• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Breathing Tips For Step test

T

Teamfm

I was just wondering if there are any techniques for breathing while doing the step test that will keep your heart rate rather low. I have a step test this Thursday. I can run the 2.4km in 11 minutes but am alittle nervous about this step test, I am not nervous about completing it, I know I can no problem, just worried about my heart rate staying in good range because I use to be overweight. Thanks!

Your question poses an ethical dilemma.
If somebody is looking for ways of "cheating" on a test, I hope nobody helps them.
However, if somebody is simply asking for clarification of what to expect, and how to avoid "false" results or inadventently failing, that‘s fair ball.

One of my friends (a marathon runner) had problems passing the step test when it was first introduced - his heart rate would shoot up too quickly in the first couple of dances, and they wouldn‘t let him go any further.
Out of frustration he went to a civilian fitness clinic where they put him through a more thorough battery of test - they determined that his heart rate did indeed increase quickly ... but then levelled out at quite a reasonable plateau, and went on, and on, and on, and on, and ... (you get the picture - a veritable "Energizer Bunny")

Also - please keep in mind that this and many other tests are intended to be a measure of your fitness. "Tricking" the test isn‘t the aim - you‘re only fooling yourself if you do, and you‘ll fail later on ...

Now, having said all of the above, let‘s talk about any test:
People often get nervous when facing the unknown, and their heart rate can go up ... (i.e. a test could unwittingly becomes a test of nerves, instead of ... whatever).
So, the best advice is to stay calm.
Ultimately, you know how fit you are, and you should be confident that you‘re fit enough to join the Army.

To avoid "false" readings due to unnecessary nervousness, get familiar with the environment you‘ll be tested in (i.e. remove the fear of the unknown).
There‘s no law against practicing, either, as long as it‘s not for the intent of cheating (i.e. if the ONLY cardio exercise you do is the stair climber/master, you‘re only fooling yourself - you‘ll fail once the test criteria changes to running or marching with a full rucksack ...)
And, since you know how to use the Internet well enough to arrive here, you should be able to do your own research by searching for "step test" or "Harvard step test".
Good luck.

When I did my test I was very nervous!! I would run every second day and on the days I wasn‘t running I used the stair climber. Not the life step but the one where you acutally have to lift your legs to climb the stairs. I had a completely different work out when I used the stair climber.
On the day of your test make sure you don‘t have any caffeine. I knew I would be nervous so when I did my step test I explained them that I did not want to talk while I was on the stairs as I knew it would increase my heart rate. They were great about it and I passed with no problem!!

Good luck with your test and remember to breath when you are stepping.

BTW I also practised on my home stairs just like the test would make you go. I was worried about tripping when I came back down!!

It‘s a fricken step test...

Quit posting so much on the BASIC fitness test, there is nothing to it, I‘ll do it right now if you want. How come there are never posts here asking for advice on how to max the Cooper‘s Test?

I want to hear about how far people have pushed themselves, not about fears of arms giving out after 4 pushups.

Infanteer... you may think it‘s nothing, and for all we know, it is. However, not all of us are in the peak physical form that comes with being in the forces. A lot of us have lived sedentary lifestyles, and are starting to build themselves back up physically.

Last year at this time, I could have done maybe 5 push ups if my life depended on it. I am at a much better place, but it takes time. When I go for my PT, even though I know I will pass, I am still nervous. The nervousness of the unknown. These people (and myself included) are trying to get as much information as possible, so we can do as good as possible. We want to do ourselves and the Forces proud.

That being said, do you have some advice for maxing the Cooper‘s test? What is the best you have done on this?

Thanks...

I responded because there is a new thread every week, never fails, that trys to get angles on the BASIC PT requirements. How is there angles on doing 19 pushups and situps?

I just get the impression that people feel that the PT standards are the biggest hurdle they have to overcome before settling into a cozy uniform.

PT should be seen as a way of life, not as some inconvienence to be encountered in the recruiting process.

As for the Cooper‘s Test, ask a specific question and I‘m sure someone here can help you.

True enough. It does get frustrating when people don‘t even bother doing a search. It ain‘t that hard, people...

I agree with you as well that PT is a way of life. This was something in my life that I had to change about a year and a half ago... and it has become a part of my life.

I only wish that PT was the hardest obstacle.. lol... but then, what would I have left to shoot for.

As for the Coopers test, I did a search at http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/gentest.htm as to what the Cooper‘s test entailed, and it said it was a measure to see how far you could run in 12 minutes. Infanteer (or anyone else), what is the best way that you have found to increase your speed in the short run? I do a series of sprints up a large hill (about a 30 degree or better grade, for at least 150 m)... and it seems to help with my speed.. what do you do?

Hey Tyrnagog, I‘ve been trying to find the Coopers Fitness standards also and with much searching, I was only able to find the fitness norm for Law Enforcement.

I think what the Coopers Institute does is develop a program based on the needs/requirements of the team.

