• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Are you happy with your military career? Rant Warning!

navypuke

Inactive
Reaction score
I've been in the navy for 10 years now. Right out of high school. Thought I would see the world and shit like that. But my career has been pretty mundane as fate would hand me.

I have a pretty important job on the ship, possibly one of the most important for an NCM to have. I am a Fire Control Technician. This job incorporates fixing the FC radars that guide our guns and missiles onto target. You could even say that in a combat situation where there are enemy missiles and aircraft flying at us my radars are the most important thing cause they keep the ship alive and all my crewmates alive.

The timely maintenance and care of my equipment is our first line defence against harm. There are maybe two dozen of us in the whole navy, both coasts, so a frigate or destroyer will only ever have one maybe two FC techs aboard.
Yet this kind of responsibility has not ever given me satisfaction in my career.

I have volunteered for four Gulf trips and just recently volunteered for TFA and had a position then Canada lost it too the Brits. I have never sailed beyond North America, nor have I ever been over seas. I feel like I'm missing out on so much and whenever I try to make it happen something just shuts me out.

Some people would say I had a charmed career cause I got promoted fast and I never have to be too far away from home from my family for any longer than 6 weeks. Those are the guys who usually try anything to get out of going to sea and I hate them for it. I don't want to be them, I want to deploy or do something meaningful with my career and I don't know if that will happen.

I'm just ranting and I know I'll get shit chucked at me from guys who have a million tours or whatever, because I know alot of guys have to deploy alot, I guess thats just the hand fate dealt them eh. Me and a good friend of mine had a plan to volunteer for TFA together, he got his tasking message and just as I was about to get mine it got shit canned, so thats had me in the dumps, and I'm trying to find new positions but the navy is pretty restricted for ROTO 9 because of the fucking Olympics.

So basically to end my rant, my unit is "possibily maybe kinda" slated to deploy in 2010/2011 to Afirica for the pirate crap, but I think I might get promoted before that happens. If I get made, then I will be removed from the unit and miss out on a 6th opportunity to deploy. I was thinking of turning my promotion down if it happens cause I know I'll just get posted back ashore and ride a desk pushing paper. What do you guys think?

navypuke:

I was not in the Navy - and cannot speak to its various requirements for skilled people.  I was an Army guy.

There are two things I'd like to say to you:

1.  I have a friend who refused his promotion (in 1997) from the same rank you hold (if your profile is correct) - and to this day he holds that same rank, and is as happy as can be - he's very good at what he does, has as much responsibility as he wants, and doesn't bring paperwork home every day because there's too much to be done during the work day.  He's a good guy - good for him, and Godspeed.

2.  There's a "thang", in the Army anyway - and I can't imagine that it's that different in the Navy - known as the "ten year itch".  At the ten year mark a lot of us question what we're doing, where we've been, where we're going, what our prospects are, are we happy with life - just about everything you expressed in your post.  It's normal.

If you were one of my guys (and I know you aren't - I'm just a voice on the internet), I'd suggest that you wait six months - see what you think then.  In the meantime - just keep putting one foot in front of the other - or whatever you Navy Pukes say.  ;)

Bottom line - your frustration is not unusual - you've already given it ten years - what's a few more months?

Best of luck to you.

Roy

A few points:

- you're not a Fire Control Tech, you're a NET(T), FC subtrade.  There are more of you than two dozen.
- you're suffering from a little swelledheaditis.  STIR techs (and I use that as a colloquial term) are important, but no more important than the NESOPs who operate the FC radar, the NWTs who load and maintain the missiles and gun, the Mar El who supplies 440 VAC to power the whole lot, or the cook who feeds them all.  You're part of a team.
- have you seen a picture of the new CMS?  He has a CMM, a SSM (probably NATO), and two clasps to the CD.  Not getting on a lot of fancy overseas deployments hasn't seem to hurt his career.
- if refusing your promotion will get you the deployment you want, then only you can decide if it's worth it or not.
- there are umpteen avenues you have if you're looking for a bigger challenge - UTPNCM, VOT, etc., etc.

The expression "You are your own best career manager" comes to mind.

Occam said:
The expression "You are your own best career manager" comes to mind.

