• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boot, General Purpose (Mk III acting/interim replacement)

OldSolduer said:
Little do you know that we are not allowed to Buy Off the Shelf. :rage:
As I've been told (correct me someone if I'm wrong) we have to buy "Canadian" therefore Original Swat, Danner etc are not even considered.
Am I correct?

They bring in their medical chit "member requires non-issued footwear due to medical reasons" ... and we go downtown and purchase. It may be Danners, it may be Swats -- it all depends on what footwear the local supplier carries, and it is all dependant upon what is available locally for purchase.

Contracting for the actual CF issued footwear is a whole other matter however, and federal contracting policies apply IAW Treasury Board and PWGSC regulations.

So, are these boots "interim" in the sense that income tax is an "interim" measure to fund the Great War?  Or are they going to be around for a while?  I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a pair to try out to see if they're better than my warehouse full of Gucci boots that being Class A I only can seem to get "temporary" chits that let me get away with wearing Danners for a while.  If the system is supplying boots I can wear with my orthotics and be comfortable, I'd love it...

Here in Borden if you have a chit that states you require "soft soled" boots, or "footwear to accommodate orthotics" we issue the GP in place of the MkIII. Or, if we are out of your size (currently anything between say 7 1/2 - 9 1/2) then you get the GP as well. The GP is more accommodating to the orthotics as they have a more flexible sizing system. The down side is you would now have to buy a different boot paste as you shouldn't use the Kiwi polish on them (this causes problems with the leather).

Chapeski says,  "The down side is you would now have to buy a different boot paste as you shouldn't use the Kiwi polish on them (this causes problems with the leather)."

Elf's experience: Six months with same old Kiwi - no issues to-date. In fact they shine quite nicely with Kiwi.

And, if you are not to use Kiwi polish, why don't they issue paste like they do with the CWWB?
I, for one, would love to try the GP boot, only because of the lacing (almost) down to the toes.  I have to unlace my combat boot past the ankle just to get it on or off.  :(

Chapeski said:
The down side is you would now have to buy a different boot paste as you shouldn't use the Kiwi polish on them (this causes problems with the leather).

I've been issued a pair of GP boots and I was wondering if there was a commercially available paste / care product that I could use on them ?

DeweyDecimalSystem said:
I've been issued a pair of GP boots and I was wondering if there was a commercially available paste / care product that I could use on them ?

Why don't you use the stuff that's made for them -- that you can pick up for free from your Clothing Stores or your QM?

ArmyVern said:
Why don't you use the stuff that's made for them -- that you can pick up for free from your Clothing Stores or your QM?

I haven't received it.  I asked about it but was told I was to receive only the items on my kit list and nothing else.  So, no boot stuff...

DeweyDecimalSystem said:
I haven't received it.  I asked about it but was told I was to receive only the items on my kit list and nothing else.  So, no boot stuff...

Go to your QM or to clothing and ask for the boot paste ...

ArmyVern said:
Go to your QM or to clothing and ask for the boot paste ...

EMU Boot Paste, Low Gloss, Black, NSN 7930-21-920-9465

TCBF said:
EMU Boot Paste, Low Gloss, Black, NSN 7930-21-920-9465

:D

Well, I kind of thought just asking for the boot paste would have done the trick for him; it's only people like me who ask for stock numbers from my troops so I get the order right and we don't end up with cases of cans of liquid "Repellant, silicone, black" on the darn shelves.  ;)

I really liked the prospector stuff :D for the WWB... no seriously!

Are they still available? or is it just a generic boot paste now for both?

ArmyVern said:

Well, I kind of thought just asking for the boot paste would have done the trick for him; it's only people like me who ask for stock numbers from my troops so I get the order right and we don't end up with cases of cans of liquid "Repellant, silicone, black" on the darn shelves.  ;)

- You would not believe the stuff I put on a 2227.

- So, why no C width (96) for the GP Boot?  I've walked about 15 km in the D width (100), and I really miss the C wides.  The D wides are going to be 'hamburger helpers' on long ruck marches, by the feel of them.

TCBF said:
- You would not believe the stuff I put on a 2227.

>:D

You see, I have a great bunch of troops who fill in those 2227s ... and then just bring 'em in for my signature. Too simple (back in the day though -- I could cram an awful lot of UFI onto a 2302).  ;D

As for the boots and their available widths -- I can't answer your question -- I am a mere Supply Tech (besides I'm sticking with my MkIIIs ... which I love dearly and have never had a problem with, so I'm sticking with what works for me).

I am wearing a pair this very moment. I have now worn the most of the winter in Edmonton and have had no major issues with them so far in the cold, they are much better than the CWWB's in that regard. After wearing them a grand total of 4 time I went on BFT, I did have a couple of hot spots though probably due to being poster to an airforce base previously. I did wear them for part of our winter EX and had only one issue and that was I could feel moisture starting to penetrate, it was very warm and slushy for us. I switch to CWWB, and was skating with them. We will have our spring EX coming up in may I will have them and my deserts. So we will see how they hold up then and I will report back.

ArmyVern said:
... I'm sticking with my MkIIIs ... which I love dearly and have never had a problem with, ...

- Well, my bony heels have worn away the insides of my Mk III's, so I had to try at least ONE pr of the Boots GP.  I like the speed lacing. I like the icy road performance. But would appreciate boots in my size.

I managed to get myself some MkIIIs before they went (exchanged my old ones in), but I dread the day I wear those puppies out and have to "upgrade" to the GPs. It's a day I'm not looking forward to at all.

Back