• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Argentina Reasserts Claims To Falklands (again)

Argentina only has 22 fighter aircraft and they are a mix of Mirage III's (1950's design) and IAI Dagger's which is much more capable aircraft. That being said, 1-5.5 is not a very good force ratio but it wouldn't take much to bring this ratio firmly in the favour of the RAF.

They also have  around 35 A4s and around the same number of Pucaras that they use in the ground attack role that may be able to take out the RAF facilities in the FI.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Sadly though the 4 Typhoons they usually have there won't be enough to take on the the entire Fuerza Aérea Argentina without timely reinforcement

If wikipedia is to be trusted ::)  They only have 1 maybe 2 landing ships.  You wouldn't need to take out their entire navy, at least not right away.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Sadly though the 4 Typhoons they usually have there won't be enough to take on the the entire Fuerza Aérea Argentina without timely reinforcement
True, if it's just the Typhoons alone, but I'm guessing there's more than a few ground-based AA systems about to make life at least squeamish for any Argentine pilots on that mission.

Indeed. I'm sure they have not forgotten having a Puca shot down with a Stinger, the first Stinger kill in combat BTW, last time around.

Ex-Dragoon said:
They also have  around 35 A4s and around the same number of Pucaras that they use in the ground attack role that may be able to take out the RAF facilities in the FI.

The FI are not defended in the same way they were prior to the 1982 invasion. They Argies know it and can't do much more that rattle sabres. Their AF is a shadow of what it was in 1982 and so is their Navy.

An interesting, broader approach proposed here:
.... The best way to avoid war is to prepare for one and Mr. Cameron should let both Buenos Aires and Washington know that we are. Dispatching HMS Dauntless to the region should be viewed as just the start of things.

If Argentina ever made another attempt at invading the Falklands, stopping it from happening a third time must be one of our key objectives. Given that dislodging them from the Islands in 1982 was not enough to deter them, Britain should expand the war to the Argentine mainland; striking both military and government targets. The point of such an escalation would be to convey to the Argentines that with each invasion attempt they make, our response will be more and more severe.

We should be prepared not only to expand any war with Argentina to the mainland but also to leak that we are prepared to do so. The leak should be that some British military planners are looking at potential targets for us to strike in the event of a conflict. In the subsequent media furore, someone known to have the ear of the Prime Minister should give an interview defending the Ministry of Defence for considering such actions. The implication would be that Mr. Cameron is also seriously considering it.

The interviewee should also use the opportunity to state what would be our main argument in a war with Argentina: that the Falkland Islands are British; that the people are British; and that taking them by force in order to exploit their mineral wealth is just naked colonialism on Buenos Aires’s part ....
Thinking Strategically blog, 2 Feb 12

Would there ever be the political will to do this in a minority environment?  Cameron certainly ain't Maggie....

Prince William arrives Falkland Islands tomorrow
Penguin News (Port Stanley)
01 Feb 2012
http://www.penguin-news.com/index.php?option=com_flexicontent&view=items&cid=30:politics&id=243:william-arrives-tomorrow-&Itemid=20

ACCORDING to the British press Prince William will arrive in the Falkland Islands tomorrow to begin his tour at Mount Pleasant Airport.

While Islanders will be delighted at the Prince's presence in the Islands, a move they see as strong symbolic support of their right to self-determination, Argentina has issued an official statement criticising Prince William's planned tour of duty - wearing what Argentina angrily termed "the uniform of the conqueror."

The statement, from Argentine foreign ministry, under the letterhead: "Argentina, a country with good people" was the strongest reaction yet to William's six-week deployment as an RAF search-and-rescue helicopter pilot in the south Atlantic.

"Prince William will arrive on the Malvinas Islands as a member of his country's armed forces. The Argentine people regret that the royal heir will arrive on national soil in the uniform of the conqueror and not with the wisdom of the statesman who works in the service of peace and dialogue among nations," it said.

It has been made clear that Prince William will not be undertaking any ceremonial duties during his time in the Islands.

One Islander told the Penguin News: "We hold the Royal family in great affection but we don't tend to make a big fuss so he (the Prince) will be able to go about his work and time off without lots of attention - I expect he'll quite enjoy that."

Prince Charles visited the Falklands in 1999, when he mingled freely with Islanders at a public reception in Stanley's Town Hall.  William's Uncle Prince Edward also visited in 2007 on the 25th anniversary of the Falklands War. Prince Andrew has also visited the Islands once to serve during the Falklands War and later on a ceremonial visit. Both the Duke of Edinburgh and the Princess Royal have also  enjoyed visits to the Falkland Islands.

Prince William arrives in Falklands amid Argentina tensions
By Alice Ritchie (AFP)
02 Feb 2012

LONDON — Prince William arrived in the Falkland Islands on Thursday for a six-week mission with the Royal Air Force (RAF), British officials said, a move Argentina has condemned as a "provocation".

The 29-year-old, who is second in line to the British throne, has been sent to the disputed South Atlantic archipelago as a routine part of his work as an RAF search and rescue pilot, the Ministry of Defence said.

But the timing of the deployment has stoked tensions ahead of the 30th anniversary of the start of the war between Britain and Argentina over the Falklands, which London controls but Buenos Aires claims as its own.

"The Ministry of Defence can confirm Flight Lieutenant Wales, as part of a four-man search and rescue (SAR) crew, has arrived in the Falkland Islands on a routine operational deployment and will shortly take up SAR duties post a period of briefings and a familiarisation flight," a ministry spokesman said.

When William's deployment was announced in November, Argentina said it was a "provocative act", and this week the foreign ministry in Buenos Aires said the prince would be arriving in a "conqueror's uniform".

