• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CADPAT Rain Gear

There is the AF rain gear in Gortex and then there is the Army issue Rain gear in Gortex, similar but a few design . Perhaps the issue isn't who is getting it it's who is getting which version?

BulletMagnet said:
There is the AF rain gear in Gortex and then there is the Army issue Rain gear in Gortex, similar but a few design . Perhaps the issue isn't who is getting it it's who is getting which version?

and soon there will be only one version........

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
Not sure who is right or wrong but I know many none-TF people that get it and it would seem although I haven't done a head count, that most people on this base (Shilo) have it.  It is my understanding we are sharing the new design with the air force so that there is one standard between the two elements as well.  Since I don't work at supply I don't know what the deal is.  Perhaps its that they don't have any old stuff to issue out anymore so everyone that needs it gets the new stuff regardless.

I haven't seen what kit you have but..maybe the AF handed over a bunch of their CADPAT raingear to the Army until the CTS project gets the new CCR pumped out.

I know a little over a year ago, the platoons were getting it at CFLRS...I saw a whole friggin crse of BMQs go marching by with it on.  Not the ICE combat jacket either, this was the AF issue CADPAT rain jacket.

If your jackets have the drop-seat style rear, the extended piece like a cycling jacket has, then it is not the original AF issued kit.  (I've seen a few of the original issued AF jackets; they had the rank 'slip-ons' on epilauets on the shoulders...weird looking now)

I can confirm for a fact that the AF issue rain gear is issue at CFLRS...Don't ask my thoughts on that I ranted enough last year LOL

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
Also the AF jacket's (original) don't have the pit vents.

From the CTS site:

Additional design features that were added to the original  “2 in 1” jacket  to create the converged design include:  ( any of the features with a * beside them, I have on my AF issued CADPAT rainjacket)

-Elongating the back to cover buttocks
-Vents incorporated into the front and back yokes with the addition of fastener tape to conceal the reflective tabs when not in use *
-Waist and hem drawcords for a more custom fit and wind protection *
-Under arm vents with waterproof zippers
-The addition of sleeve pockets for note pads and a PRR (Personal Role Radio) with access inside of the pocket for the ear piece cable
-Cuffs with adjustable tape fastener tabs *
-Inner storm pockets for notepads, pens
-Neck protector flap
-Front storm flap for wind protection *
-Retainer straps inside the cargo pockets to secure ear defenders; gloves *
-Reinforced elbows with a durable high tenacity nylon material backed with a polyurethane coating   
-Bottom hem pull cord secured to a front tab to prevent jacket from billowing when parachuting
-Removable hood *
-Fastener tape for a name tag and a rank tab
Covered side zipped vents with 2 way zippers *

And for the pants...

-Covered side zipped vents with a gusset for easier donning and doffing over Footwear
-Adjustable compression tabs at the ankle for a more custom fit for wind and rain protection
-Reinforced knees constructed with a durable high tenacity nylon material backed with a polyurethane coating   
-Reflective tabs are concealed with fastener tape under the knee area
-zipped pass-through pocket openings on the front of the trousers

BulletMagnet said:
I can confirm for a fact that the AF issue rain gear is issue at CFLRS...Don't ask my thoughts on that I ranted enough last year LOL

Don't worry, the non AF types that have the AF rain gear at CFLRS get it taken away from them. Yes they are bewildered when it happens (I sure was).  Why are people getting it in Shilo? I don't know, but it happens. Could be kit was shipped to the wrong place. Could be there was no kit left in the green style. Who know, mysterious things happen in the land of supply. Sometimes things happen for good, sometimes for the worse. I think there are some posts earlier on in this thread that will shed light on this situation.

Eye In The Sky said:
-The addition of sleeve pockets for note pads and a PRR (Personal Role Radio) with access inside of the pocket for the ear piece cable

The only complaint I have with the jacket so far.

They are too small for the PRR or any FMP and are at a 90 degree angle....extremely hard to get anything in or out of them if your wearing plates.

Could also use some sort of marker/ pen holder on the outside for commanders.

Regards

I first one had all the gortex tape that covers the seam come up on all the edges of every piece of tape on the jacket.  Bad clue I am guessing.  And that was with bare minimum use.  Had that one issued as a 00010, changed to Ammo tech and had no problem exchanging it.  Perhaps its because they have no green garbage bags to issue.

BulletMagnet said:

Material – The rainsuit is made from 100 % Nylon material laminated to a Water, Moisture Vapour Permeable (WMVP) membrane that is incorporated with anti static properties. The jacket is lined with a 100% polyester mesh material.

Its not trademarked Gortex, per say.

I have yet to find any of the CF improvements to Rain Gear to be of any use to the Cbt Arms, unless they are standing around in the rain with their thumbs up their ______.  Anyone who has done any work in a Rain Suit, soon discards it, as you might as well be working in a Sauna, as in the rain. 