I would have to agree here. If you're unhappy and want tours, there are plenty of trades who will have you deployed more times than you can shake a stick at. Take a look at any trade that receives a recruitment allowance... those are red trades where they are short people. You may have to change element, but you'll get what you want and maybe be a little more satisfied with your career in the CF.

Isnt there a policy out WRT refusing a promotion to avoid a posting ?

Am i happy with my career ?

Yes i am.

CDN Aviator said:
Isnt there a policy out WRT refusing a promotion to avoid a posting ?

Yes, there is.  I never thought of it, as one usually thinks of people refusing postings to avoid leaving a particular geographical area, but refusing a posting in order to stay aboard ship (or to avoid going to one) would incur the same penalty - your posting date becomes your release date.

Why not sign up for CSOR.Do that for 3 years then go back to your life in the navy.I'm sure you would enjoy not being away from home for more than 6 weeks.
And you'll maybe get the wanting to deploy out of your system.

X-mo-1979 said:
Why not sign up for CSOR.Do that for 3 years then go back to your life in the navy.I'm sure you would enjoy not being away from home for more than 6 weeks.
And you'll maybe get the wanting to deploy out of your system.

Have you read navypukes post? His whole point is he wants to deploy, he wants to go on an extended deployment, he feels like he is not accomplishing his career goals and wants to something about it...you are mocking him by implying he would not enjoy going to the CSOR, since neither you nor I know him thats a big assumption on your part.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Have you read navypukes post? His whole point is he wants to deploy, he wants to go on an extended deployment, he feels like he is not accomplishing his career goals and wants to something about it...you are mocking him by implying he would not enjoy going to the CSOR, since neither you nor I know him thats a big assumption on your part.

Where are you getting that?
He's wanting to deploy etc...well join CSOR.It doesnt involve a Occupational transfer,and when he completes three years he can go back to his job where it seems he does not deploy...OR after his three years stay with CSOR and deploy more than he does in his current post.

No where did I imply he would not enjoy it.I gave him my thoughts on overcoming his issue he cannot solve.

It's an option isnt it?

No one likes extended time away from family.I believe he needs a good long deployment to realize Joni Mitchell was right.

LOL I don't know about that...I know a tech type and a bosun that try and get on every deployment the Navy is involved in and the bosun only missed one and that was because of his PLQ. But to each their own

I don't know about you guys but I'd be a lot happier if I was making Captain IPC 10...

I haven't tried the CSOR route, but I have volunteered for HUMINT operator on several occasions and my unit will not release me to go do the course in Borden or Kingston wherever it is. Maybe I'll try again.

In all my TI, I had always thought I'd go out on a high, as I had nothing but pure fun, even deployed I never laughed so much. As for highs on leaving, there was none. I got a plaque and that's about it. The army that used to be, does not exist anymore, and I viewed myself as just another number, and the GAF factor about myself from some others was obvious. I had seen them do the same to others and I was no different. Life rolls on. Our hierarchy at my last Unit was pathetic, and I often wondered how some of them managed combing their own hair, yet alone manage a Squadron.

At the end of the day, I owed them nothing, and so I left. I had enough of moving, and I want to stay where I am. I have many issues post deployment, with an injury received in Baghdad, and I now chase that thru the DVA, that and other issues too.

Thru the 'old boys' net, I found a great job, now in my civvy job, I still work within a military environment in an infantry battalion of the regular army as an armourer. Men under my command a year ago now supervise me, and I love it as I must have made a good impression on those Diggers. This time no politics, no duties, no BS, decent hours and with excellent pay.

After an 8 month absence in uniform, I have returned in part-time mode, and we'll see how this goes.  So far so good. About 8 months to go for my ADFLSM, then I reckon I'll pack it in for good.

Regards,

OWDU

Overwatch Downunder said:
After an 8 month absence in uniform, I have returned in part-time mode, and we'll see how this goes.  So far so good. About 8 months to go for my ADFLSM, then I reckon I'll pack it in for good.

Regards,

OWDU

Always a pleasure to hear from the Land Down Under.

I know what ADF is, whats the LSM stand for ?.

Cheers.

Back