• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Barack Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize

observor 69

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
New York Times

October 10, 2009
Barack Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize
By WALTER GIBBS and ALAN COWELL
OSLO — In a stunning surprise, the Nobel Committee announced Friday that it had awarded its annual peace prize to President Obama “for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples” less than nine months after he took office.

“He has created a new international climate,” the committee said in its announcement. With American forces deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan, President Obama’s name had not figured in speculation about the winner until minutes before the prize was announced here.

Likely candidates had been seen here as including human rights activists in China and Afghanistan and political figures in Africa.

But the committee said it wanted to enhance Mr. Obama’s diplomatic efforts so far rather than reward him for events in the future.

Thorbjorn Jagland, the chairman of the Norwegian Nobel Committee and a former prime minister of Norway, told reporters that Mr. Obama had already contributed enough to world diplomacy and understanding to deserve the prize.

Asked whether the prize was given too early in Mr. Obama’s presidency, he said: “We are not awarding the prize for what may happen in the future but for what he has done in the previous year. We would hope this will enhance what he is trying to do.”

The prize was announced as the Obama administration wrestles with global crises from the Middle East to Iran to southwest Asia while American military forces are still deployed in large numbers in Iraq and the White House is considering whether to increase troop levels in Afghanistan.

Mr. Obama has appealed for reductions in nuclear arsenals and is seeking to restart peace talks between Israelis and Palestinians.

But he also confronts challenges from Iran amid fears that Tehran is seeking a nuclear weapon — charges Iran denies.

Mr. Jagland said the conflict in Afghanistan “concerns us all. We do hope an improvement in the international climate could help resolve that.” Mr. Jagland had been asked by a reporter whether Mr. Obama’s selection for the award was intended to influence the American debate on troops levels in Afghanistan.

More at LINK

Congrataulations Mr.President

WTF?  With all due respect to the President, the Nobel Committee loses a bit of cred in my eyes with this nomination - why not let the guy get more of a record of, oh, I don't know, GET SOME CONCRETE WORLD PEACE RESULTS before awarding him something?

More from the Associated Press, Reuters (Brit wire service), Agence France-Presse, and DPA (German wire service)

I thought the thread title was a joke.... and then I saw the news articles. Kinda spits on Lester B's Peace Prize.

Shows either that the Nobel committee are a bunch of lefties or they have quite the sense of humor.

The only thing I can say to the Nobel Committee is  ::) 
I put a band-aid on one of my kids yesterday, doesn't that qualify me for a Nobel Prize in Medicine?

While I respect the office of POTUS, this is proof that all talk no action works. Nobel Prizes/UN: same, same.

He is now going to be more insufferable. How much did it cost the taxpayer for the POTUS et al, to take a vanity trip to Copenhagen, where the Europeans now see through him?

CNN has a headline of "President Obama to react to winning Nobel Peace Prize. Watch live at 10:30 a.m. ET." How artificial can you get, he has already reacted to it when he first heard it.

DBA said:
CNN has a headline of "President Obama to react to winning Nobel Peace Prize. Watch live at 10:30 a.m. ET." How artificial can you get, he has already reacted to it when he first heard it.

Now really, I wouldn't call that "artificial", I'd call that a "stupid headline". Obviously the man has to respond to the news.

Am I the only one to read the headline and think:

Sideshow Bob: Attempted murder? Now honestly, what is that? Do they give a Nobel Prize for attempted chemistry?

Apparently, IAW the timeline, "someone" had to have nominated President Obama one week afer becoming President. It would be interesting to know WHO nominated President Obama. Joe who?

I agree that this is rather premature. He's made some decent steps, and some nice speeches, but hasn't, that I've seen, actually you know, resolved or prevented any armed conflicts. I will admit that I liked Barack the candidate much more than Barack the President. I mean, you would think that a president whose party controls both the House and the Senate would at least be able to get a little thing like health care passed. Not to mention his non-action on the repeal of the Don't Ask Don't Tell policy.

Then again, the Peace Prize has at times been a joke. I mean, they even gave one to Yasser Arafat

http://althouse.blogspot.com/2009/10/riddle-why-didnt-barack-obama-win-nobel.html

Riddle: Why didn't Barack Obama win the Nobel Prize for Literature?

Answer: He wrote 2 books.

An example of all hail Rome.
WTF has this guy done?Besides win an election to be in control of a superpower?

At the link, I like this comment:

my15minutes said...

There also has to be some significance to the fact that Obama wins the prize on the day that the US bombs the freaking moon.

My respect and admiration goes to people who discover Insulin, and that sort of thing.

Obama winning the Nobel peace prize ranks up their with Gores Oscar for "Best Documentary". ::)

Just another political prize that has lost any credibiltiy.

Should this be merged with the "stupidest thing you heard today" thread?

Kat Stevens said:
Should this be merged with the "stupidest thing you heard today" thread?

I second this motion!

Back