• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Federal Election 2004 - Info & Stuff

Which issue is most important?

• Defence/Security

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • Taxes/Economy

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Government Reform

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Health

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Education

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Law

• Trade

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Other

• Total voters

McG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Here is an interesting summary of party platforms: Election Issues

Which of those issues do you think will be most important in your decision?

[Note: Poll recreated after board switch over.  There are is only room for 8 options now, so if yours is gone you will have to post & tell us what it is]

Hmmmm, military website surprise surprise defence with 33%.

That is only 2 of 6 votes. I am a little surprised. It is still early though.

How different would this look if people could pick thier top three issues?

I didn‘t vote for Military first, but it is in my top 3rd of my list. Can someone who voted for military explain why?

I voted for Health Care because my health and the health of my family is #1.

Maybe it is a belief that the wrong equipment may mean a shorter life for some of us in the forces.

Because the helthcare system is still pretty darn good. Whereas the military....

Personaly I chose government reform because that‘s what‘ll make the biggest difference. If we can sort out and prevent all the nonsense that the liberals have been doing for the last decade, it should free up billions of dollars for healthcare, the military, and whatever other issues people actualy care about.

What sorts of government reform are people looking for? I have the platforms of the three big parties below (and to stir more debate my own thoughts below those). My source for all this has been the Globe and Mail web page.
[qb]What has come into focus in the past year is how the government does business, not only what business it does. Ethics, accountability and democratic reform have become key platform planks. Also on the debate is the role of MPs, a possibility of an elected Senate and a Parliament based on proportional representation. Also, the role of Ottawa as either a decentralized federal republic or a power-wielding force.[/qb]
Liberal:
[qb]
  • Introduces action plan on democratic reform that will empower Members of Parliament, giving MPs an enhanced role in Parliament, as well as Parliamentary Committees and Parliamentary Secretaries.
  • Establishing an independent ethics commissioner who reports directly to the Commons and an Ethics Officer for the Senate will ensure government accountability.
  • Launching an ongoing process of expenditure review overseen by a parliamentary committee to make certain programs are doing what they were intended to do so that every tax dollar is invested with care to achieve results for Canadians.
  • New selection procedure for Crown heads
  • Tabled whistleblowers protection bill
  • Comptroller office established to oversee spending
[/qb]
Conservatives:
[qb]
  • Government involvement in the lives of Canadians should only occur when there is a clear and compelling reason to do so.
  • Will create an independent Ethics Commissioner appointed by the House of Commons.
  • Will restore democratic accountability in the House of Commons by allowing free votes. Votes on matters of conscience and deep personal conviction will be free votes. A Conservative government will treat no vote in the House, except for the budget and main estimates, as a matter of confidence unless expressly declared so in a motion.
  • Will support the election of senators. Believes in an equal Senate to address the uneven distribution of Canada‘s population and to provide a balance to safeguard regional interests.
  • Will consider electoral reforms, including proportional representation, fixed election dates, and the single transferable ballot.
  • Support the use of referendums to approve constitutional amendments and for issues of transcending national importance.
  • Will legislate whistleblower protection to ensure those who expose corruption and wrongdoing are protected.
  • Will allow the Auditor General to table reports with the Clerk of the House of Commons when Parliament is not sitting.
  • Will provide the Auditor General with full access to all federal
    organization documents to ensure transparency and accuracy of the government‘s finances.
  • Will conduct social audit, under the existing office of the Auditor General to help Canadians and their governments determine how well their social programs are working.
  • Will make the Chief Actuary of Canada an independent officer of Parliament.
  • Will eliminate programs and policies that waste money, such as the gun registry, Human Resources Development Canada grants, and the Sponsorship program.
[/qb]
NDP:
[qb]
  • Increasing the cooling off period for any elected official or government employee going into lobbying for a period of five years; and implementing a two-year cooling off period for lobbyists entering public life.
  • Creating an independent ethics commissioner, selected by and reporting to Parliament
  • Modernize our voting system by adopting a tried-and-true system that every democracy except two uses in some way: proportional representation.
  • To use all available influence to achieving structural change through asking citizens if Canada should change our voting system for good - through a referendum on proportional representation.
  • NDP MP introduced a private member‘s bill calling for fixed election date every four years to prevent governments from manipulating the timing of an election to suit their political purposes.
  • Fighting for parliamentary and electoral reforms to introduce a measure of proportional representation into the Canadian electoral process, abolish the Senate, and make sure the funding of party leadership campaigns is subject to full disclosure.
  • Believe the House of Commons, not just the Prime Minister, has the authority to ratify international agreements and decisions to send military personnel abroad.
[/qb]
Me
[qb]
  • create an independent Ethics Commissioner appointed by the House of Commons.
  • restore democratic accountability in the House of Commons by allowing free votes. Votes on matters of conscience and deep personal conviction will be free votes.
  • Empower Members of Parliament, giving MPs an enhanced role in Parliament, as well as Parliamentary Committees.
  • support the election of senators including proportional representation in the Senate. Believe in an equal Senate to address the uneven distribution of Canada‘s population and to provide a balance to safeguard regional interests.
  • Require Senate approval for any use of the Charter's notwithstanding clause even by provincial legislatures
  • not implement proportional representation in the House of Commons or fixed election dates.
  • Ensure the funding of party leadership campaigns is subject to full disclosure.
  • Believe the House of Commons, not just the Prime Minister, has the authority to ratify international agreements.
  • Support the use of referendums to approve constitutional amendments and for issues of transcending national importance.
  • legislate whistleblower protection to ensure those who expose corruption and wrongdoing are protected.
  • provide the Auditor General with full access to all federal organization documents to ensure transparency and accuracy of the government‘s finances.
  • conduct social audit, under the existing office of the Auditor General to help Canadians and their governments determine how well their social programs are working.
  • eliminate programs and policies that waste money, such as Human Resources Development Canada grants, and the Sponsorship program.
[/qb]

