• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cadpat Appropriate for Wear in Public?

Do you think that Cadpat/Combats is an appropriate form of dress for CF Members attending public eve

• Yes, I think that cadpats should be appropriate for wear at all public occasions.

Votes: 152 52.2%
  • No, I think that DEUs are a better representation of a professional when in the public eye.

Votes: 139 47.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ironically enough wearing the old OD combats gets me quite a few strange glances, whereas wearing my dress uniform nobody seems to notice...then again it is a cadet uniform :p

UBIQUE!!!!

they're a needless expenditure to a cash-strapped military. We ain't got enough beans an' bullets, but we got pretty sparklies on our uniforms. GAY.

That being said, I will be wearing mine to give a presentation to the Greenfields (Greenshields, Green-something) School Nov 10. And they're tailored, and they have sparkly crap on them. And it's still gay.

Hey.... the CF actually made money when they discontinued the clothing upkeep allowance in favor of giving all troops points to maintain their uniform.

Is this another communist plot by the dastardly Liberals?

Nope.... just sensible management and the fact that most troops were pocketing the allowance and wearing their worn out crap.

IMHO

Yea I read about the point system thing they have going on in the newsletter, when I was in the recruiting office. What do you guys think about it? Do they give enough points?

2332Piper said:
If we get beans n' bullets, will you then approve of a purchase of some more sparklies so we can be better turned out in public?
we get enough fightin' stuff to keep our people alive and become the force we should be, I'll design the friggin' sparklies! I'll deck you silly bastiches out like Soviet Field Marshalls if you want! Iron Crosses all around!
geo said:
Hey.... the CF actually made money when they discontinued the clothing upkeep allowance in favor of giving all troops points to maintain their uniform.

Nope.... just sensible management and the fact that most troops were pocketing the allowance and wearing their worn out crap.
yeah, this was a good idea that saved the CF a lot of money. Think how much more would be saved by eliminating the entire uniform, altogether.

geo said:

IMHO

Yeah, whew, would'nt want the great unwashed pocketing a few extra bucks each year.

So will drycleaning now be covered by points? Can I drop my DEUs off at stores for drycleaning? Did'nt think so. Will the CF subsidise my kit bag full of muddy, diesel stained and CS contaminated clothing? Or should I take care of that myself too? So the CF unloaded a maintenance cost onto their soldiers in the name of fiscal planning. Good job.

What is that principle? "know your men and promote their wel..." nah, thats just what they tell you. It's not supposed to have any practical application.

CUA was never intended to pay for drycleaning, and never for replacing kit other than CFs.

As for caring for other items of kit, WTF do you want? An allowance for washing powder? A percentage of your water bill paid for by the CF? maybe we should get an allowance for soap and shaving cream? Boot polish paid for? Haircuts?

Don't they pay you enough?

GO!!, in case you missed the boat, the money (depite the name of the allowance) was for replacing damaged or worn out CF kit. Unless you were a terminal participant in CB or Stoppage of Leave, as a Cbt arms soldier you likely never spent anywhere near the monthly tax free allowance for drycleaning anyway. "Unloaded a maintenance cost" indeed.

Out of curiosity, seeing as how this topic came up anyways...

On my BMQ our Platoon Warrant told us that we were allowed to wear our uniforms to school on Rememberance Day. Would he have been refering to CADPAT, or the DEUs?

Would I be alright for me to wear my CADPAT to my classes that day, seeing as I have not yet been issued my DEUs?

well....
the simple question would be to say.... Ask your Platoon WO
Tech speaking, he was refering to the DEUs.
... then again, outside of Quebec, Nov 11th is supposed to be a statutory holliday and I didn't think there were any classes on that day.
... Cadpat is not intended as a uniform to go to school in (unless it is battle school)

GO!!! said:
So will drycleaning now be covered by points? Can I drop my DEUs off at stores for drycleaning? Did'nt think so. Will the CF subsidise my kit bag full of muddy, diesel stained and CS contaminated clothing? Or should I take care of that myself too? So the CF unloaded a maintenance cost onto their soldiers in the name of fiscal planning. Good job.
duuude! All of your outside expenses can be claimed on income tax. Save your receipts. Anything job-related is claimable (is that a word?). That includes dry-cleaning, and laundry detergent. I get a nice chunk back every year.
Boogilywoo said:
Would I be alright for me to wear my CADPAT to my classes that day, seeing as I have not yet been issued my DEUs?
this is a question you are better off asking your Chain of Command. What my boss says may not jibe with yours.

never mind. Geo beat me to it.

Curses! Foiled again!

I agree with Matt, if it's a public event of any sort, it should be DEUs.  Show the colors anytime you can.  Cadpat is for daily work and the field.

In the Marine Corps, we can wear Marpats if you have to stop on the way to or from work for gas, diapers, milk or other essential items for the household but not anything else.  And yes, we will be charged if we get caught.  Public image is everything.  Have you ever seen a Marine on the Price is Right in cammies?....or how about a Canadian soldier in cadpat on Front page challenge or definitions:)

PJ D-Dog

having worked with the USMC, I've seen the money you get to train with. You can afford pretty uniforms. We have to sort this crap out by priority. And looking nice is real damn low on my list of priorities. Training and equipping service members to fight and survive is number one.

At home, I don't worry about buying chrome for the truck, if I can't afford groceries. Same thing here.

