Cdn defence minister invented (or trialed) a gas mask to fit over a beard. 

Also goatees should be allowed at the very least.  A nicely trimmed goatee seem perfectly acceptable if you are allowing the fashion crime of the curly moustache to exist in uniform.

What length? What style?  How far out should the goatee be?  Can it be long or short beard?  Ask the fremale soldiers about collar length hair and they can tell you some stories about subjectivity. 

Ask female soldiers about DEU shoes... make combat boots look positively uniform.

AbdullahD said:
I think this is for the US Army not Canadian.

The shaving and ( female-male ) haircuts look ok to me. Just my personal opinion.

Attachments

• army blues.jpg
    army blues.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 1,009
Underway said:

Yeah sure lets also grown long hair because someone else did it. And beards....because its cool.

Sikhs have a religious reason to wear beards. Moustaches have been allowed for ever.

Because the US Army does it is a great reason that we should do it.

Looking at it from another angle, why does the CAF have a prohibition on beards?  Why is it forbidden - unless you're in the non-seagoing Navy, or a Pioneer, or any number of other exclusions?

"Because we've always done it that way" is a rationale for living in caves, afraid of fire.

dapaterson said:
Looking at it from another angle, why does the CAF have a prohibition on beards?  Why is it forbidden - unless you're in the non-seagoing Navy, or a Pioneer, or any number of other exclusions?

"Because we've always done it that way" is a rationale for living in caves, afraid of fire.

I may be incorrect but don't our current standards for hair stem from our experiences in the trenches of WW1 where abolutions were scarce ?  Because, I know it seems that previous to WW1 long hair and facial hair was common and accepted, from what pictures I have seen.

Halifax Tar said:
I may be incorrect but don't our current standards for hair stem from our experiences in the trenches of WW1 where abolitions were scarce ?  Because, I know it seems that previous to WW1 long hair and facial hair was common and accepted, from what pictures I have seen.

I suspect that is likely part of the reasoning (lice ran rampant through the trenches and the less hair one had the easier life was).  However, it is also worth noting that military "fashion" in both clothing and hairstyle largely followed civilian fashion for centuries (albeit often more elaborate or flashy and frequently somewhat behind).  For the most part though, we seemed to have stopped following civilian fashion sometime in the 1920s...

dapaterson said:

Perhaps the discussion should ( or does ) involve public aka taxpayer support for facial hair?

Taxpayers encourage our representatives to vote on a strong pay and benefit packages for our military and civil uniform services.
A considerable amount of energy and effort is spent to maintain a positive image in the community. What seems as positive to some, may not be seen that way by others.

See also,

Studying public perceptions of police grooming standards
Summary: The response of the police administrators to the challenges of the grooming standards by arguing that more liberal standards would erode public respect for the police is given. The results of the study show the public's opposition on the grooming standards and the reasons for that opposition.
https://myessays100.wordpress.com/2016/04/16/us-police-grooming-standards/

This is US police. But, may, or may not, have some relevance to the US Army.

Facial hair in the military
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facial_hair_in_the_military#United_States

dapaterson said:

I think as a taxpayer and civilian now, military personnel should present a good image in uniform. Beards will be opening a can of worms: some will push the envelope when it comes to length etc.
On the military side I have CBRN concerns.

Maybe we can get them to hire some Combat Engineers or Pioneers as consultants on the issue.

216e7ca6273c80a3432a882089c7c437.jpg

Hamish Seggie said:
... Beards will be opening a can of worms: some will push the envelope when it comes to length etc. ...
If hair length can be controlled, beard length can be controlled.
Hamish Seggie said:
On the military side I have CBRN concerns.
This has me wondering more than the potential "look," which can be policed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back