• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AOR Replacement & the Joint Support Ship (Merged Threads)

As I said before, start hiring Filipino's. Set up a assessment and training base there, using contractors. Perhaps along with another nation, run them through a selection program sort of like the Gurkhas. They arrive here and start on the Kingston's for final verification. 10 year service buys you guaranteed citizenship.
That's great until one of them dies, or does something stupid.

The Gurkhas are a direct result of British imperial colonialism in India. I'm not sure any political leader would throw away their career by creating any program similar to that.

Rather than try to import cheap foreign labour, maybe we could try to fix the issues keeping Canadians away?

That's great until one of them dies, or does something stupid.

The Gurkhas are a direct result of British imperial colonialism in India. I'm not sure any political leader would throw away their career by creating any program similar to that.

Rather than try to import cheap foreign labour, maybe we could try to fix the issues keeping Canadians away?
Why, Canadians die and do stupid things as well? As long as you do your best to treat them like human beings, there will be little real issues. It's not like a significant amount of the worlds fleets don't already use them. In fact I think you find that you have far more applicants than slots.

As for "fixing the issues" , Well good luck with that , there is about 5 other westerns navies that would love to know what the solution is.

Why, Canadians die and do stupid things as well? As long as you do your best to treat them like human beings, there will be little real issues. It's not like a significant amount of the worlds fleets don't already use them. In fact I think you find that you have far more applicants than slots.

As for "fixing the issues" , Well good luck with that , there is about 5 other westerns navies that would love to know what the solution is.
Commercial fleets... This may be a bit of a surprise, but expectations WRT to both conduct, and security clearances are slightly different between a Panamanian flagged cargo ship, and a Canadian warship.

It would matter if they died, because the immediate question would be "Why is a rich country like Canada using cheap foreign mercenaries to do their work?". It would matter because the first sexual misconduct/assault or plain old assault would result in headlines like "CAF imports predators without proper screening".

Of those five other Western navies, how many are looking at importing cheap foreign labour to fix their issues, vs. actually trying to determine why their own citizens don't want to serve?

There are lots of ideas the CAF could likely use from industry, exploiting workers from developing nations isn't one of them.

How is it exploiting them? If you pay a decent wage, treat them properly. As for bad press, it's not like the CAF is any stranger to it, for much worse than what you are concerned with.

This entire discussion is OBE. Permanent residents can apply to the CAF. Our issue is getting the security clearances. It's not a volume thing.

We have well over enough people who apply, only 15% get hired.

This year not a single BMQ has been cancelled due to lack of positions being filled. Bookings for BMQ are filled until mid Jan.

Back to big ships being built at Seaspan.

Back