• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Army Reading List- 11+ Years Of Suggestions and Ideas

• Thread starter Thread starter cagomez
  • Start date Start date
Danjanou, et al. I had forgotten about First Clash.

Macksey, Kenneth
FIRST CLASH, Toronto: Stoddart, 1985, 1st thus; 48 hours after the outbreak of World War Three, and the Canadian Brigade Group prepares to defend the approaches to a strategically important plateau; originally written as fiction and commissioned by the Department of National Defence, the book was first published in 1984 by the Canadian Forces Training Materiel Production Centre in Winnipeg, and describes what it would be like to be on the front in WWIII; 8vo, black cloth, 248 pgs., illustrated w/70+ photographs, 8 coloured campaign maps, and 13 diagrams; VG-F w/small black remainder dot on bottom edge, in VG dj;
$20.00
You may be able to buy a copy for $20

If I recall correctly I had a second book in this series about 4 CMBG in the offence? Anyone recall it?

Gunnar,
The second book as I recall was about offence ops but I don‘t know if it ever came out except as a training aid. I do remember seeing it in the pam library in the early 1990‘s but not in book stores (then again I never really looked).

It‘s not a bad read, especialy for newer soldiers who‘ll get an idea of what Mech operations may have been like then. Besides they won‘t get the in jokes I noted about the battle taking place practically outside the main gates of the base.
It‘s also well illustrated with plenty of maps, org charts and B&W photos(I just pulled mine off of the shelf and thumbed through it).

MacKsey BTW was a former officer in the Royal Tank Regiment and a fairly well respected popular military historian with quite a few books to his credit.

Oh well I was at the shelf I grabbed Vistory? for those interested it was written by Rufus Marlowe (former Reserve Major with 30 years in). The ISBN is 0-9696296-0-5 for those interested in grabbing it.

Danjanou,

I didn‘t place Kenneth Macksay until you mentioned he was a military historian. You are very correct in your comments about his ability as a military historian and I have read many of his books as I recently finished my Master of Arts through RMC. We (the CF) were very fortunate to have someone with his talent writing "First Clash". I am so impressed that I may even purchase a copy for my library.

Thank you very much for the information.

Gunner, I think that was the whole idea. DND wanted a training manual that didn‘t read like a cure for insomnia. Hey troops love Tom Clancy, Larry Bond etc style books right so why not a Canadian version and if it actually helps them understand Battle Procedure well great.

The jacket cover on my "civvy" copy says he spent a lot of time with 4CMBG to get all the details right. Hey if a remember there‘s even a sarcastic Newf Sapper or Gunnar M/Cpl as one of the characters.

I just wish there had been more. I‘d love to have read a "training novel" on Arctic ops or Counter Insurgency etc. Hey maybe Dorosh or I could get a contract with Disney on the Rideau?

Macksey wrote a lot of those old Ballantyne Battle Books, in the late 1960‘s early 1970‘s I don‘t know if you remember. They cost about a dollar and it started with WWII and then expanded to cover the whole century. There were books on weapons, battles, campaigns, and leaders all colour coded. I think I spent half my allowance back then on them, and still have about 40-50.

Yes,

One of the things I liked about First Clash was it presented characters from various ranks and trades thinking about what they were doing and what there jobs were.

Rick Mercier came to visit Bosnia when I was there. It was after the CANCON Christmas show came through and we asked him if he was interested in coming next year. He said he had never heard of the CF looking for Canadian artists to entertain the troops overseas (ala USO shows). This Hour has 22 Minutes approach DND (not the other way round) and wanted to do something special, and he came over and showcased the CF. Investing some money in a good idea or simply using some initiative within the CF can and does have some excellent results.

I remember the Ballantyne books but I was pretty young when they came out. I think I started reading them in the late 70s. That is if they are the ones I‘m thinking of (black covers - paperback but funny size). I particularly remember the one on Kursk and US operations in the pacific (Guadacanal??). I think my Dad had one from Vietnam as well...not sure. You are going back a couple of years but IIRC they were a good read.

What books would any of you reccommend (sp?) for infantry and general battle tactics? Need a good introduction.

List of US Army field manuals:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/index.html

A bunch of the manuals discuss tactics.

Are you looking for historical or current references? At what level?: small unit (section/platoon), combat team (company/squadron), battle group (battalions/regiments) or higher?

CrazyCanuck, thanks for the tip.

Michael, I guess I want to know modern tactics. Historical stuff I can pick up later.

So I think the best way for me to learn this is to start small, with a platoon and then read my way up, so to speak.

So any platoon and section books/articles you know of please let me know.

Also combat team, and battle group tactic books if you know any, but I will read those only after.

Originally posted by Pieman:
[qb] CrazyCanuck, thanks for the tip.

Michael, I guess I want to know modern tactics. Historical stuff I can pick up later.

So I think the best way for me to learn this is to start small, with a platoon and then read my way up, so to speak.

So any platoon and section books/articles you know of please let me know.

Also combat team, and battle group tactic books if you know any, but I will read those only after. [/qb]
First and for most you should be concerned with is our Battle Doctrine and Tactic‘s.

Wait till you go on course because everything you have read goes out the window once you are on course.

I‘d recommend you start small. Learn Section Tactics. They are the building block to all higher levels. If you don‘t learn Section Tactics, you will never understand Platoon Tactics. Then you will never understand Mech Platoon Tactics or Tank Troop tactics or anything higher.

Once you understand Section Tactics, everything is just on a grander scale, with the exception of Armd Recce Tactics, which have a few more twists thrown in.

Remember....."Always keep one foot on the ground" and you won‘t go wrong.

GW :soldier:

Does the Canadian Army have Field Manuals like the Americans?

You‘ll find the available on-line manuals here in the Army Electronic Library.

"Section and Platoon in Battle," which you should probably start with, does not appear there at this time, it is currently being rewritten at the Infantry School.

You‘ll find the available on-line manuals here in the Army Electronic Library.
Thank you very much for this link, sir.

I can look to the online to supplement my notes from my BMQ/SQ, since we were not issued any manuals, and only a few handouts. :salute:

I am looking to read more into Canada‘s military history and posted this to see what you guys would recommend. Doesn‘t matter what conflict, but preferably early to mid 20th century.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Patrick H.:
[qb] I am looking to read more into Canada‘s military history and posted this to see what you guys would recommend. Doesn‘t matter what conflict, but preferably early to mid 20th century.

Thanks! [/qb]
Here‘s a brief History of my old Unit 6Fd. Sqn. C.M.E.

Search the net as Danjenou stated and enjoy.

http://www.6fes.ca/cwd/frames_index.html

"Canada‘s Army - Waging War and Keeping the Peace"
by JL Granatstein is quite good to give you an overview of the forces history. keep in mind as you read he has an agenda. He wants you to arrive at the same conclusion he does by the end of the book so in parts it has a bit of editorializing in it. I just finished it today. It has a large picture section in it. Granatstein chooses some rather specific events to highlight the formation and growing pains of the Military. He concentrates largely on waging the war and less on keeping the peace. The first and second world wars are covered quite heavily decribing invidual battles and actions. The Korean War in less detail. Unification is given its due but in less detail than I would have liked. Much of the recent history is dealt with in lighter detail ie Oka or Gulf war 1 to make room for the World wars. At 428 pages it is a hefty read and in places generates more questions than it can resonably answer but it is well worth it if you need a primer to further, more detailed reading.

Back