The only gov‘t reform that I think may be needed is the accountability of Senior Mgmt for the different Depts/Agencies. Or to hold the MP‘s responsible for spending of the Depts/Agencies that they are responsible for. A good example would be the cost over runs at the CFAC (Cdn Firearms Ctr). As technology is progesing, they are starting to automate alot of the client care needs, ie. filing your taxes on-line.

Do you think it‘s the Gov‘t fault that Health Care is back not creditable, or do you think the Unions and the benefits for their members that are causing the problems?

If politicians (or any other public figure for that matter) are found guilty, they should face a public stoning.

Can anyone explain to me exactly this means? I think I have an Idea, but I want to be sure. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Its from the conservative party section of this debate.

"Will restore democratic accountability in the House of Commons by allowing free votes. Votes on matters of conscience and deep personal conviction will be free votes. A Conservative government will treat no vote in the House, except for the budget and main estimates, as a matter of confidence unless expressly declared so in a motion."

A free vote is one where the MP‘s are free to vote as they wish, and they don‘t have to stick with the party.

As it stands now, if the governing party introduces a bill but loses in voting, its considered a vote of non-confidence. The Prime Minister is supposed to call an election. Obviously no governing party wants this, so all members of the party generally vote with the party (if they want to remain part of the party for very long). With a free vote, MP‘s can vote as they wish, with no such requirement.

The Defence Platforms (As shown by Globe & Mail)

The military has been stretched as its equipment ages and its troops overextended in foreign deployments. After Sept. 11, the government has restored some funding to the Canadian Forces. How much capacity will the Forces have in order to fulfill Canada‘s commitments.
Liberal
  • Ensuring safety and security, both at home and abroad, is also essential in today‘s world. After all, maintaining peace and preventing violent conflict have always been the Canadian way.
  • We will ensure the Canadian Forces have the necessary personnel and equipment, including investments in key capital equipment such as new armoured vehicles and the replacement of the Sea King helicopters.
  • Will develop Canada‘s first-ever national security policy. It will establish the guidelines that will shape our government‘s actions, and will serve as a blueprint - both for securing Canada, and in preserving and strengthening the open nature of our society.
  • Will develop Canada‘s first-ever national security policy. It will establish the guidelines that will shape our government‘s actions, and will serve as a blueprint - both for securing Canada, and in preserving and strengthening the open nature of our society.
  • Must also strengthen North American security

Conservative
  • Will ensure better co-operation among Canada‘s intelligence and security agencies to more effectively protect Canadians against internal and external security and economic threats in a changing and unstable global environment. Canada must not be a safe haven for international terrorist operatives.
  • North American Aerospace Defence Command (NORAD) should be given command responsibility of system for defending against ballistic missiles.
  • We support Canadian participation with the United States in exploring and establishing a North American Missile Defence system.
  • Will increase defence funding by an additional $1.2 billion a year, adding to 2003 federal budget increases.
  • Support purchase of maritime helicopters for military.
  • Initiate project to replace C-130 (Hercules) transport aircraft, acquire at least three new operational support ships, and replace the navy‘s four Iroquois class destroyers with new destroyers.
  • We will increase regular military force to 80,000, increase Reserves to 60,000 personnel, of which 45,000 would be army reserves, and increase naval personnel and funding for naval training and operations.
  • Believe Parliament must be allowed to debate and approve overseas deployments of Canadian troops to combat missions.
  • Will create Veteran‘s Bill of Rights to ensure disputes concerning veterans are handled fairly.
  • Ensure veterans receive their benefits and health care on time, and conduct review of Veterans‘ hospital to make sure their needs are being met.
  • Will work towards improved cooperation among intelligence and security agencies. Will establish national intelligence agency to coordinate existing intelligence from all sources to provide Prime Minister, senior ministers and officials with information and assessments.
  • Will establish Perimeter Security Agency by uniting Customs Agency, revitalized Coast Guard, Ports Police and Air Transport Security Agency to effectively share information with North American associates.

