• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's tanks

30/70 Baby!

A Reg F squadron in Edmonton and a ResF squadron in each of Edmonton and Calgary. Tanks and maintainers in Wainwright. Same again with a RegF squadron and maintainers in Shilo with a ResF squadron in each of Winnipeg and Moose Jaw. A ResF squadron (less maintainers) for a Type 44 regiment would be less than 60 folks. That's two bus loads.

SP artillery. Same deal but more people - say 120 per battery less maintainers who are all RegF and concentrated in the regt'l HQ and located with the equipment. Same locations.

If you go with a flyover brigade's equipment prepositioned in Latvia for major annual exercises you can add in Toronto and Montreal with roughly ten CC330 lifts.

There are many ways to do this - economically - once the will is there.

🍻
You know me, I prefer 70 : 30s and full reserve units. I’d see each armoured regiment with a reserve tank squadron then a full reserve tank regiment.

You know me, I prefer 70 : 30s and full reserve units. I’d see each armoured regiment with a reserve tank squadron then a full reserve tank regiment.
Me too. But I think that the only way we can get to full ARes units (a la ARNG) is to run them through a 30/70 structure for maybe 5 to 7 years to build the capability. In my view heavy units and esoteric (read div) logistics units can safely be 30/70 units while quick reaction units for peacetime missions and unit maintainers should be 100/0 or 70/30.

🍻

Me too. But I think that the only way we can get to full ARes units (a la ARNG) is to make sure they have great leadership and even better direction and support from higher run them through a 30/70 structure for maybe 5 to 7 years to build the capability. In my view heavy units and esoteric (read div) logistics units can safely be 30/70 units while quick reaction units for peacetime missions and unit maintainers should be 100/0 or 70/30.

🍻

There, FTFY ;)

Hence the Japanese tanks and the New Zealand going for the CRVT
Japanese MBTs are are very interesting in that they are incredibly light, coming in between 40-48 tonnes dependent. Consider the Booker MPF around the same weight. This allows them to use infrastructure very few other tanks other than light tanks can actually travel around Japan. An Abrams would go straight through most Japanese bridges required for navigating the more mountainous sections of Japan, so would Chinese Type 99s.

They also tend to employ adjustable hydro pneumatic active suspensions which are very rare in MBTs, allowing them to compensate for the poor fire positions offered in heavily hilled/mountainous terrain by jacking the suspension in certain directions, similar to the Strv 103 from Sweden. If AFVs have active suspensions these days it's mostly to assist in stabilization and braking, not for adjusting to inadequate or severe fire positions.

Anywho, TLDR is Japanese tanks are unique and cool, operating in mountainous terrain most modern MBTs could never dream of.

Some money to help keep some of the tanks running until 2035:

Note this is not stated to be upgrade or improvement funding.
No but it is a huge deal. One of the major issues is that the preventative maintenance inspection schedule for the Leo 2 is much more intensive than what it was for the Leo 1. Supporting that inspection schedule interfered with the ability to do normal maintenance. Having this in place frees up resources on the CAF side

this is true but with the right Infantry/Armor/Arty and Engr cooperation tanks can be a benefit.

Now if we could get those pesky Signallers on board.... ;)
100% it always helps to bring a 120mm or 20 to a firefight haha. Just takes good coordination and extensive route recces and road surveys/clearances by chimos to ensure the tank doesn't plummet to it's doom haha.

100% it always helps to bring a 120mm or 20 to a firefight haha. Just takes good coordination and extensive route recces and road surveys/clearances by chimos to ensure the tank doesn't plummet to it's doom haha.
While I applaud this move it does appear to lock us in for the time being.

Once again we stay stuck with the concept that we have one squadron that is combat capable - the A6M; a second squadron near combat capable the A4M and several squadrons of training tanks - the A4s.

We put ourselves into this battle group rut in 2006 rather than design a brigade with a full tank regiment and it appears we may stay that way unless there is either a purchase or major upgrade . . . or we get used to using the A4s as a combat tank like many other nations do.

Honestly, I think its time to give up 3 PPCLI and use the PYs to form a fully manned and equipped 1 CMBG with three combined arms battalions (with a total of four or five tank sqns and five or four mech infantry coys), a proper SP artillery regiment and a proper heavy brigade armoured engineer squadron and service battalion.

I know, I know, that runs counter to the whole army's managed readiness system but . . .

:unsure:

Once again we stay stuck with the concept that we have one squadron that is combat capable - the A6M; a second squadron near combat capable the A4M and several squadrons of training tanks - the A4s.

We put ourselves into this battle group rut in 2006 rather than design a brigade with a full tank regiment and it appears we may stay that way unless there is either a purchase or major upgrade . . . or we get used to using the A4s as a combat tank like many other nations do.

Independent tank squadrons?

The 2A4s are essentially obsolete, hence the upgrades to 2A4M. I'm pretty certain what we have left of the 2A4s are pretty well just trainers, turret operation is very different compared to the more modern marks. At this point we should donate all our Leos and start fresh, but tanks are unfortunately in that shitty spot where they're really expensive but nowhere near as flashy as fighters or ships so they get overlooked by politicians. Maybe we can make some Bob Semples to hold us over until we put on our big boy pants and buy 300 in a single shot.

The 2A4s are essentially obsolete, hence the upgrades to 2A4M. I'm pretty certain what we have left of the 2A4s are pretty well just trainers, turret operation is very different compared to the more modern marks. At this point we should donate all our Leos and start fresh, but tanks are unfortunately in that shitty spot where they're really expensive but nowhere near as flashy as fighters or ships so they get overlooked by politicians. Maybe we can make some Bob Semples to hold us over until we put on our big boy pants and buy 300 in a single shot.
I am impressed that you know what a Bob Semple is…

There were only 4 Bob Semples ever built vs thousands of Hinds…
Don't underestimate the power of memetics, it doesn't matter how many were built, what matters is the non-credible genius of strapping corrugated metal to a tractor with 6 Brens that inspires crewmen culture to this day. It's so shitty it's famous essentially.

Back