• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

British REME Warrant Officer Class 1 hoping to enlist - any advice?

British Army

Inactive
Reaction score
Greetings my Canadian friends  :salute:

Here's the scenario - I leave the British Army (Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers) in May 2011 after 22 years, by which time I will be 40 yrs old. My family and I wish to emigrate to your fine country. We spent a year in Alberta stationed at CFB Suffield and had a great time.  Based on the information below; what do you think my chances of enlisting are and what would be the best way to go about proceeding:

Rank: Warrant Officer Class 1 Artificer Sergeant Major (ASM) - I think this equates to your Chief Warrant Officer?

Trade: I enlisted and qualified as a Vehicle Mechanic (VM) subsequently working on a variety of wheeled and tracked vehicles; I was then selected for fast-tracking through our Artificer stream - I think this equates to a Vehicle Technician who has completed the Advanced MOC Training at the Supervisor and Manager level, however, our Artificer Course is 18-months long.

Qualifications: I have Secondary School GCEs and a BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Mechanical Engineering - this equates to Grade 12 and a Canadian three-year post-secondary diploma, according to IQAS.

Military Record: Classified as 'exemplary;' - I have the Long Service & Good Conduct medal (which means I never got caught).  :)

Medical: Classified as FE which means I am fully fit, pass all fitness tests and am deployable worldwide.

Experience: Extensive - I have worked hands-on as a Mechanic, commanded a 16 man section on operations, been a Workshop Sergeant Major and worked in Defence Procurement & Support etc.  I have served in the UK, Germany, Northern Ireland, Norway, Turkey, Bosnia, Iraq, Afghanistan and Canada.  :cdn:

At this stage I would appreciate any feedback, advice or contact details you can provide - if anyone knows an ex-Brit who has enlisted it would be particularly useful.

Many thanks  ;)

Pete

The info in the thread you posted in on ARRSE is still current.  You're probably looking at around 12 to 18 months if the CF decides to enroll you as a non-citizen.  Getting your residency through the Skilled Worker scheme you mentioned can't hurt.  Might consider joining the TA, there is an exchange programme of sorts between the British and Canadian reserve units.

Good luck.

AmmoTech90 said:
Might consider joining the TA, there is an exchange programme of sorts between the British and Canadian reserve units.

Not an exchange program in the strictest sense.  It's called Reserve Force Foreign Service Agreement.  It allows Reservists to train in the other signatory's Reserve force for up to three years. Details can be found on the Director Reserves web page.

For SPECIFIC RFFSA questions, PM me.

AmmoTech90 said:
The info in the thread you posted in on ARRSE is still current.  You're probably looking at around 12 to 18 months if the CF decides to enroll you as a non-citizen.  Getting your residency through the Skilled Worker scheme you mentioned can't hurt.  Might consider joining the TA, there is an exchange programme of sorts between the British and Canadian reserve units.

Good luck.

Thanks for the heads up.  Yes, the info is current so the timing looks favourable.  Fingers crossed.

Pete

With a record like that, you could be the new Branch RSM!!! The only thing I can see would be the citizenship, but there are ways to deal with that.

Arte et Marte!!

British Army said:
Rank: Warrant Officer Class 1 Artificer Sergeant Major (ASM) - I think this equates to your Chief Warrant Officer?
It's the same thing really; same rank, same kind of role and responsibility (technical knowledge, discipline, NCM morale, et al). They are both "Other Ranks-9". (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranks_and_insignia_of_NATO_Armies_Enlisted). After all the Canadian rank system was largely adopted from the British.

When I was in Meaford back in 1994 I think there was British guy  there , he was an older  guy  from 22 SVC BN London( hope I got the unit number right been awhile) . He was always talking with the SNR NCOS the Camp RSm and  so on. He was a former British engineer and he was equal to Sgt major or CWO. He ended up coming to Canada and his unit built a lot of the roads and did road repairs at Meaford as part of his British Units training because of the Union labour laws back in the UK. They  were not allowed to do some construction projects . Anyways he met a Canadian girl and got married. He came to Canada and joined the SV BN as a ADm Clerk, he was promoted at Meaford to MCPL and they  were working hard to get him promoted again to be close to his former rank.
Not sure what happened to him. BUt I know it is possible to join and serve in CF with British Svc time being counted.
Maybe some one here is from 22 Svc and know who I mean and get in contact with him , he might be able to explain how he did it to join the CF

A quick update.....

Took the useful advice above (many thanks) and spoke to a CF recruiter on-line.  He sent me a guide for foreign military members. I then sent off a cover letter and résumé about a month ago applying for the position of Vehicle Technician (VT) in the EME Branch. Last week I got a phone call letting me know that there is interest in my application and they needed more info. This week I e-mailed through copies of all my annual reports, course reports and qualifications. I am hoping that this means they're going forward with a Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)? Hopefully the fact that Canada First Defence Strategy stipulates the need to expand the Regular Force to 70,000 and the trade of VT is currently highlighted as an 'in demand' trade means I might be in with a good shout of being offered something. The fingers are still firmly crossed  :)

Unfortunately the Veh tech trade is extremely short at the Cfn/ Cpl level, and I doubt you are willing to start right back at the bottom, especially after many long years of exemplary service.
Who knows, they may offer you a comission, part of the Comissioning from the Ranks Program. Taking the phase training would bring you right up to speed with LEMS and EME way of doing business. I have no idea of how our two systems are similar or different but I'm sure the challenges of trying to figure us out will be rewarding!
Best of luck!

combatbuddha said:
Taking the phase training would bring you right up to speed with LEMS and EME way of doing business. I have no idea of how our two systems are similar or different but I'm sure the challenges of trying to figure us out will be rewarding!
Best of luck!