Tensions have not been helped by the announcement this week that Britain is sending HMS Dauntless, a state-of-the-art warship, to the region, although defence officials insisted the move was a purely routine deployment.

Argentina's vice president said on Thursday that Britain was sabre-rattling in the Falklands in order to distract its public from high unemployment.

The moves "have to do with British domestic politics, with the high unemployment," Amado Boudou told La Red radio. "This is an attempt to cover for a government that has a low level of accomplishment."

The windswept Falklands, home to about 3,000 inhabitants, have been held by Britain since 1833.

On April 2, 1982, the then-ruling junta in Argentina invaded the Falklands, which it calls Las Malvinas, sparking a 74-day war with Britain which cost the lives of 649 Argentine and 255 British troops.

London retained control and has vowed to defend the islands as long as the inhabitants want to be part of Britain.

The Ministry of Defence said William "will be deploying purely in an RAF role and will not be completing any ceremonial roles as the Duke of Cambridge".

"A six-week deployment to the Falklands is conventional for SAR pilots at this stage of their career," it said.

William qualified as an RAF search and rescue pilot in September 2010 and began working from a base in north Wales, making regular helicopter forays to rescue sailors in distress and walkers stranded up mountains.

His wife Catherine, whom he married in a lavish ceremony last year which was broadcast around the world, will complete her first solo public engagements during her husband's absence.

Catherine, 30, will visit an exhibition of portraits by late British artist Lucian Freud at the National Gallery in London on February 8, before touring a children's hospital in Liverpool on February 14.

The couple's recently acquired pet cocker spaniel will keep her company for the rest of William's deployment at the house they share near the RAF base on Anglesey, north Wales.

William's service in the RAF follows time spent with the British army and navy in preparation for when he is king and head of the armed forces.

His younger brother Harry served with the British army in Afghanistan for 10 weeks in 2007-08 under a media blackout, although it is unlikely the palace would allow the older prince to be put in such danger.

milnews.ca said:
Would there ever be the political will to do this in a minority environment?  Cameron certainly ain't Maggie....

Would be a good use for HMS Astute and her Tomahawk missiles.

Could also send down some Tornado GR4 from RAF Marham down to the Mount Pleasant base. They can fire Storm Shadow missiles into the Argentine mainland.

Excellent points, CA. The UK military, even with the ongoing, deep, painful cuts, is a much superior force to the one which recaptured the Falklands 30 years ago. And the forces in being, in the Falklands, right now, are, relatively, stronger than in 1982 and far more easily reinforced. I don't know how much better the Argentine military has gotten ... but I'm prepared to state that it doesn't have anywhere near the depth of operational experience the Brits do and I suspect its leadership, C3 and logistics are fairly weak. Thirty years ago the Argentines achieved strategic and tactical surprise ... not going to happen in 2012.

Out of curiosity the fact the the UK is in the European Union and the several EU Members have Carriers(Italy, Spain and France), wouldn't they get involved? I know that the EU is in serious financial trouble at the moment, but does it not cover mutual assistance in defence?

GD said:
Out of curiosity the fact the the UK is in the European Union and the several EU Members have Carriers(Italy, Spain and France), wouldn't they get involved? I know that the EU is in serious financial trouble at the moment, but does it not cover mutual assistance in defence?

I think the Argies would have to fire the first shot, thereby strengthening any British defensive position. I don't think the French public has the appetite for adventure. The Spaniards may have trouble waging war on fellow Spanish speakers. The Italians may participate if only to divert the public's attention away from issues at home.

GD said:
the several EU Members have Carriers

So what ?

In 1982, aircraft carriers were vital to British efforts to re-take the islands as neither the RN or the RAF had fighter aircraft based anywhere near. In 2012, the RAF permanently bases a Typhoon detachment at a purpose built base, RAF Mount Pleasant, right on East Falkland.

Shut it, Jackson…. well said Aldridge

At the weekend, former Army chief General Sir Michael Jackson warned it would be ‘impossible’ to reclaim the Falklands if it was invaded today.

Brigadier Bill Aldridge, commander of British forces in the South Atlantic, responded by saying: ‘I am not expecting to hand the islands over to anybody and therefore put us in a position to have to retake the islands.’

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/local/east-hampshire/hms_dauntless_to_set_sail_for_the_falklands_as_tensions_build_with_argentina_1_3469933

Can someone please explain to me how Argentina is going to manage all this "seizing" anyhow.When they have nearly zero capability to do this in the first place?  I really hate to ruin  a really fun  thread by injecting reality into but . But I'm  feeling rather evil today ..... >:D

GK .Dundas said:
Can someone please explain

Argentina's best, and only, weapon is political. Continue rattling sabres and interfere with Island life. I'm sure the whole thing is a show aimed at Argentines themselves, just like it was in 82.

ModlrMike said:
I think the Argies would have to fire the first shot, thereby strengthening any British defensive position. I don't think the French public has the appetite for adventure. The Spaniards may have trouble waging war on fellow Spanish speakers. The Italians may participate if only to divert the public's attention away from issues at home.

Would it not be a nail in the coffin of the EU if one of the economical powers of the Union were attacked and the EU did little to assist? Should the Argentinians attack and take over the islands it would be destructive to the EU to not get involved in the efforts to retake those islands.

GD said:
Would it not be a nail in the coffin of the EU if one of the economical powers of the Union were attacked and the EU did little to assist?

No.

The Falklands are a British problem.

NavalMoose said:
The Falklands are a British Overseas Territory,

Yes I know. Thank you captain obvious.

What happens to them and handling Argentina is an entirely British problem, not the EU's.

Better ?

Back