For AFV Drivers, a good Rubberized Rain Suit was always good for keeping the mud and dust off while driving hatches up, but keep the sweat in when doing heavy track maint. 

So I find it amusing to read all these posts by Kit Sluts looking for the latest in Gucci Kit.  How long before yet another Rain Suit comes out that is the "Cat's Ass" and everyone will be crying for it?

Good point George
I only use my rainsuit (od style) to shuffle from the car to the office to the car & to home....
Hmm... come to think of it, I found the rainsuit jackets handy to keep me warm wet VS cold wet while on my 6B in Gagetown.... but that's another story I guess ;)

Eye In The Sky said:
Material – The rainsuit is made from 100 % Nylon material laminated to a Water, Moisture Vapour Permeable (WMVP) membrane that is incorporated with anti static properties. The jacket is lined with a 100% polyester mesh material.

Its not trademarked Gortex, per say.

The material used for the waterproof/breathable 'Moisture Vapour Permeable' (MVP) layer/membrane for both the Air Force Rainsuit (jacket & trousers) and the 'Converged Rainsuit (jacket & trousers) is not Gore-Tex, or any sort of 'generic' PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene), but rather is a porous polyurethane (PU) coating done by a company called Stedfast (www.stedfast.com). 

The pros of using a PU vs. a PTFE fabric is that PU has much higher durability in terms of POL/DEET contamination resistance (the pores being blocked/saturated) than a PTFE fabric.  The cons of using a PU vs. a PTFE fabric is that PU's breathability (ability to pass moisture vapour) is significantly lower than PTFE, meaning you're more likely to get wet/clammy from a buildup of perspiration condenstation when wearing a PU garment.  Also, PU fabrics tend to be cheaper to laminate/coat than PTFE, which the government also weighs its consideration upon.

George Wallace said:
I have yet to find any of the CF improvements to Rain Gear to be of any use to the Cbt Arms, unless they are standing around in the rain with their thumbs up their ______.  Anyone who has done any work in a Rain Suit, soon discards it, as you might as well be working in a Sauna, as in the rain. 

For AFV Drivers, a good Rubberized Rain Suit was always good for keeping the mud and dust off while driving hatches up, but keep the sweat in when doing heavy track maint. 

So I find it amusing to read all these posts by Kit Sluts looking for the latest in Gucci Kit.  How long before yet another Rain Suit comes out that is the "Cat's ***" and everyone will be crying for it?

Those points are valid about doing maint and hatches up George but...there are also times when a good rainsuit is worth its weight in gold. On sentry (especially late fall/early spring), on the ranges, after the OP is established and you are into 'routine', etc, to name a few.  I know I used to use my old American pattern one with the combat jacket liner in it ALOT.  Its a nice option when the combat jacket is too heavy as well, to throw a fleece on or LWTU shirt with the jacket over it.  There are the obvious times that ended up with you soaked in your own sweat, much like you will with the new stuff as well.

Like all raingear, or any gear, cold weather gear included, there are times when it is useful and times when it isn't.  I can think of more than a few times I would have loved to have the stuff I have now, but I can't comment on the usefulness of this kit to the army folks.

There are the obvious times that ended up with you soaked in your own sweat, much like you will with the new stuff as well.
Precisely.... warm wet VS cold wet  :warstory:

EITS, mine had the pit-zips, and that is how I ran it for the most part.  I agree with George, that there are times where even something like a simple poncho to keep mass-wet off is great (pretty much like a 2-in-1 with the pit zips fully open, vice something confining, no matter how "breathable."

Cheers,
G2G

It's great that we've finally got it, but it's too bad that it weighs a ton and takes up more space in a ruck than 3 liners of link. I've got triple layer civvy Gore-tex gear that is less than 1/2 the weight and bulk and still does a great job keeping me dry. I guess I'll be hanging onto that stealth suit after all...

Now we get to hear how crappy this stuff is that everyone has been so anxious to get.
It a far cry from the nylon rain gear of the 70's/80's andit does the job. Sorry to hear is so bulky and non breathable.
I like it. It makes a good intermediate jacket. Its a great rain jacket (for my uses) and it looks very professional. 

Eye In The Sky said:

Still some how it's okay for me to handle JP stuff with my old jacket... nice tan I tell you.  ;D

CEMS Site Reference Site

Q14:    Who is entitled to receive CEMS articles of clothing?

A14:    The CEMS project will provide operational clothing to all regular and reserve personnel wearing the Air Force Distinctive Environmental Uniform (DEU) throughout the CF. CEMS will also provide clothing to the Army and Navy personnel serving at Air Force Wings. Personnel who have already received a given article of clothing will only be entitled to a second issue if authorised under the applicable Scale of Issue (D01-317 i.e. Flight line personnel).

So I work for a Wing, but I"m Army. So I"m guessing it now okay for me to get this rain jacket? Does it sound right before I make the "BIG STEP" at supply?

Back