• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army Reserve Restructuring

PS I agree with your first part. I just have no faith in Canada's politicians or bureaucrats to deliver.

PS I agree with your first part. I just have no faith in Canada's politicians or bureaucrats to deliver.
Bureaucrats scuttled Jason Kenny's attempt to buy the orphan mistral from France in 2015. Yes man power, I get it. The fact the RCzn said okay, and it was unelected Bureaucrats that killed it because it would "undermine the NSPS" was a hot load of garbage.

Bureaucrats scuttled Jason Kenny's attempt to buy the orphan mistral from France in 2015. Yes man power, I get it. The fact the RCzn said okay, and it was unelected Bureaucrats that killed it because it would "undermine the NSPS" was a hot load of garbage.
That's the Russian ones?

I must admit I have questions about the utility of an amphibious assault ship for us - more useful for the French and their former colonial ventures.

🍻

What exactly would a Mistral have given Canada as a capability? What would it have cost to operate and sustain? What would the opportunity cost gave been? Was it affordable within funding allocated by the Government? Would it have broken the contracts in place for the NSPS? Did Kenny have cabinet support to fix any of those potential issues?

That's the Russian ones?

I must admit I have questions about the utility of an amphibious assault ship for us - more useful for the French and their former colonial ventures.

🍻
Yes, the French actively asked us if we wanted it, and were willing to fit the bill to switch over any necessary systems. As for the utility of it, from what I've read it wouldn't break the NSPS because no Canadian yard can build vessels that big. It could be used for humanitarian and other operations. In the case of the Latvia efp it could be useful there too.

Yes, the French actively asked us if we wanted it, and were willing to fit the bill to switch over any necessary systems. As for the utility of it, from what I've read it wouldn't break the NSPS because no Canadian yard can build vessels that big. It could be used for humanitarian and other operations. In the case of the Latvia efp it could be useful there too.
Seems like the sort of thing that might not make sense for Canada in its primary purpose, but that would be handy to keep ticking over with a minimal passage crew. Might be akin to using an M113 as a cube van, but something military with those carriage capabilities seems handy.

Also might have some utility in an increasingly ice-free Arctic to support specifically military and generally federal activities without involving commercial carriers.

Seems like the sort of thing that might not make sense for Canada in its primary purpose, but that would be handy to keep ticking over with a minimal passage crew. Might be akin to using an M113 as a cube van, but something military with those carriage capabilities seems handy.

Also might have some utility in an increasingly ice-free Arctic to support specifically military and generally federal activities without involving commercial carriers.
For example you could of plopped it off the coast of Africa when we were in Mali. Yes cost and manning are an issue, but would a big ship like thst actually help attract people to the RCN and RCAF? A big modern vessel.

Actually that would be very good. Haiti for example as an off-island base.

Latvia too - its a seven day transit from Halifax to Riga.

Lost opportunity/capability.

🍻

For example you could of plopped it off the coast of Africa when we were in Mali. Yes cost and manning are an issue, but would a big ship like thst actually help attract people to the RCN and RCAF? A big modern vessel.

Except Mali is landlocked. Perhaps arrangements could have been made with the countries between Mali and the Atlantic Ocean to overfly their territories. However, factor in distance - the capital of Mali is approx 750 km from the ocean, but the CF mission wasn't in the capital, it was a further 950 km inland at Gao.

Except Mali is landlocked. Perhaps arrangements could have been made with the countries between Mali and the Atlantic Ocean to overfly their territories. However, factor in distance - the capital of Mali is approx 750 km from the ocean, but the CF mission wasn't in the capital, it was a further 950 km inland at Gao.
My math was off but the point remains

I tend to think a Nation with many islands, and interests in islands further south, should be able to put people ashore with minimal infrastructure.

There's a thousand of them just off Kingston. :D

1703441201206.png

Funny when you consider that all of Canada's original wars were amphibious affairs.

1703441545802.png

I tend to think a Nation with many islands, and interests in islands further south, should be able to put people ashore with minimal infrastructure.

If you think so, there's probably a place for you in 39 CBG ;)

Patricias for the West, RCR's for Ontario, Vandoos pour Quebec, and find an old Maritime Regiment for the East Coasties.........Regs and Res battalions for each. Can still use former Regimental names for the sub - units as has been done in the UK. For future expansion of the army if we ever have time to expand it again .......... all this CO and RSM stuff is a waste of money, which can be spent far better on training and/or kit.
and to boot - DCO's for what in reality is a Coy, multiple CSM's for effective strength platoons and all the way down. more money for better usages.
Heinlein had it right.
Service equals citizenship
always liked earning voting rights through service to country

What exactly would a Mistral have given Canada as a capability? What would it have cost to operate and sustain? What would the opportunity cost gave been? Was it affordable within funding allocated by the Government? Would it have broken the contracts in place for the NSPS? Did Kenny have cabinet support to fix any of those potential issues?
Ice Strengthened, base crew was similar to the 280's which were busy self divesting at the time. It would have given us the abilty to move troops to the arctic for the first time. Would make a good task force Command ship for operations off the coast of Africa, and could host air groups from other nations. Provide all the non-US NATO members a way to transport equipment to operations. Also would force the 3 services to actually learn how to work together for a change.

Ice Strengthened, base crew was similar to the 280's which were busy self divesting at the time. It would have given us the abilty to move troops to the arctic for the first time. Would make a good task force Command ship for operations off the coast of Africa, and could host air groups from other nations. Provide all the non-US NATO members a way to transport equipment to operations. Also would force the 3 services to actually learn how to work together for a change.
To me that part in bold would have been worth its weight in gold.

Back