• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cabinet Shuffle- (Wednesday 26 July).

Retired AF Guy

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Unidentified sources have told the CBC that several Liberal cabinet ministers have announced they are not seeking re-election or are being moved to different portfolios. One of those ministers who is being re-assigned is apparently Defence Minister Anand.

Anand moving out of defence to new portfolio, 7 ministers leaving cabinet in upcoming shuffle: sources

Prime Minister Trudeau is set to shake up his cabinet this week

David Cochrane, Catharine Tunney · CBC News · Posted: Jul 25, 2023 9:25 AM EDT | Last Updated: 1 hour ago

Trudeau's cabinet getting a major shakeup, sources say
Seven federal ministers are leaving cabinet and Defence Minister Anita Anand is moving portfolios in Wednesday's expected shuffle, CBC's David Cochrane reports.

Defence Minister Anita Anand will be moving to an economic portfolio in Wednesday's shuffle, CBC News has learned — one of many major shakeups coming to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's cabinet.

Sources with knowledge of the shuffle (who are not authorized to speak publicly about it) said seven ministers will be leaving cabinet, including Justice Minister David Lametti, Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino and President of the Treasury Board Mona Fortier.

Ahead of the shuffle, four other ministers — three Toronto-area cabinet ministers and one B.C. minister — announced that they are not running in the next federal election, opening up spots at the table.

Public Services and Procurement Minister Helena Jaczek said Tuesday morning she will not be running in the next election. The Ontario MP for Markham-Stouffville posted on social media that it "has been an immense honour and a privilege to represent our community at both the provincial and federal levels."

Transportation Minister Omar Alghabra announced that after 11 years in federal politics, he will not be running again and will step aside from his cabinet duties.

"The prime minister deserves a cabinet who is committed to running in the next federal campaign," he said. "This was not an easy decision."

Speaking to reporters Monday, Mental Health and Addictions Minister Carolyn Bennett also announced she will not be seeking re-election in her Toronto–St. Paul's riding.

Fisheries Minister Joyce Murray, who represents Vancouver Quadra, made a similar announcement Tuesday — despite having told reporters on June 21 that she planned to run again.

"After much thought and reflection, I have decided not to run again in the next election after my current term," she said in a media statement Tuesday.

"My work in politics and time serving my community both federally and provincially as an elected official has been the honour of my life."

Senior government sources say a cohort of rookies will be sworn in as new cabinet ministers during a ceremony at Rideau Hall on Wednesday.

Sources said Trudeau's goal is to put the focus back on the government's economic priorities — including housing — and shore up the cabinet ahead of the next election campaign.

The government also wants to put key communicators on important files, the sources said.

Mendicino under fire​

Mendicino's departure follows months of controversy over his performance. He's been under intense pressure over the transfer of serial killer Paul Bernardo to a medium-security prison. The minister also has come under fire over his management of the government's gun control legislation and the foreign interference file.

Asked last week in Kingston, Ont., whether he had confidence in Mendicino, Trudeau did not answer directly.
"I have an amazing team in Ottawa and an amazing group of MPs right across the country who are committed to serving their country every single day, and anyone in my cabinet by definition has my confidence," he said.
Sources have said Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland will keep her position.

According to Radio-Canada, CBC's French-language arm, Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly and Environment and Climate Change Minister Steven Guilbeault are also staying put.

Link

If true, it will be interesting to see who the new Defence Minister is?

Unidentified sources have told the CBC that several Liberal cabinet ministers have announced they are not seeking re-election or are being moved to different portfolios. One of those ministers who is being re-assigned is apparently Defence Minister Anand.

Link

If true, it will be interesting to see who the new Defence Minister is?
rumours say Bill Blair:sick:

rumours say Bill Blair:sick:

Sad Baby GIF

Too bad Blair has already been photographed in front of a TAPV... that can't be good for the brand ;)

“The women and men of the Canadian Army Reserves come from all walks of life. They have served Canadians honourably, whether it be here in Canada, by helping support Canadians affected by recent flooding or in their service overseas in operations such as Afghanistan. The steps we are taking today demonstrate the Reserves’ critical role in keeping Canadians safe.”

– Minister of Border Security and Organized Crime Reduction, Bill Blair

Back