• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AOR Replacement & the Joint Support Ship (Merged Threads)

Getting closer

I am surprised that they were even certified without them?
Honestly, with what we're seeing come as 'certified', I take a lot of that with a big grain of salt. Maybe that setup made more sense when it was first designed as a cargo ship, but bit puzzled at why it wouldn't be added when it became a bulk fuel carrier.

Asterix is a pretty good go for young sailors. In floor heating, own heads and shower, laundry service, great WiFi, civi cooks, excellent gym. Then they go a CPF and see the actual RCN and subsequently quit. We have lost quite a few sailors that way.

Shipyard image from Seaspan. They like to show their tradesfolk doing the job.

Shaftline addition is really getting close. Loving this whole thing.
I think a few of those guys were pulled over from VDC. VDC does a lot of shaft pulling and alignments and have a lot of expertise in that area.

Asterix is a pretty good go for young sailors. In floor heating, own heads and shower, laundry service, great WiFi, civi cooks, excellent gym. Then they go a CPF and see the actual RCN and subsequently quit. We have lost quite a few sailors that way.
So give them crap first, then reward them later?

So give them crap first, then reward them later?
Just pointing out the unintended consequences of Asterix to the overall personnel shortfalls we are experiencing. We are still running a Navy here. That being said the JSS will be a good go as well but not to the extent as Asterix.

"After years of delay, the Liberal government awarded Seaspan's Vancouver Shipyards Co. Ltd. a build contract in June 2020 for two ships — HMCS Protecteur and HMCS Preserver — at an anticipated cost of $2.44 billion.

Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC) chose to announce in a media statement on Friday — the eve of the August long weekend — a major amendment to the contract which drives up the price tag to $3.3 billion.

And that figure does not include the design cost, in-service support and other expenses related to the program. When those numbers are added, the total bill for taxpayers for owning and operating the ships is now expected to exceed $5.2 billion."

Do I hear 6B?

"After years of delay, the Liberal government awarded Seaspan's Vancouver Shipyards Co. Ltd. a build contract in June 2020 for two ships — HMCS Protecteur and HMCS Preserver — at an anticipated cost of $2.44 billion.

Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC) chose to announce in a media statement on Friday — the eve of the August long weekend — a major amendment to the contract which drives up the price tag to $3.3 billion.

And that figure does not include the design cost, in-service support and other expenses related to the program. When those numbers are added, the total bill for taxpayers for owning and operating the ships is now expected to exceed $5.2 billion."

Do I hear 6B?
Almost as if the CPC National Shipbuilding Strategy was a boondoggle from day one, with value for money non existent.

Do I hear 6B?
3.3 billion fir 2 ships.... in 2012 the British bought 4 oilers for 244 million each made in south Korea. Why are we not placing fines on Seaspan for going over time and budget?

3.3 billion fir 2 ships.... in 2012 the British bought 4 oilers for 244 million each made in south Korea. Why are we not placing fines on Seaspan for going over time and budget?
probably because we kept asking for changes and then forced them to close most of their production for two years and even at that we didn't finalize the plans for years after the proposed date. In answer to your question, other than that I can't think of any reason

"This increased contract value was calculated by considering a number of factors, such as lessons learned from developing a new type of warship for the [Royal Canadian Navy], COVID-19 impacts that resulted in labour and supply chain disruptions, economic price adjustments, foreign exchange rate fluctuations, and changes in labour rates,"

To the tune of effectively a billion dollars? This late into the construction of the class?

How much is that actually for the cost of the ships and not docks, lifetime supply of toilet paper and fuel?
The 6 BN total they are quoting for the in service and design costs is pretty low; typically in service is multiple times the build cost. If each ship gets 8 dockings over 40 years, plus inflation, that alone will be a few billion dollars. They will probably spend another $100M per year on crew, fuel, maintenance etc, especially after the first few op cycles.

Back