• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

Eye In The Sky said:
If they have no weapons, limited avionics and sensors (no RADAR, SONAR, etc) then the 1 tech would, in theory, have far less to support/maintain.  1 pilot for them, there's what...8? aircrew on a MH Det?

Two crews of 4, yes.

Don't  forget, somebody has to sit thru the 4-6 hrs of "mandatory" briefings each ship seems to conduct each day for routine ship evolutions....that takes bodies...

SeaKingTacco said:
Two crews of 4, yes.

Don't  forget, somebody has to sit thru the 4-6 hrs of "mandatory" briefings each ship seems to conduct each day for routine ship evolutions....that takes bodies...

We must all genuflect to the god of Power Point and that briefing beast must be fed with the souls of subbies daily.

The CCG helicopters appear to have navigation radar and have more powerful engines (PT6T-9 TwinPac) than the Griffon, so I expect they be able to lift more.

SeaKingTacco said:

FSTO said:
We must all genuflect to the god of Power Point and that briefing beast must be fed with the souls of subbies daily.

Too bad for the tediousness, SKT or your mortal soul, FSTO.

This is the Navy: We don't take a crap without a briefing.  ;D

(and the Army thinks O-Groups can get overdone. ... Pfft! Amateurs!)

Each AOPS will have a weather forecaster onboard to support flight ops as well. I wonder if the CCG air crews are accustomed to that level of support at sea.

My favourite part of briefing in the navy is the WUPS shuffle, where the same 20 people move about the ship to various spaces to brief the same information off the same slides every 30 minutes. Then being told not to skip over the slides, because I need to practice briefing the weather... And no the sea survival time off the west coast hasn't changed in the last 2000 years...

SeaKingTacco said:
Two crews of 4, yes.

With the Cyclone, will there be a few more techs to support the sensor/AVS "stuff" and to perform ESS functions when embarked? 

More info to confirm LRP is side of the fence with the greener grass... :nod:

WeatherdoG said:
Each AOPS will have a weather forecaster onboard to support flight ops as well. I wonder if the CCG air crews are accustomed to that level of support at sea.

Their method quite effective.

They look out the window, if it's not nice out, they usually don't fly.

Interesting article in the NP today about China and the Arctic.....
http://nationalpost.com/news/world/china-is-building-a-massive-telecom-cable-in-arctic-balancing-that-with-climate-change-is-now-in-its-hands

Will make our life potentially interesting....

Maybe they will buy some AOPS from Irving to patrol the line. According to the journalist who must never be mentioned, Irving is looking to “shake (down) a few trees” to make the cost competitive to foreign buyers. This will help them, apparently, to fill the production gap using a “hot run” of ongoing production.

Czech_pivo said:
Interesting article in the NP today about China and the Arctic.....
http://nationalpost.com/news/world/china-is-building-a-massive-telecom-cable-in-arctic-balancing-that-with-climate-change-is-now-in-its-hands

Will make our life potentially interesting....

North East Passage.  The article has nothing to do with us.

Here's a link to an article talking about the starting of the 3rd AOPS -

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/irving-shipbuilding-and-the-government-of-canada-celebrate-start-of-construction-of-the-third-arctic-and-offshore-patrol-ship-665225273.html

Another news source is saying that there is a chance that more than the original 6 could be built in order to close the gap between the last of the 6 being built and the CSC starting up.  Have to wonder if they build 7 of these how many of the Kingston class they will decommission. It would be nice if they kept all 12 of the Kingston operating, had 7 of these is use and then the 15 CSC's.

Czech_pivo said:

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/irving-shipbuilding-and-the-government-of-canada-celebrate-start-of-construction-of-the-third-arctic-and-offshore-patrol-ship-665225273.html

Another news source is saying that there is a chance that more than the original 6 could be built in order to close the gap between the last of the 6 being built and the CSC starting up.  Have to wonder if they build 7 of these how many of the Kingston class they will decommission. It would be nice if they kept all 12 of the Kingston operating, had 7 of these is use and then the 15 CSC's.

HA! 15 CSCs?

lol

Lumber said:
HA! 15 CSCs?

lol

I'd like to think/hope that the US and/or NATO would say to us quite loudly, openly and plainly, that anything less than 15 CSC is failure to meet our global and national obligations.

Czech_pivo said:

The only way six will be built if there is money left over to do so, I doubt the government will authorize the funds to build a 7th. The Kingston Class are about half done for their major refits and right now there is no plans to decommission any hulls. In fact we are currently conducting trials to significantly pair down the crew size.

Chief Stoker said:
The only way six will be built if there is money left over to do so, I doubt the government will authorize the funds to build a 7th. The Kingston Class are about half done for their major refits and right now there is no plans to decommission any hulls. In fact we are currently conducting trials to significantly pair down the crew size.

I'm glad to hear that news about the Kingston's, keeping all 12 running, in addition to the 6 new AOPS. Are they keeping the 40mm's on them or upgrading to something newer after the refits?

Build one and give it to Latvia/Estonia/Lithuania (pick one) as foreign aid, for NATO use in the Baltic.....

I've tried to Google some info on the Kingston class modernization, couldn't find anything...just articles about the Halifax class modernization, and related.

Not looking for tons of detail, but what are we doing in terms of modernization for the Kingston class?  These have proven to be good little ships.  Hopefully their eventual replacement will give them a higher speed capability, but they seem to be a great ship for all those missions where you don't need the heavy muscle a frigate brings.

Lumber said:
HA! 15 CSCs?

lol
'oh yeah of little faith Lumber!

I believe it will happen.  The entire point of the NSS is to build continuously.  Might take 22 years but 15 will be built.  Or 12 built and then then start a new class.  For the first time in Canadian history the military industrial complex might work in our favour.  You can see the knock on effects of shipbuilding money in Halifax already.  It's the start of a new corporate welfare giant to rival Bombardier being built here.

Czech_pivo said:
I'm glad to hear that news about the Kingston's, keeping all 12 running, in addition to the 6 new AOPS. Are they keeping the 40mm's on them or upgrading to something newer after the refits?

The 40mm have been divested some years ago.

CBH99 said:
I've tried to Google some info on the Kingston class modernization, couldn't find anything...just articles about the Halifax class modernization, and related.

Not looking for tons of detail, but what are we doing in terms of modernization for the Kingston class?  These have proven to be good little ships.  Hopefully their eventual replacement will give them a higher speed capability, but they seem to be a great ship for all those missions where you don't need the heavy muscle a frigate brings.

The radars have been replaced some years ago, with the OPS room being modernized, new gyro's and the the addition of servers for comms. New degausing gear have been added, and recently all the alternators were pulled and refurbished along with structural work around involving the funnels. Its not a midlife refit per se, however much of the ship has been modernized.

Back