• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada May Send More Troops to Afghanistan- David Emerson 26/July/08

Bruce Monkhouse

Pinball Dude
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
http://www.thestar.com/News/World/article/467896

KANDAHAR–Canada may expand its troop commitment in Afghanistan by almost 10 per cent in order to service the helicopters about to be deployed to the region, Foreign Affairs Minister David Emerson indicated Saturday.

Emerson told a news conference that while major troop additions are expected from other NATO countries, Canada will also be making a smaller contribution.
He appeared to be referring to the helicopters and unmanned aerial drones Canada expects to have in place by February.

Government officials have pointed out that the aircraft will require pilots, mechanics, ground- and air-traffic support. But until now they have not put a number on the additional staff requirements.
Emerson made the remarks at a Kabul press conference at the end of a two-day trip to Afghanistan – his first visit since becoming foreign minister earlier this year.

He was asked whether Canada would send more soldiers to Kandahar. He replied that there could see its force expand by 200 members – an eight-per-cent increase from current numbers.
"Canada has had 2500 troops here in Afghanistan," Emerson replied.
"That number could expand to 2700 as we put more equipment here in theatre. So we're really talking about a significant increase in contribution from other countries and that contribution is forthcoming."

Canada's currently has limited air capability in Afghanistan and, with no helicopters of its own, frequently relies on lifts from its allies. Emerson himself hitched a ride with a British helicopter crew to tour the site of a Canadian reconstruction project during his two-day visit.
With Kandahar's roads infested by bombs and with insurgents frequently pounded ground convoys with rockets, the recent Manley panel recommended new helicopters as a means of travel.

The Canadian Forces now expect to have six Chinook helicopters as well as unmanned aerial vehicles in the skies within six months.
Emerson's first trip to Afghanistan was different from those by his predecessor.
He did not hand out cupcakes, did not cause a diplomatic incident, and did not falsely declare that insurgent attacks were down – which Maxime Bernier did during his two trips here.

He became foreign minister following Bernier's ouster from cabinet this spring, after one final gaffe in which he forgot his Afghan briefing documents at his girlfriend's house.
During his two-day tour, Emerson said he's been struck by the magnitude of the challenges in Afghanistan.
He suggested the Taliban threat could last for years and that the country's biggest problems will not be solved by the time Canada ends its current combat mission in 2011.

"The insurgency is not going to be amenable to a short-term fix," Emerson told a Kandahar news conference Friday.
"The Taliban is not going to go away in my opinion – not in the near term. . .
"It will be something that will have to be managed with great care, and vigour, for a long time to come."

He described the daunting task of co-ordinating efforts between four Canadian government departments, between military and civilian staff, and between Afghanistan and its neighbours.
The emerging 3-D approach to foreign interventions – combining defence, development, and diplomacy – has thrust together a diverse group of Canadians in one unprecedented project.

They include diplomats from Foreign Affairs, aid workers at the Canadian International Development Agency, soldiers and engineers from the Canadian Forces, agents from Correctional Service Canada, and police trainers from the RCMP and other forces.
"I've been struck by the magnitude of the managerial challenge," Emerson said.
"But nevertheless I found it to be very satisfying in the sense that I think we've come a long way."

Emerson concluded his visit with a trip to the Afghan capital Saturday.
He said he leaves the country feeling optimistic that Canadian efforts will bring progress, as personnel will soon have clear development goals to be set out over the coming month.
After a series of delays the government will finally publish its long-awaited benchmarks for the country over the next three to five weeks, he said.

They will set out a series of statistical objectives Canada hopes to reach by 2011 in areas like education, training for Afghan forces, and development initiatives.
The most expensive of Canada's construction projects will be the $50 million refurbishment of a dam that would irrigate land for thousands of farmers in the restive rural areas north of Kandahar city.
Emerson arrived by helicopter for a tour of the Dahla dam site Friday, before holding a four-hour meeting with Canadian personnel ranging from the ambassador to top military and civilian officials.
He cited the dam as one source of optimism.
He said he was inspired by the lushness of the land next to the Arghandab river, and by the farming potential for the surrounding region once the dam is repaired.

