• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Care Packages

BIGOS

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm just a civilian, while I don't claim to understand the conflict, I'm not trying to judge it from the limited bits of information we receive back home. I also, don't want to be seen as arrogant or ignorant of our service personnel.

While the majority of the deployed force is about to be withdrawn from Afghanistan in the upcoming year, I thought of sending a Christmas care package for our troops currently serving in-country. Would this be of any service to anyone, or would it be unnecessary?

Now, I'm completely novice about this and I mainly got the idea after watching 'Generation Kill', the Marines complaining about the lack of proper equipment and goods being provided. So I thought that perhaps it would be the least I could do, to send a package of goods to our boys and girls serving. I don't have a whole load of money, I'm a university student with a low paying part time job; but I thought that as I have access to goods here and I'm enjoying the freedom and safety that our troops provide, what better way to show them the spirit of christmas than to send a package of simple goods.

Now, undoubtedly I would contact the DoD about an address to send the package to, but perhaps you more experienced folk and those who have served can provide me with information on what simple and sometimes trivial goods (to us back Home) are much needed and luxurious or what unit would be best served with goods from home?

Thank you!

Is there a Military Family Resource Centre close by to you?

They will put the right address (and probably the postage) on a care package for you.

Both of my tours were at sea, so I don't really know what can and can't be purchased locally by the folks in Afghanistan.  Books and magazines are great (and a lot of libraries would probably be happy to donate some of their excess).  Chocolate melts, so hard candy is probably a better option for the sweets dept.

I am sure your generosity will be much appreciated.

I appreciate it, I'll look into seeing where the closest MFRC is. Since I live in a relatively big city, there should be one somewhere near?

Here's one list of such centres across Canada:
http://www.mfrcgagetown.nb.ca/english/aboutus/across_canada.asp

As for contents, LOTS of discussion all over Army.ca on that:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/94784.0.html
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/937.0.html
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/35935.0.html

Also keep in mind that around Christmas, there may be such a wave of packages that they end up being held here for quite a long time while higher priority goods (beans & bullets sort of "must haves") get sent first.

Good of you to keep the troops in mind - hope this helps.

JELEŃ said:
I'm just a civilian, while I don't claim to understand the conflict, I'm not trying to judge it from the limited bits of information we receive back home. I also, don't want to be seen as arrogant or ignorant of our service personnel.

While the majority of the deployed force is about to be withdrawn from Afghanistan in the upcoming year, I thought of sending a Christmas care package for our troops currently serving in-country. Would this be of any service to anyone, or would it be unnecessary?

Now, I'm completely novice about this and I mainly got the idea after watching 'Generation Kill', the Marines complaining about the lack of proper equipment and goods being provided. So I thought that perhaps it would be the least I could do, to send a package of goods to our boys and girls serving. I don't have a whole load of money, I'm a university student with a low paying part time job; but I thought that as I have access to goods here and I'm enjoying the freedom and safety that our troops provide, what better way to show them the spirit of christmas than to send a package of simple goods.

Now, undoubtedly I would contact the DoD about an address to send the package to, but perhaps you more experienced folk and those who have served can provide me with information on what simple and sometimes trivial goods (to us back Home) are much needed and luxurious or what unit would be best served with goods from home?

Thank you!

Hi,

For your information, Canada Post sends the care packages for free around Christmas. So you'd at least save the amount of the stamps ;) They usually starts this around the end of November.
It could take up to 2 months for the packages to arrive.

I've sent a lot of packages to Afghanistan to some of my friends on tour. They always appreciate it. They like salted stuff like nuts, almonds and like stated previously... chocolates melt so candies are a better option as per sweets.
I usually go to a book bazard where I can find pockets books for about .25 to .50 cents. They are used books but the soldiers there don't really care as they love to read during their free time.

Please find a link below of the address you can put on the package:
http://www.cfpsa.com/en/psp/mil/sending_e.asp

What you're doing is very nice and will be much appreciated by the soldiers receiving it  :nod:

Alea

Chocolate might melt right now but it's a good bet that it will be fine between November and February.  The daytime temperatures aren't that ridiculous then.

Chocolate wise, I think it would be safer to send Ho-Cho instead.

Now, are there brands that are preferred for tea/coffee/ho-cho?

Such as Tim Hortons, Nescafe, Folgers, Second Cup or Nestle (For Ho-Cho)?

Back