• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Are Armed Forces demonstration teams relevent?

Snowbird Aircraft Replacement Proposal Aero's L159 Albatross
found at: http://www.sfu.ca/casr/mp-snowbird.htm

Ok, Time for me to get blasted. During my time in the military, the only time we go to the range is once a year to shoot enough ammo to qualify pwt2. yet here are bands (base rank of Sgt), and demo teams flying around the country promoting a military, that it seems few people want to join,spending a boat load of cash. I would love to see troops get more range time, or even get to fire the weapons we practice TOET's on every year during IBTS training. If s**tcanning demo teams and bands etc. does that then i am all for it. Unfortunately if they did do away with them, the money would probably go towards buying all the pointy heads in ottawa ergonomic chaise lounges to allow them to think better.

FatwogCpl,

With comments like this, you are not seeing the forest for the trees. 

Gunner

FatwogCpl said:
Ok, Time for me to get blasted. During my time in the military, the only time we go to the range is once a year to shoot enough ammo to qualify pwt2. yet here are bands (base rank of Sgt), and demo teams flying around the country promoting a military, that it seems few people want to join,spending a boat load of cash. I would love to see troops get more range time, or even get to fire the weapons we practice TOET's on every year during IBTS training. If s**tcanning demo teams and bands etc. does that then i am all for it. Unfortunately if they did do away with them, the money would probably go towards buying all the pointy heads in ottawa ergonomic chaise lounges to allow them to think better.

Personaly it gives me a "warm and fuzzy" that my pilot   is a former snowbird.   I know he is at the top of his game and that he can handle whatever our aircraft throws at him.  Guess there is TRAINING value in the snowbirds after all.  Its not just about you and your bullets.

Ok, Time for me to get blasted.

With comments like that probably repeatedly.

Should we disband the JTF2 so that you and the rest of the reserve svc bn you belonged to can have an extra day on the range?

Ah, here we go.
yes, me and the 456 wrenchbending coy would love that extra day on the range.  As far as mounted troop goes, are the horses ridden by civvie volunteers, or are they souldiers payed by the govt?

Sorry Slim, Couldn't resist that. On a serious note, Strat's Mounted troop IMHO go about the demo team thing the right way!!

aesop, it would give me a warm and fuzzy to see globemasters on the runway in trenton!

milnewstbay,

We don't own the Hawks, nor do we have technicians trained to fix them, Bombardier owns and maintains them under the NFTC contract. While I agree that getting Hawks for the Snowbirds is probably the best option, it certainly won't be cheap since we don't have any of our own in the system and getting them for the Snowbirds would be the equivalent of adding an entirely new airframe to the inventory.

FatwogCpl said:
aesop, it would give me a warm and fuzzy to see globemasters on the runway in trenton!

Ah yes....i see what your argument is.

If we disband the snowbirds and save up the money...we could buy 1 C-17 in 20 years !!

WOW, you realy know how to think things trough.  Spending money on C-17s wont give you another day on the range either.  Give your head a shake.

Ah, sorry. forgot i was dealing with the Airforce that sees batteries as DC. If the snowbirds give you a better pilot, then all is good, but tell me, as a snow bird do you practice air to air combat or delivering CAS?

Ah, sorry. forgot i was dealing with the Airforce that sees batteries as DC. If the snowbirds give you a better pilot, then all is good, but tell me, as a snow bird do you practice air to air combat or delivering CAS?

And Jesus continued to weep....

FatwogCpl said:

You don't know much about flying do you?

They don't practice BFM, ACM, or CAS, but they don't need to. The flying they do is precise and the experience they gain while with the team will carry over to their next posting. Good hands and feet are never a bad thing in the cockpit.

FatwogCpl said:

You just can't think past your own nose can you ?

Inch is right.

Inch, I know nothing about flying! And hey, like i said if it makes them a better pilot then thats cool. Do most pilots stay in to pass these skills on or go fly for a civie company....seriously!

aesop, ok you win inch is right! but your still a typical airforce pointyhead.
Inch, respect! thanks, your good to go! You are a typical rotory wing pilot!

FatwogCpl said:
Inch, I know nothing about flying! And hey, like i said if it makes them a better pilot then thats cool. Do most pilots stay in to pass these skills on or go fly for a civie company....seriously!

Depends on the guy, some stay and some go. I don't have any exact numbers but there's a Snowbird pilot that's coming back to Sea Kings when he finishes his 3 year stint this fall, so some do stick around.

FatwogCpl said:
still a typical airforce pointyhead.

considering i've only been in the airforce   about 2 years and that i was reg force combat engineer for 11 years, your comment doesnt mean much.

Ok, your just a typical pointy head then. After two years in the Airforce you know how much the budget of the Snowbirds is and how much a C17 costs. Impressive! Look, the forum was about weather or not demo teams are relevent, in a lot of ways i don't think they are. It's not just about my bullets, it's about money and resources being directed in a more beneficial way, for everyone. And i am not suggesting disbanding the most operational unit the CF has to accomplish that, nor am i talking about just the Snowbirds. Bands, the Skyhawks, etc.

Where or how would you guys use the extra cash?

Hey, i thought this was a forum for discussion, i brought up a side you guys obviously did not want to hear. So I will drag my NCM butt out of here and keep letting you guys pat each other on the back and continue on with your "because we've always done it that way" attitudes.

Back