I often wonder just how much money we would have for proper equipments and training if there were more fiscal responsibility at the highest levels. How much money gets pissed away on stupid crap like safety posters and that dumb Army TV that nobody watches, that could go towards Exercises, or ranges?

paracowboy said:
I often wonder just how much money we would have for proper equipments and training if there were more fiscal responsibility at the highest levels. How much money gets pissed away on stupid crap like safety posters and that dumb Army TV that nobody watches, that could go towards Exercises, or ranges?

You mean like that classic "Je suis un petard/I am a thunderflash"?  ;D

Acorn said:
CUA was never intended to pay for drycleaning, and never for replacing kit other than CFs.

As for caring for other items of kit, WTF do you want? An allowance for washing powder? A percentage of your water bill paid for by the CF? maybe we should get an allowance for soap and shaving cream? Boot polish paid for? Haircuts?

Don't they pay you enough?

GO!!, in case you missed the boat, the money (depite the name of the allowance) was for replacing damaged or worn out CF kit. Unless you were a terminal participant in CB or Stoppage of Leave, as a Cbt arms soldier you likely never spent anywhere near the monthly tax free allowance for drycleaning anyway. "Unloaded a maintenance cost" indeed.

I have been told since the first day of my military career that CUA was for the upkeep of your field kit (because there is alot of it) and the drycleaning/tailoring etc of your DEUs, with the occasional purchase of new stuff. I would say that 17$ was kind of low in this respect, and does not even begin to cover what I already spend on uniform upkeep. If the army issues you a vehicle, are you expected to pay for gas and maintenance? Of course not, it is the crown's and you are expected to give it back in a certain condition, so the crown pays for the maintenance. Why is personal kit any different?

GO!!! said:
I have been told since the first day of my military career that CUA was for the upkeep of your field kit (because there is alot of it) and the drycleaning/tailoring etc of your DEUs, with the occasional purchase of new stuff. I would say that 17$ was kind of low in this respect, and does not even begin to cover what I already spend on uniform upkeep. If the army issues you a vehicle, are you expected to pay for gas and maintenance? Of course not, it is the crown's and you are expected to give it back in a certain condition, so the crown pays for the maintenance. Why is personal kit any different?

One significant difference is that not everybody is issued a vehicle, yet everyone is issued a uniform....

GO... as they have always said, ignorance is not an excuse.

The CUA was intended for individuals to maintain the uniforms that are issued once and which we were/are expected to maintain. Over the years, I have seen too many people with berets down to the cord & gray, worn out shoes, threadbare shirts, ankle high trousers and jackets that look like they're being worn by the incredible hulk... sometimes all on the same person at the same time.... it wasn't right!

Haircuts, laundry detergent, drycleaning, rent & rations are the same thing for everyone - civy or military.... I see no reason for your rant except the fact that they took that "lousy" 17$ away from you.... I've lost it too. I can live with it.

Negative.

Any civvie job I've had that required uniforms, special safety gear etc provided it, and had provisions for maintenance of it.

eg. when I worked on the rigs we were issued all of the pertinent safety/environmental gear, and the company took it back for cleaning at the end of your 12 day shift for cleaning, or gave you 39$ to have it cleaned.

While I realise that as a CWO you are expected to share the "corporate mentality" (you can't be angry at the man, because you ARE the mans' embodiment) - advocating a clawback of soldier's benefits is far from in the interest of the troops.

Why not get rid of the PLD you enjoy in Montreal as well? You probably are'nt spending it on the necessities of life, so it should be taken away to save the CF money. Sounds pretty good - right?  ^-^

GO!!! said:
Negative.

Any civvie job I've had that required uniforms, special safety gear etc provided it, and had provisions for maintenance of it.

eg. when I worked on the rigs we were issued all of the pertinent safety/environmental gear, and the company took it back for cleaning at the end of your 12 day shift for cleaning, or gave you 39$ to have it cleaned.

While I realise that as a CWO you are expected to share the "corporate mentality" (you can't be angry at the man, because you ARE the mans' embodiment) - advocating a clawback of soldier's benefits is far from in the interest of the troops.

Why not get rid of the PLD you enjoy in Montreal as well? You probably are'nt spending it on the necessities of life, so it should be taken away to save the CF money. Sounds pretty good - right?   ^-^

Rigworkers had dress uniforms?

When I was operations manager of a courier company, we issued out shirts and expected the couriers to wash them at home.  We also expected bicycle couriers to provide and maintain their own bicycles.

There is no "universal law" regarding the provision of maintenance funds.  It varies from company to company and industry to industry.  The oilpatch makes a ton of money.  The Canadian Army is not-for-profit.  I think that too is a significant difference...

PLDs are paid in a number of places, not just in Montreal. Matter of fact, it's a lot lower here than places like TO & Vancouver....

There are ground rules for the PLD the same as there were ground rules as to what the CUA was for... if you are entitled to PLD I am certain that you'd be willing to belly up to the community trough

Gripe to the people who work for car rental business' and those working the counters and dining rooms of restaurants about having to keep their uniforms clean.

GO!!! said:

That's often (but not always) true for things like safety gear, but much less often for other kinds of clothing (e.g. retail store or fast food restaurant uniforms).  I'm expected to wear appropriate business attire to my day job, but no-one's paying my drycleaning bill but me.

CUA has traditionally been for replacement of worn and damaged kit.  I've seen that in training materials from 1950s-vintage RCN books to things that were current in the 1990s.  There's no clawback here -- the allowance has been replaced with points, a theoretically equivalent value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back