• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C3 Howitzer Replacement

Stop the inking at operator level, think at planning. The BK, BSM, Coy 2IC, SSMs ect plan that sustainment and how fuel gets delivered is part of that. Accounting for Jerrie’s vs fuel trucks and time adjustments for the DP is all part of that.
The fact that our Regular force service battalions hardly have the equipment to provide full services. I doubt a reserve svc battalion would.
Work with what you got and let them table top the rest.

See above. Both matter. Again you’re thinking about training only at the soldier level. Need to think about major muscle movements.
They can do sim training to figure that out. But on a unit level training for a week or weekend you need realistic goals.
It’s the norm.

All of which plays into the unreliable force generation / training cycle. Lots of factors can effect the attendance of training - that’s deeply problematic is your trying to force generate trained soldiers capable to doing a given mission.
Give them the money, equipment and Consistency of training things will fall in place.
We agree. Unreliable force generators are not good investments. Fix that and they become good investments.

In 2019 we waited 3 months for 39 CMBG to relieve us, in Vernon, with an under strength company that. Had soldiers that werent even OFP yet. I’d hardly call that a massive success. Yes reservist have stood up and made huge contributions, but once again, it’s a voluntary basis which means you can never count on it to happen.
Many of those may have been working at jobs that can't or won't let their members go.
It would be Interesting to see a review conducted on why it took so long and why so few showed up.
Yes, so now that training is valuable, contradicts what you said before
I never said training wasnt valuable. In a realistic situation where we can train two birds with one stone why would we not. Cross train a person to be able to fuel trucks using a bowser. Not that hard to do and you can save lots of time messing around with Jerry cans

in Ukraine they have armoured people fueling tanks, fixing tanks, stealing tanks.
major repairs they go back to repair depots either in country or out.
but i don’t generally expect your arguments to survive much analysis.
ROTFL. I love your general insults comming from well respected person such as yourself full of knowledge and skills.

perhaps we can buy some of these from our Ukrainian buddies and help both of us out

Too Bad. I would have liked to see how they handle rearming the magazine. The concept of staying in a hide and then deploying to shoot, greatly reduces response time. Based on the targets that the gunner described, it looks like it's being employed in more of a GS rather than a CS role.

🍻

Too Bad. I would have liked to see how they handle rearming the magazine. The concept of staying in a hide and then deploying to shoot, greatly reduces response time. Based on the targets that the gunner described, it looks like it's being employed in more of a GS rather than a CS role.

🍻
My thoughts as well, I think in the way they use it, the limited loadout is less of a concern.

🍻
Here's a couple of videos that show a little bit about the re-loading process. In the 2nd video it's at the 7min mark.

The claim is 8-10 minutes to reload the 21 round magazine with each Archer having a dedicated munitions carrier (which appears to be un-armoured) and carries 100 rounds.

Bags loaded into the carousal by hand, individual shells loaded using a assist arm with powered grapple. Some sources claim they can carry 20 reloads onboard as well.

I suspect this version will carry more reloads, it will give up a bit of manoeuvrability over the other chassis. One long term benefit of having the crew completely enclosed is the long term damage caused by repeated concussions from firing will be greatly reduced.
Archer_8x8-on-RHM-truck.jpg

I suspect this version will carry more reloads, it will give up a bit of manoeuvrability over the other chassis. One long term benefit of having the crew completely enclosed is the long term damage caused by repeated concussions from firing will be greatly reduced.
Archer_8x8-on-RHM-truck.jpg
The Rheinmetall MAN 8x8 has remarkably good off road mobility for its size and weight and probably is better than the 6x6.

Bags loaded into the carousal by hand, individual shells loaded using a assist arm with powered grapple. Some sources claim they can carry 20 reloads onboard as well.

The reloads in board a fine, it’s still 8-10 minutes to reload the magazine. So better at least.

Here's a couple of videos that show a little bit about the re-loading process. In the 2nd video it's at the 7min mark.
Thanks. I've seen both of those and they're why I've reached the conclusion that I don't like Archer's limber system at all. I'm more into the system used by the M109/M992 and K9/K10.

I was hoping to see if the Ukrainians have come up with a more practical solution that will serve in sustained combat.
One long term benefit of having the crew completely enclosed is the long term damage caused by repeated concussions from firing will be greatly reduced.
I hope so. If you've worked with 155s you'll learn that the greatest blast effect comes at the muzzle brake sideways and forward. The longer range from the L52 comes from both the longer barrel and higher charges which will undoubtedly increase the blast at the muzzle from what we were used to with the M109A4+ and the M777. The M109's cab helped but it was also at the rear of the gun.

Since the Brit's are getting it maybe Brit Health and Safety will look at it and ban it. :giggle:

🍻

Thanks. I've seen both of those and they're why I've reached the conclusion that I don't like Archer's limber system at all. I'm more into the system used by the M109/M992 and K9/K10.

I was hoping to see if the Ukrainians have come up with a more practical solution that will serve in sustained combat.

I hope so. If you've worked with 155s you'll learn that the greatest blast effect comes at the muzzle brake sideways and forward. The longer range from the L52 comes from both the longer barrel and higher charges which will undoubtedly increase the blast at the muzzle from what we were used to with the M109A4+ and the M777. The M109's cab helped but it was also at the rear of the gun.

Since the Brit's are getting it maybe Brit Health and Safety will look at it and ban it. :giggle:

🍻
I know the M992 has a conveyor system for re-loading the M109 but in every video I could find the crews were reloading by hand.

Here however are a couple of videos that show the K10 reloading system for South Korea's K9 Thunder SPG:

I know the M992 has a conveyor system for re-loading the M109 but in every video I could find the crews were reloading by hand.

Here however are a couple of videos that show the K10 reloading system for South Korea's K9 Thunder SPG:

Yup. I've run into that before on the M992.

There used to be a conveyor system inside the body of the M992. The vehicle would back up to the M109 and extend the conveyor into the lower back hatch of the M109. Crews found the conveyor slower than transferring ammo by hand and started removing the conveyor. More recently that has become a system-wide standard, I believe. They even modified the M992's back doors so as to provide protection to the crew while transferring ammo.

I think the bustle that's been added to the M109 turret also complicated conveyor operation.

The K10 has its conveyor come out of its front. This allows the vehicle to drive straight up behind the K9 and "plug in". It's a simpler construct from the M992 and, IMHO, a more elegant solution.

🍻

Question here for those who set up gun lines:

What is an acceptable time for setting up a gun line, and putting effective rounds on bad guys?

We were pretty quick in Mortar Pl but that was ages ago.

What is an acceptable time for setting up a gun line, and putting effective rounds on bad guys?

Quick actions should have rounds down range, off the march, in 90 seconds.

A day deliberate occupation of a gun position used to take 15- 30 minutes or so to get orientation and fixation passed to all guns. I imagine it is a fair bit faster nowadays.

Quick actions should have rounds down range, off the march, in 90 seconds.

A day deliberate occupation of a gun position used to take 15- 30 minutes or so to get orientation and fixation passed to all guns. I imagine it is a fair bit faster nowadays.
90 Seconds - damn and that was the olden days.... ;)

The standard for the Airborne gunners was to be able to jump, and have the guns ready to rock, by P-Hr+30 minutes.

The 81mm MORs were ready by P-Hr+15.

On exercise, of course...

Back