• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Anxiety due to abuse

e_180

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello there. I've been lurking for a little bit and I haven't seen any discussion on this. Would love some insight on anything I can possibly do.

When I was maybe 13, I was groomed by a guy much older that showed sociopathic tendencies. At the time, I was too young and naive to really understand what was going on. To keep it short, a lot of physical, sexual and psychological abuse followed in the coming years. (I will not go into detail, but yes, he tried to kill me at one point) I was able to keep it together throughout my first two years in high school (straight As). My dream school was the RMC. That was until my parents noticed my grades slipping in Grade 11 and sent me to a psychiatrist for an evaluation. The psychiatrist diagnosed me with GAD and SAD and put me on medication (Prozac) for 6 months because I was so afraid my boyfriend at the time might do something to me again. It also says in my files that I was referred for having suicidal thoughts. I didn't tell a soul about any of this at the time until my guidance counsellor asked me one day during a career path discussion how I planned to get into any of my university choices with my grades slipping this bad. I think I told her everything that happened that day. She cried hearing some of the stuff I'd been through.

She told me to not bother applying to the RMC ever, since if I applied it would be an immediate disqualification due to my anxiety diagnosis and a waste of time. I was absolutely devastated to say the least but I followed her advice. I did an extra year of high school, got a 90% avg, applied to a civilian university, got in and continued with my life. My ex-boyfriend passively stalked me for a couple years but eventually gave up to chase after another girl younger than me. I tried warning the girl but was blocked and threatened with violence. I had no physical proof of any of this, my parents weren't even aware of the relationship and seeing how some friends of mine in high school were treated for coming out about being SA'd, it made me not want to report any of it anyways.

I went off my medication after the 6 months I was told to take them with my doctor's approval, and stopped counselling as well. Fast forward 3 years from then, I'm now starting my second year of studies in September. I'm also in the process of getting my PAL.

Of course, the CAF always stayed at the back of my mind as that option that I felt was taken from me because of a series of unfortunate events one after the other that landed me at the psychiatrist. I ended up applying for ROTP maybe about a week ago, and my CFAT is soon. I figure since I'm only officially finished my first year that I can get some transfer credits, and if not I don't mind having to stay the full 4 years at RMC.

I know my chances of passing the medical are slim, I'm prepared to be rejected but I'd rather try than never know. I am aware that everyone gets to apply, but only the best get chosen.

My question: Will there be an opportunity during the medical to explain my situation? And will the circumstances surrounding my diagnosis be recorded and sent to Borden, or is it just a "if the box is checked, there's no chance" type of situation like my guidance counsellor said all those years ago?

My question: Will there be an opportunity during the medical to explain my situation? And will the circumstances surrounding my diagnosis be recorded and sent to Borden, or is it just a "if the box is checked, there's no chance" type of situation like my guidance counsellor said all those years ago?
Yes - a good history should and will be taken and then you'll likely be handed a form to be filled out by your family doc or psychiatrist detailing your mental health issues, how they've been treated, how/if they're currently being managed and prognosis. That too will go to Borden to the RMO to make a decision.

General Anxeity Disorder, Seasonal Anxeity Disorder, suicidal thoughts.

Joining the military with that will be like playing a video game on the hardest difficulty setting.

You should join the Canadian Forces reddit group and ask about what it's like for people with these issues to be in the military.

Back