I have downloaded the LEMS from the CF website; not exactly JK Rowling but I'll persevere - after 21 yrs i've learned there are no wiser words than the quote in my sig block  ;)

British Army said:
A quick update.....

Took the useful advice above (many thanks) and spoke to a CF recruiter on-line.  He sent me a guide for foreign military members. I then sent off a cover letter and résumé about a month ago applying for the position of Vehicle Technician (VT) in the EME Branch. Last week I got a phone call letting me know that there is interest in my application and they needed more info. This week I e-mailed through copies of all my annual reports, course reports and qualifications. I am hoping that this means they're going forward with a Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)? Hopefully the fact that Canada First Defence Strategy stipulates the need to expand the Regular Force to 70,000 and the trade of VT is currently highlighted as an 'in demand' trade means I might be in with a good shout of being offered something. The fingers are still firmly crossed  :)

Good show. If you haven't done so already, I'd also suggest that you ask former COs/ Supervisors for a letter of reference describing the work you did for them and how well you did. I did this when I returned to Canada from the Paras. I found that the milspeak for the UK and Canada are different, and a good reference letter can help cut through the communications gap, especially when it comes to looking for equivalencies, eh?

British Army said:
I have downloaded the LEMS from the CF website; not exactly JK Rowling but I'll persevere - after 21 yrs i've learned there are no wiser words than the quote in my sig block  ;)

This has to be my favourite definition so far:  ;D

Robbing - The controlled removal with intent to replace of serviceable repair parts from an equipment, as the expedient method of restoring another equipment to a serviceable condition. (CFTV)

At least you acknowledge 'robbing' as a repair procedure. We (the British Army) do this all the time, but we don't have an official term for it and when anyone important asks we pretend that it never happens.  ???

WO1

Call Canadian Defence Liaison Staff London at the Canadian High Commission and speak to Col Cotten or the Asst Army Attache.... They actually handle these issues with some frequency ...and Col cotton was the last Comd of our Recruiting System (CFRS).  Good luck!

daftandbarmy said:
Good show. If you haven't done so already, I'd also suggest that you ask former COs/ Supervisors for a letter of reference describing the work you did for them and how well you did. I did this when I returned to Canada from the Paras. I found that the milspeak for the UK and Canada are different, and a good reference letter can help cut through the communications gap, especially when it comes to looking for equivalencies, eh?

Following up on your comments above, I have recently (and very gratefully) been given a letter of reference from a serving CF LCol whom I came under the command of, when he was an exchange officer, many years ago. The letter gives an excellent explanation of the Artificer selection and training which I have undertaken as well as a very favourable representation of my character and personal qualities. Hopefully this will assist the DAT with cross-referencing equivalencies as part of my PLAR. My application went in a couple of months ago now so I am hoping that things are under way and I might hear something back soon.  ;)

British Army said:
Following up on your comments above, I have recently (and very gratefully) been given a letter of reference from a serving CF LCol whom I came under the command of, when he was an exchange officer, many years ago. The letter gives an excellent explanation of the Artificer selection and training which I have undertaken as well as a very favourable representation of my character and personal qualities. Hopefully this will assist the DAT with cross-referencing equivalencies as part of my PLAR. My application went in a couple of months ago now so I am hoping that things are under way and I might hear something back soon.  ;)

Further to my last, I received another letter of reference yesterday, this time from my Head of Group, Brigadier Ian Simpson. More good evidence to add to the portfolio - I've sent both letters off to the CFRG to add to my application file.  ;)

Keep in constant contact with everyone you have spoken to. CFRG is notorious for lollygagging on issues that are "abnormal".
The Canadian High Commission will be you're best bet is suspect. If you haven't been there yet have a look at www.canada.gc.ca. It is be no means extensive in detail, but might answer some questions you may not have thought of.
It can be frustrating at times but bear with it. I think the payoff for you will be worth it.
Best of luck to you.

British Army said:
Further to my last, I received another letter of reference yesterday, this time from my Head of Group, Brigadier Ian Simpson. More good evidence to add to the portfolio - I've sent both letters off to the CFRG to add to my application file.  ;)

Excellent. It always pays to wait awhile so previous bosses are Brigadiers etc vs. mere LCols etc when you last worked with them.  ;)

daftandbarmy said:
Excellent. It always pays to wait awhile so previous bosses are Brigadiers etc vs. mere LCols etc when you last worked with them.  ;)

I understand your sentiment in this particular scenario, however, I would never consider anyone as a 'mere' LCol. Although the letter of reference from the Brigadier may hold more weight in terms of rank, I believe the letter from the CF LCol adds much more value to the whole process. They are speaking from within your own organisation and giving a first hand explanation of my training and equivalencies; this has to be of more benefit than a generic recommendation from somebody representing a foreign organisation regardless of the fact that they outrank them? Just my :2c: worth - you will no doubt know better than me which the CF recruiter would rather read, perhaps I am wrong?

Back