• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

HMCS Max Bernays departed CFB Esquimalt on June 18, 2024 on their way to participate in RIMPAC 2024. She will support a Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) mission with two special embarked medical teams for an advanced resuscitation and surgical capability. She also recently undertook air operations with a CH-148 Cyclone, being the first in her class outside of trials to do so. A lot of important firsts for the first West Coast AOPS.

I was aboard the RUS ships that visited Halifax in '93 (I think it was '93?) and they had all of their missile hatches painted shut.
At Battle of the Atlantic 50th in Liverpool 1993 I was in a group of Uk, German, Russian and me, plus a translator… and there may have been drinks involved. We were saying how scared we were during the Cold War of them because their missiles are so big. He said they were more scared of us because ours worked.

He hoped that out of the eight 4 might make it out of the launcher and we would get 3, so the one that got through had to do the job.

Meanwhile our man in Havana......

You have to admit, sending an AOP's to tail them is a major diss. "Your not worth sending a CFP". On the plus side excellent training for the AOP;s crew and a port where their dollar goes far.

hmcs-margaret-brooke.jpeg
Have to say, with that paint job, our ship fits right in with the day to day visual of what Havana looks like today.

HMCS Max Bernays departed CFB Esquimalt on June 18, 2024 on their way to participate in RIMPAC 2024. She will support a Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) mission with two special embarked medical teams for an advanced resuscitation and surgical capability. She also recently undertook air operations with a CH-148 Cyclone, being the first in her class outside of trials to do so. A lot of important firsts for the first West Coast AOPS.

That's a bit of an optimistic take; they are 'unlocking' day SWOAD only, with a tonne of caveats.

Are you talking about the paint job?
Yes, the ship-side grey that is used doesn't mask in any way the visual sight of rust on a ship. It gives off the visual impression that the ship is not well maintained. The 'warm tone' of the ship-side grey contrasts mightily with the orangish-brown colour of the rust.

Yes, I'm aware that ships sailing in a harsh salt water environment will quickly rust. I would have thought that some consideration would have been given to attempt to paint over the rust prior to entering the port of Havana would have been given. If simply to further contrast the differences between the Russian warships and our own. A 'spick and span' clean ship entering old, dirty, colorless, almost joyless Havana would have been a bit of a publicity coup.

Yes, the ship-side grey that is used doesn't mask in any way the visual sight of rust on a ship. It gives off the visual impression that the ship is not well maintained. The 'warm tone' of the ship-side grey contrasts mightily with the orangish-brown colour of the rust.

Yes, I'm aware that ships sailing in a harsh salt water environment will quickly rust. I would have thought that some consideration would have been given to attempt to paint over the rust prior to entering the port of Havana would have been given. If simply to further contrast the differences between the Russian warships and our own. A 'spick and span' clean ship entering old, dirty, colorless, almost joyless Havana would have been a bit of a publicity coup.
So this is the reality of coatings these days that most navies face that you as a civilian are not privy too. The ship is painted with a two part epoxy coating every 5 year docking or major refit. This coating while environmentally friendly really in my experience doesn't last all that long as the old ship side grey.

In Halifax and Esquimalt we are burdened with significant precautions in prepping and painting the ship and we are only supposed to do touchups not wholesale painting and being at sea for a few weeks well you guessed it rust will start to show.

Pretty much everywhere else has banned painting in Harbour or in their waters. We also have MARPOL special areas that we have to take even more restrictive precautions due to their environmentally sensitive nature and the the Caribbean is one big one. Even scrubbing the ships side is forbidden. I suspect Russia and China are not under the same restrictions that Canada and many navies are.

HMCS Margaret Brooke is on a 9 week deployment and has been all throughout the Caribbean on OP CARIBBE during this time. It doesn't matter what color of paint is used, rust streaks show up evidently on effectively any reasonable composition. You can see that the Russian frigate likely stopped somewhere to paint however, their support ship definitely did not. Canada and basically all of its NATO allies follow strict environmental regulations regarding painting vessels at sea/in harbors to the point where it is generally not undertaken very often. Once you add that modern paint compositions used are more friendly to the environment but not as effectively as older types, that is part of the reason you see more rust. People in Canada were far too busy squabbling over stupid politics over the whole visit than if our ship had some rust.

448460061_17967019187753039_6996776428643773092_n.jpg

448356025_470054702194966_2704214345459845697_n.jpg

As to "impressing" anybody especially the Cuban's, their Navy consists of two converted fishing trawlers, a single crappy midget submarine, a group of various left over Soviet minesweepers and some literal pontoon 'boats' with individual torpedo tubes on them. A ship that largely floats showing up in their port operated by another Navy is enough of an event.

So this is the reality of coatings these days that most navies face that you as a civilian are not privy too. The ship is painted with a two part epoxy coating every 5 year docking or major refit. This coating while environmentally friendly really in my experience doesn't last all that long as the old ship side grey.

In Halifax and Esquimalt we are burdened with significant precautions in prepping and painting the ship and we are only supposed to do touchups not wholesale painting and being at sea for a few weeks well you guessed it rust will start to show.

Pretty much everywhere else has banned painting in Harbour or in their waters. We also have MARPOL special areas that we have to take even more restrictive precautions due to their environmentally sensitive nature and the the Caribbean is one big one. Even scrubbing the ships side is forbidden. I suspect Russia and China are not under the same restrictions that Canada and many navies are.
Much appreciated the information and the passing on of this knowledge!

Don’t know, but if they are supposed to exactly replicate an AEGIS/SPY 7 combo….yes?
Japan ditched AEGIS Ashore, I wonder what the real reason was?

Can't too much of a reason as they will be using it at sea.

There is no hidden meaning, it is described within the article you quoted. Japan was forced to repurpose the SPY-7's previously for the AEGIS Ashore program into the Aegis System Equipped Vessel (ASEV) program due to NIMBYism on the home islands regarding falling rocket boosters + local areas becoming military targets due to the system.

I will take any progress on this front
Me too, just undersells the significant amount of engineering changes required so that comms, lighting, fire fighting etc actually meets the requirements and also the incredibly tenous number of helo crash FF we have qualified. Literally a twisted ankle away from losing the capability.

Even getting this was a big push though, but when you accept a ship from the builder with thousands of defects sets the tone for delivery of the rest of the fleet. We are our own worst enemy, and ISI delivers shit because we accept it.

Me too, just undersells the significant amount of engineering changes required so that comms, lighting, fire fighting etc actually meets the requirements and also the incredibly tenous number of helo crash FF we have qualified. Literally a twisted ankle away from losing the capability.

Even getting this was a big push though, but when you accept a ship from the builder with thousands of defects sets the tone for delivery of the rest of the fleet. We are our own worst enemy, and ISI delivers shit because we accept it.
We are a twisted ankle away from losing a lot of capabilities in the CAF... I'm sitting in MAX right now because I was the last available weather guy for the SWOAD.

It was fun to be there for a first, but I'm a CPO 2 doing a PO 2 job.

Back