• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Issued Junk

Forlorn Hope said:
LOL....ah the Penguin and the FBV....I think I have a pic of that somewhere, I know it was in the Patrician...lol
How are you Steve?

Good thanks, hows being a black-hatter treating you? ;D I knew someone would know exactly who I was talking about. :eek:

NFLD Sapper said:
I still got a tin of the Silicon Sealer for the boots  ;D

Tin? I got a full case of it sitting in the basement!  ;D

Worst?  - ground sheet/shelter sieve
            - skull cap, wool, intollerable
            - socks, grey wool useless
            - Russell belt knife with the little "S" in a circle on the blade
            - those loony illuminated map reading magnifier dealies.

As a guy who was in and out of armoured engineer vehicles a couple hundred times a day, I loved my combat overboots.  Stuff them in under the hatch, pull them out to dismount, then kick em off again.  Really cut down the mud inside the panzer, I tell ya.  I was also the only one to take them to the field on JLC.  When the Chinook hit, I was the only one with warm dry feet out there, and Cbt boots with gumbies gives a lot more ankle support for snowshoeing, too.

Kat Stevens said:

As a guy who was in and out of armoured engineer vehicles a couple hundred times a day, I loved my combat overboots.  Stuff them in under the hatch, pull them out to dismount, then kick em off again.  Really cut down the mud inside the panzer, I tell ya.  I was also the only one to take them to the field on JLC.  When the Chinook hit, I was the only one with warm dry feet out there, and Cbt boots with gumbies gives a lot more ankle support for snowshoeing, too.

I love the gummies too. When we trained in California for our Croatia deployment, I was the only one to bring them. We had the monsoons from hell, but my feet were always dry. I've worn them in WWx during fall exercises over my desert boots; again dry feet and no mud in the tent/bedspace.

Kat,

I LIKE the greey wool socks - pert much lived in em - till they came out with the OD ones
Skull cap... you talking about the "helmet comforter?
Ground sheet?... yup, aye aye skipper... about as useful as having a real sheet on the ground
Combat boot galoshes - worked for me as well.... in wet winter conditions worked great with mukluck duffel socks.

ArmyVern (Female type) said:
Feeling a little Bridget Bardotish with a 'lil bit of Harley Davidson thrown in for good measure. Now, if only they'd allow me to wear my nice leather chaps in Paris --- I'd be all good to go.  >:D

Brigette B on a H-D??!!  What a mental picture!!  Do you mean to say that you can't wear leather chaps in Paris?  I though it was  a place where pretty much anything goes... ;D

Oik... I hope you're talking about the former "young BB" and not the current "present BB".... cause she certainly ain't in no mental picture of mine these days.

Kat Stevens said:

1. Why did the ground sheet always smell like vomit? No wonder we all bought poncho liners in Hohenfels.
2. I once frostbit my ears jumping, after that I always wore my skull cap undermy  Helmet, Parachutist's.
3. I loved the Socks Wool Grey in the 70s and 80s.  The newer ones were weak.
4. The 1944 Cdn Admiral Co map readers.  VERY GOOD piece of kit.
5. Boots Rubber Clumsy: D'accord.  Great for keeping Grafenwoehr mud out of the hull.

TCBF said:
1. Why did the ground sheet always smell like vomit? No wonder we all bought poncho liners in Hohenfels.

Spew smelling ground sheets must be a universal thing. Our DPCU ones smell the same, another same smell is the 84mm Carl G, everytime I smell that beast in the armoury, I am flashed back to fun times in Wainsworld and Sunny Dunny.

Cheers,

Wes

TCBF said:
2. I once frostbit my ears jumping, after that I always wore my skull cap undermy  Helmet, Parachutist's.
3. I loved the Socks Wool Grey in the 70s and 80s.  The newer ones were weak.
4. The 1944 Cdn Admiral Co map readers.  VERY GOOD piece of kit.
5. Boots Rubber Clumsy: D'accord.  Great for keeping Grafenwoehr mud out of the hull.

The old wool socks were just too damn hot, even in winter.  I run pretty hot at the best of times, and always had soaking feet.
To be fair to the map reader, my main beef was that I could never get one that was in good working order, ours were always tossed in a milk crate and buried under 50 000 pounds of other crap in the troop stores.

Ya, the webbing with no mag pouches. The pockets in our shirts were to be used. I remember it well. The easily breakable buckle, and all that bloody velcro!

Oh man, stop it, I'm starting to black out....

Here's another one: Helmet cover with odd, 'redneck hunter-type leaf cam' pattern on it, worn with plain green combats. What up with that?

WRT the M1 helmet.

We went form a cam-net, to VN vintage reversable covers, to one sided GI woodland, the latter two 'off the shelf' US purchases.

When I left, the M1 was still in, with the US Fritz for UN duty overseas.

All that new stuff happened post Jan 95.

Cheers,

Wes

Camnets and Scrim to cover the CADPAT, chemically treated, IR defeating Camcovers for our helmets.

Can't see the CADPAT camcover, but the scrim shows up like a beacon throught NVGDs.

Good one. And the corollary to that: the lack of proper scrim nets for helmets. We're not alone. I've never seen any army issue a proper helmet scrim cover.

You guys are just going to love the new barrack box.  Wheels, retractable pull-hanfle, shiney metal corners.  It is some sweet piece of kit, hold everything, including a rifle in the lid.  Has nice doc holder that is accessed through the inside, so no more painting and sanding......whoooo.

Oh yeah, did I mention that it is not autorized for use on aircraft.........Ummmm.

Back