• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

applying for Support Officer positions this fall (DEO)

darwin

Inactive
Reaction score
Good Evening,

I am applying this fall. I have spoken to a recruiter and he discussed 2 specific trades that I am eligible for.
1. Intelligence Officer
2. MPO

research on here has shown me that most of the cats on here dislike DEOs, so be impartial in answering.

The MPO position is the one I will probabally get, my issue is that the contract is nine years... thats intense... here are my questions.

Is it easy to transfer if I do not like the trade? (ROTP)
to what extent can i influence the decision as to where I must be?

Int or MPO? why or why not?... Do I get a deployment to observe and learn?

thanks again

From what I was told by the recruiter, The line for INT officer is years long .. so if thats what you really want, I assume you will be waiting a few years for it.  Thats what I was going to do, but alas Student Loans require me to get a job sooner then that

darwin said:
so be impartian in answering.

I have no idea what that is........ ???

my issue is that the contract is nine years... thats intense...

Take it or leave...pretty simple.

Is it easy to transfer if I do not like the trade? (ROTP)

Changing trades is not simple nor is it guaranteed. If you are joining as a DEO....ROTP does not apply to you.

to what extent can i influence the decision as to where I must be?

The military decides where you will go. You will be asked what you would like but that is it. There is no guaratee you will get your choice of location and the military is under no obligation to send you where you want to go.

It's not that cats on here don't like DEOs, it's more that cats on here don't like DEOs who automatically think that because they have a degree, they're instant officer material. A lot of people log on to these boards and ask ridiculously trivial questions, use poor spelling and grammar, and demonstrate just a fundamental lack of understanding about anything that the job entails. Authority isn't a right, it's very much a privilege. Respect isn't a given, it's earned. Ergo, it's quite understandable that many would be weary, and even initially hostile about the calibre of the officer hopefuls from gauging their conduct or intelligence from these boards.

That said, to answer your questions.

1. Is it easy to transfer? Don't count on it. It's possible, but nothing is sure in life.

2. Can you influence your posting? You can request where to go, but again, don't count on it. If your wants and the needs of the service match up? Great! If not, you'll have to reconcile yourself with that fact.

Int or MPO? Hard to answer, it's really a personal decision.

If your issue is a 9 year contract in which you might not like your chosen MOC? I wouldn't really continue then. Nine years is a long time in a job you wouldn't like, and unfair when you might take the spot from someone who would absolutely shine in it. Again, if that's up your alley and you can deal with it? By all means go for it.

Nine years will seem like a flash in the pan.  Besides, its not like you want to be out of work in the next decade, right?  Also postings for officers are fairly frequent (except hard sea occupations), so you can expect to move every 3 or 4 years or so.  If you don't like the idea of moving wherever you're told, consider the reserves.  The catch there is you have to compete for the position you want and there's no guarantee you'll always have full time work.

when I am in the CF for a couple years and decide I would like a different trade, it is not considered ROTP?

take it or leave it is not that simple... it is 9 years, I enjoy thinking of it as an amazing job, not a sentence.

In no way do I feel I am "officer material", I am a university graduate and worked as an admin assistant... but I did work my ass off for 4 years to have an education in an area.

What trades did you guys start in? are /were you happy with it?

darwin said:
when I am in the CF for a couple years and decide I would like a different trade, it is not considered ROTP?

One of the plans for changing occupations is the Officer Voluntary Occupation Transfer Program (OVOTP).  ROTP is the Regular Officer Training Program, which is for civilian or reserve applicants who do not have a degree.

darwin said:
take it or leave it is not that simple... it is 9 years, I enjoy thinking of it as an amazing job, not a sentence.

The CF invests a significant ammount of money training you and thus expects a return on its investment. 9 years is not a sentence. I have been in for almost 18..........

but I did work my *** off for 4 years to have an education in an area.

So ?

What trades did you guys start in? are /were you happy with it?

I am not an officer thus i doubt my background would be useful to you. If you would like to hear it anyways, i will be happy to answer you.

I am more than interested in hearing about trades that are not officers.

I actually wanted to discuss non commissioned trades with the recruiter but he was really trying to steer me to the officer trades

darwin said:
I am more than interested in hearing about trades that are not officers.

I started out as a combat engineer ( was called "field engineer" back then) 17+ years ago. Great trade, dont regret the 11 years i spent doing it. One day, i decided i wanted to go back to my lifelong love of aviation and made the jump to my current trade.

but he was really trying to steer me to the officer trades

They usualy do but in the end, officer or NCM, the choice remains yours.

darwin said:
Good Evening,

I am applying this fall. I have spoken to a recruiter and he discussed 2 specific trades that I am eligible for.
1. Intelligence Officer
2. MPO

Hi,

Can someone enlighten me here?
My understanding was that Intelligence Officers as well as NCM wanting to work in Intelligence trades were never recruited directly from the civil but only from within the CF.

Alea

the recruiter told me the int off was recruited from civilian also. It is INT OPS (operator) that does not permit civilian entry...

but this is what the recruiter told me

Alea said:
Hi,

Can someone enlighten me here?
My understanding was that Intelligence Officers as well as NCM wanting to work in Intelligence trades were never recruited directly from the civil but only from within the CF.

Alea

Intelligence Officers are recruited through out service programs regularly.  Intelligence Operators aren't normally, unless they already have military qualifications.

agc said:
Intelligence Officers are recruited through out service programs regularly.  Intelligence Operators aren't normally, unless they already have military qualifications.

Thank you agc... we learn everyday :)

Alea

Back