• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boot gash

Gryphon

Inactive
Reaction score
I got a deep gash on the top of my DEU boots... how do i go about getting it to disappear? i've tried applying layer after layer onto the gash itself, but it doesn't seem to want to go away..

Help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

There really isn't much to my knowledge to do to fix something like that, as its the leather that is cut.  Best bet from my opinion is to exchange them, as much as we would hate that, because shining new boots is a pain in the ass, but its probably the only thing to do. :cdn:

As i recall from cadet days, it actually is possible, but it will take hours upon hours of shining to accomplish...i've had some success with smaller gashes/dents, even on my civilian leather hiking boots. However, aye--exchanging them might be the most practical course of action. Good luck!

it's not the leather that's cut...

it's just that all of the layers of shoe polish that's on has been scrapped off.. down to the leather itself

thanks anyways

Before you exchange your boots there is at least one other thing you can try.  I find that if I get a large scuff/gash on my boots the best way to repair it is as follows.  Apply a decent amount of polish to a cloth as if you were going to spit shine the boot.  Scrub the area of the gash with a lot of pressure for quite a while.  The idea is to wear down the edges of the gash so the area is smoother.  Once the gash has been replaced by a smooth depression in the polish simply apply a few coats of polish to bring back the shine.  I will still take a lot of polishing to completely even out the surface of the boot but the damage will be a lot less noticible.  Good luck

then don't put on "layer after layer", what you basically have to do is re-apply a thick base coat to that area, and then polish a few layers on top.

gryphon664 said:
it's not the leather that's cut...

it's just that all of the layers of shoe polish that's on has been scrapped off.. down to the leather itself

thanks anyways

That's easy, a little mineral spirits on a cloth, wipe it over the gash quickly to soften the polish, and then polish as per-normal after the area drys a little.

could also try melting the wax off, say with a blow dryer etc....then re-apply

You could always take it to a shoe repair and pay them 10 - 20 bucks to reshine it for you.

Back