Here is the procedure and sequencing of physical fitness tests in law enforcement. It‘s a pdf file so you‘ll need Adobe Acrobat.

http://dev.cooperinst.org/shopping/lawstand3.pdf

very cool... thanks GirlFiredUp. That‘s a great resource... a bunch of interesting bench-marks!

For Tyrnagog:
I don‘t run unless I have to (no need to frighten the troops ...)

Until such time as a running expert intervenes ... it‘s the same old story - fitness tests are intended to test your fitness - if you‘re looking for "tricks" to cheat on a test, it‘ll only come back to haunt you ...
However, if you‘re simply looking at ensuring you don‘t inadvertently fail a test due to nerves, inexperience, whatever ... okay.

Last time I did the CF shuttle run, the instructor cautioned us not to "stop dead in our tracks" but to try and maintain momentum when we changed direction (I do know about skating, so I understand the principle - on skates you stop by leaning backwards ... and thus you‘re leaning in the direction you‘re already leaning in the next direction you want to go in). Unfortunately, I forgot, and wasted a lot of momentum each time I changed direction ... sigh ... (don‘t worry - I still passed).

If you‘ve got a stop watch, time yourself on your practice runs (i.e. on a measured distance, back and forth) - it‘s just wind sprints, with the wrinkle thrown in that the sprints are back-to-back, in opposite directions ...
You should be able to figure out what works and what doesn‘t (i.e. same as any athletic endeavour - exercise, rest, nutrition, attitude).

I am not trying to cheat on this fitness test... this is for my own personal betterment. I have pretty good endurance for runs, but I want to be able to decrease my time for those runs.

but thanks for the info!

Infanteer, I would love to know tips on how to get a 100 points on a coopers test. For me, I would never be able to get the max points for the bench press, (im a measly 18 yr old, 145lbs soaking wet) but ive tried and have maxed out on the run, I can get all the points for the sit ups, most of them for the push ups, but the pull ups (palms forward?) cause some problems too, I can only squeeze out about, 9-10 maybe. Id ask how the scores work, but im sure I can find that on a search.

As for the original post, ummm, why dont you just breathe the same way u breathe when you run? It‘s not cheating, its a simple way to keep your heart rate lower and controlled. There is a reason why runners breathe in through there nose and out there mouth. Just keep in controlled and steady.

Hey thanks for the reply‘s. I‘m not trying to "cheat" on the test obviously. I run 3km every single day and in good time. I am just worried that yes, I will get nervous and all this hardwork will pay off for nothing! It‘s stupid that they have this step test, it says you have to run 2.4km. Why not make it so you actually have to run 2.4km cause I would have no problem in that. Just wanted tips on helping my breathing to relax me! thanks.

Fast and shallow breaths = bad

Slow and overly deep breaths = bad

Steady and controled breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth = good

Cheating = spending the morning huffing oxygen from an O2 canister to oxygenate your blood.
Cheating = putting a litre of your blood in the fridge for a few weeks while you train and injecting it back in the morning of your PT test.

If you‘re really super worried about the PT test, you could always drive out to the nearest mountain and train at several thousand feet above the elevation of your CFRC.

If you need to huff oxygen or pack your blood for such a basic fitness test you shouldn‘t be trying to get in the army. ;)

Its truly easy, the step test doesnt even test you to the 2.4 k in 12 minutes standard. Or at least seemed like it was going much slower to me.

If you‘re young and not over-weight you can reach 19 pushup reps in weeks, and situps should generally be easy. You aren‘t tested in chinups or pullups and as long as you‘ve worked with your hands at least sometime in your life you should be able to grip 75 kg of weight.

When was the last time someone concentrated on their breathing when they climbed a flight of stairs in their home, or office building, or at an arena, etc..?? Breathing is something we do naturally. Everyone at least once in their lifetime has had to climb a flight of stairs and I guess what I‘m saying is it would be a waste of energy if we had to concentrate on breathing a certain way just to do what the body does naturally. Just me 2 cents.

Originally posted by Infanteer:
[qb] .....

It‘s a fricken step test...

Quit posting so much on the BASIC fitness test, there is nothing to it, I‘ll do it right now if you want. How come there are never posts here asking for advice on how to max the Cooper‘s Test?

I want to hear about how far people have pushed themselves, not about fears of arms giving out after 4 pushups. [/qb]
I went to do my PT test on Monday, and the recruiter told me that half the people who take the test fail it. I asked him if he was kidding, but he was serious.

One guy failed during my first testing session. I felt bad for him, but he was trying for res infantry so obviously he needed some more work.

Cheating = spending the morning huffing oxygen from an O2 canister to oxygenate your blood.
Cheating = putting a litre of your blood in the fridge for a few weeks while you train and injecting it back in the morning of your PT test.

Yes because this happens quite often.
If you fail the step test then you shouldnt be in the military. Thats a harsh truth.
Theres no real way to help someone pass on a really short notice. Theres no secret tricks except breath in through your nose and out your mouth.

Back