Emerson also said he was heartened that the dam appeared to be in better shape than he previously believed, and expressed confidence that insurgent attacks can be staved off during the construction.
A similar project to build a power-generating dam in neighbouring Helmand province has prompted vicious gun battles between the insurgents and British troops.
"That was a breathtaking experience," Emerson said after touring the dam.
"I came away feeling that it's an eminently doable project and I think we can get it done in a reasonable way."
Such optimism aside, the foreign minister laid out some of the challenges Canada faces.

Insurgent attacks have risen drastically every year and are up again this year; the Taliban are burning down schools as fast as the international community can build them; and security concerns have forced a number of Kandahar businesses to close.
Emerson avoided citing any of those grim stats, and simply described the increasing violence as part of a cyclical ebb-and-flow.
But he offered a more sober assessment than the one Bernier provided during his visit here last fall, when he defied all empirical evidence by declaring Taliban attacks were down.

"We have a very acute sense of realism as to what can be accomplished by Canada in the next few years – culminating in 2011," Emerson said.
"We've committed, with the Liberal party, to have our troops, our initiative, end here in 2011. . .
"Will the job be completely done for the whole country by 2011? Clearly not."

Can AF sustain that commitment, given that it also has to sustain a number of positions the Army cannot fill? Last I heard they were straining to fill those billets...

Then again, I'm just a lowly staff Captain asking sustainability questions in the world of politics and image.

I like Emerson. He has a track record of competency in everything he does, and he seems like a straight-shooting kind of guy.

Dare I say we need more politicians like him? Unfortunately, he will always have a black cloud hanging over him because of that whole floor-crossing thing.

Allen said:
Dare I say we need more politicians like him? Unfortunately, he will always have a black cloud hanging over him because of that whole floor-crossing thing.

Only to the liberals.....

Hoping to be 1 guy in that percentage.  Med test delays...I estimate by end of September (my 33nd birthday also...) I can be on a plane.  I have 15 civi skydive jumps (latest from 7000ft) - now how do I talk em into the para course? ... hehe

North Star said:
Can AF sustain that commitment, given that it also has to sustain a number of positions the Army cannot fill? Last I heard they were straining to fill those billets...

Then again, I'm just a lowly staff Captain asking sustainability questions in the world of politics and image.

I'd think that many of the trades being deployed to sustain this added element would be different from the ones already being used. Worst case, the operational squadrons at home end up feeling the same manpower pressure the batallions at home face.

Brihard said:
I'd think that many of the trades being deployed to sustain this added element would be different from the ones already being used.

Indeed this will add many new trades to what is already deployed but others (already in theatre) will see an increase in the numbers of people being deployed.

Brihard said:
Worst case, the operational squadrons at home end up feeling the same manpower pressure the batallions at home face.

They already do , and have been so since FRP gutted the AF.

I can't speak for the pressures that battalions at home face when they have folks deployed... but for us it's expected that we will carry out business as usual for the most part.  We're getting pretty light on quals and experience in the Aurora fleet and it's only going to get worse.  Pulling too many folks from the squadron has an immediate and drastic impact on the tempo that we're capable of supporting here at home.

There's no quick fix for it, we'll just keep doing the best we can.  Same story everywhere I guess.

An increase to Canada's troop commitment in Afghanistan to 2,700 would represent the additional boots on the ground needed to run aerial drones and six Chinook helicopters, said Defence Minister Peter MacKay.
Foreign Affairs Minister David Emerson was in Afghanistan on the weekend for his first visit since taking on the portfolio.
While there, he said Canada may boost its numbers in the south by 200 "as more equipment arrives," appearing to link the troops to a new squadron of helicopters and unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) expected to be in place early next year.
MacKay, speaking to CTV's Canada AM on Monday, confirmed the link, saying the extra troops would be part of the increases needed to meet the recommendations of the Manley report on Afghanistan which was endorsed by Parliament.

More at link

Back