NDP
  • The NDP demanded that living conditions for service personnel be improved and helped to secure increases in funding.
  • Canada and its defence forces should be a leader in international peacekeeping.
  • Additional resources should be devoted to peacekeeping and to salaries, benefits, housing and living conditions for armed services personnel, and for educational and health care services for military families
  • Believe the House of Commons, not just the Prime Minister, has the authority to ratify international agreements and decisions to send military personnel abroad.

Bloc Quebecois
  • Opposing all military intervention that contravenes international rights, like, for example, for the war in Iraq.
  • Opposing Canada‘s participation in the anti-missile defence shield and campaigning in favour of an international treaty forbidding the militarization of space.
  • Proposing maintaining peace-keeping missions as the primary role of Canadian military forces.

I voted for Gov. Reform.
Why?
I‘m sick and tired of being lied to and robbed in the same breath! :mad:

Those who we pay to govern must be more accountable and responsible to US the EMPLOYER. :salute:

We need definite Laws to prosecute our MP‘s if they lie,cheat etc.

Also election laws must be reviewed.
Why?
When a candidate makes a promise and gets elected they keep it or else. :soldier:

I would rather live in Mexico or the Philippines as with there Gov.‘s you know what to expect.

To be honest I no longer have any faith in our system not just because of Adscam but because when elected thay all follow the party line and not our wish‘s!!! :mad:

Government Reform, Defence and Immigration are my three main issues, and I voted for immigration. It just seems like it‘s been an issue for a while, with people of questionable character, intent and backgrounds being able to gain entrance into this country.

As far as defence is concerned, Conservative seems to be the way to go.

Those who we pay to govern must be more accountable and responsible to US the EMPLOYER.
Regarding this, shouldn‘t we be able to fire/impeach those we elect if they do not come through on a large portion of their platform? I live in Ontario, so all this crap that Mr. McGuinty has pulled is really aggrivating (I voted NDP both times). Can‘t we pull a Donald Trump on him?

A good book to read is "Tax Me, I‘m Canadian" by Mark Milke.

He is from the Canadian Taxpayer Federation, an organization I find shares alot of my views.

I also like it because it is non-partisan, and unlike supporting a political party, priorities don‘t change because they won‘t get to the trough; they are equally critical of any poor policies that cost guys like you and me.

Check it out at www.taxpayer.com

:cdn:
Jonsey said:
As far as defence is concerned, Conservative seems to be the way to go.
Generally I would have to agree.   You could copy the Conservative & Liberal platforms into a single check list that most service personnel would love to see completed.   I would not object to the QOL issues that the NDP talks of, but they sit far back on the list of priorities (operational readiness & capability must be first).

My top three were economy, defence, government reform (in that order).     I think the economy is doing well now but that growth, future economic insurances debt elimination should not be forgotten.   I also think that provincial economic health is as relevant as federal.   I'm not in a hurry to get a tax cut (wow, never thought I'd hear anyone, let alone myself, say that), but I would not object to a tax cut.   I have noticed that many of the issues being looked at are primarily provincial:
  • Culture
  • Education
  • Health
  • Family
  • Cities
  • 'the land'

Instead of tax-cut promises, what I would like to see is for the all the money available to cut taxes be used instead to boost transfer payments.   This will allow provinces the choice to do more or cut their taxes, and this would ensure that the strength of the federal economy is shared by the provinces.

Well, it seems everyone is proposing tax cuts, but the conservatives do talk of increased transfer payments.  Why can't we get both?  Personally, I like the Conservatives defence plan.  Hopefully, one of the requirements given to the new boats will be that they can travel icy waters.

I've notice that Liberals say that the Conservative defence plan will lead to debt, while the Conservatives say that Liberal health & social initiatives will lead to debt.  Would any platform be acceptable if its party were openly admitting that it would come with a deficit?  I think, defiantly maybe.

8) Yard Ape

I would prefer the federal government to remove itself completely from funding anything which is a provincial responsibility.  Reduce federal taxes accordingly, and tell the provinces to fill their boots.

Liberal defence platform:
Increase the Canadian Forces by 5,000 personnel, creating a new brigade and greatly enhancing Canada's capacity for peace support. This will boost significantly our ability to participate in multilateral operations that are consistent with our interests and values. It will enable our military to assume a bigger role in bringing peace, security and democracy to troubled nations.

I am all for a fourth CMBG.  We need it just to meet our current commitments and Op tempo.

Back