• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Battalion Selection???

• Thread starter Thread starter wannabe-infantry-guy
  • Start date Start date
W

wannabe-infantry-guy

I‘m leaving for Basic on september 13th, and I already know im going to be apart of the Princess Patricia‘s Canadian Light Infantry unit. My question is, when will I know what Battalion I will be apart of? I would really like to be in one of the Battalions in edmonton.....do I get to choose which one, or does the army choose for me? :confused:

my basic starts sept 20th and I got ppcli as well and same as youI would like to be in edmonton... thats where im from and i would like to stay there if possable...

how exactly do you know that your getting into the Princess Patrisia‘s Light Infantry if you havent passed basic, not that im saying you won‘t (and good luck with that) which brings me to a newer question: can you fail Basic?

how exactly do you know that your getting into the Princess Patrisia‘s Light Infantry if you havent passed basic
They promise you a position in a certain regiment the day you receive "the call". Obviously, this is dependant upon your successful completion of all your training. Which is likely why they don‘t tell you specifically what battallion you will be a part of, until after.

But lets just say I pass Basic, and my infantry training...what I want to know is when it comes time for me to be posted to a Battalion, do I get a choice or does the army choose for me? Reason being, I was "excepted" to the Princess Patricia‘s Canadian Light Infantry, and there are two battalions in Edmonton and the other in Winnipeg. I would strongly prefer one in Edmonton because I would be living closer to home.

Everything I‘ve heard and read indicates that you will likely not have such a choice. Someone that has already experienced this may be able to give you a more informed and accurate opinion. But everything I‘ve heard seems to point towards having no choice. Similiar to how you used to be able to choose which Regiment you joined (usually), but currently that‘s not really an option.

ok I just talked to my recruter again today and he thinks that most of the us from edmonton will be going to third battalion! thats good news for me but things can cange.... I guess we wont know till the time comes..

I‘ve been under the impression that when you receive an offer, its for a certain unit. It‘s already been predetermined where you will end up if you make it through. Even though they don‘t tell you where it will be.

You definately won‘t be going to Winnipeg. Shilo perhaps.

one day at a time son. Put your head down and drive it hard. The Battalion will come to you when you are ready.
Want some advice? Blend in like wallpaper. If you come to graduation and the Warrant says who the f$%# are you? , you have done well.

what about someone with a bit more reasoning than to want to stay close to home? I want into 3 rcr because I‘m parachutist qual and want to join the para coy. Does that have any meaning when being tasked to a battalion?

Usually not they‘ll put you where you are needed most. They SOMETIMES make exceptions for family reasons but thats not the norm. Having a para course is a small comfort to them(although it shows you can at least do seven chinups), as they have many guys employed with the light BNs with their jump courses but not in jump positions.

So will they allow you to carry your cadet jump course over should you get into the infantry death from above? I have my doubts..

Actually you do get to keep your jump course when you join the reserves/Reg force. You do the same drill, pass the same tests and are taught by the same instructors as CF members are. I know a few people in the Regs with their jump course from cadets.

yep.. its the same course. there is some other course offered in cadets as well but i dont know much about it. I do know that the course I did was the same. I did the same pushups.. sweat the same, ran the same and have the same wings and certificate.

I think you‘re referring to the sport parachutist course offered to cadets on exchange in France.

MikeM and some of the other seniors in the Army Cadet forum probably know more about it. I‘m not sure if they make it to free-fall status on that course or if they even do some mixture of AFF or PFF-style training.

It‘s definitely not a para course!

Jason you are wrong. Cadets DO go on the CF jump course. IT is transferable upon entry into the CF. They go to Pet like CF members do, they go through the same three week course that CF members do, They jump out of the same planes as CF members using THE SAME drills as CF members hence they get the SAME COURSE QUALIFICATION as CF members do. Do some research and you‘ll realize your wrong.

Back