• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFLRS Hell Platoon

Sands111

Reaction score
Is this a thing? Are their different platoon standards and it’s luck of the draw? For anyone who may have recently finished BMQ/BMOQ
What is your experience/knowledge on this?

While my Recruit training is quite dated, there was a thing being trialled in Cornwallis while I was there where platoons that were largely combat arms or combat support trades had things somewhat more stressful than those in high tech/thick glasses specialties - low maintenance floors/lockers and the like, decidedly less noise emanating from their shacks, less change parades, etc. Mileage varies...and like Jarnhamar says, it varies by personalities within the command team of the platoon and the company, as well as culture of what the majority of the MOSID's in the platoon are made up of. My kid went through in 2020 - largely infantry instructors and largely combat arms MOSID's (armour and infantry) in his platoon, and he found it challenging, others more so in his platoon.

My personal take is that if you don't have a point in your training where you have to take a long hard look inside yourself to get through certain iterations as things progress, you are probably being coddled - it's meant to be challenging yet attainable.

$0.02 FWIW.

While my Recruit training is quite dated, there was a thing being trialled in Cornwallis while I was there where platoons that were largely combat arms or combat support trades had things somewhat more stressful than those in high tech/thick glasses specialties - low maintenance floors/lockers and the like, decidedly less noise emanating from their shacks, less change parades, etc. Mileage varies...and like Jarnhamar says, it varies by personalities within the command team of the platoon and the company, as well as culture of what the majority of the MOSID's in the platoon are made up of. My kid went through in 2020 - largely infantry instructors and largely combat arms MOSID's (armour and infantry) in his platoon, and he found it challenging, others more so in his platoon.

My personal take is that if you don't have a point in your training where you have to take a long hard look inside yourself to get through certain iterations as things progress, you are probably being coddled - it's meant to be challenging yet attainable.

$0.02 FWIW.
Thank you. I agree that it should be challenging and attainable.
But It’s a Basic course, same course code is granted regardless of occupation, component or element. It’s the entry level course that Everybody has to achieve. It should be one standard for all. Then training can branch off into whatever expectations.
Curious about experience of others.
Thanks for your reply

But It’s a Basic course, same course code is granted regardless of occupation, component or element. It’s the entry level course that Everybody has to achieve. It should be one standard for all. Then training can branch off into whatever expectations.
Thanks for your reply
Ah but once again humans enter the chat..... Every instructor has a different style or take on things like standards of fitness, standards of quarters etc.
It is a good system run by humans - who are prone to a number of things.

Thanks for your reply
You're right, but maybe "hell platoon" got it right and the rest of the platoons were short changed? This isn't Walmart; BMQ is supposed to inculcate individuals into a culture where CAF members run towards stressful situations and thrive in them, not shy away and look for an easy route out.

Stress and demanding circumstances build resilency, and despite being upset by it now you'll likely thank your staff for the experience later on in life.

You're right, but maybe "hell platoon" got it right and the rest of the platoons were short changed? This isn't Walmart; BMQ is supposed to inculcate individuals into a culture where CAF members run towards stressful situations and thrive in them, not shy away and look for an easy route out.

Stress and demanding circumstances build resilency, and despite being upset by it now you'll likely thank your staff for the experience later on in life.
Get comfortable being uncomfortable

I'm currently doing my 2nd BMQ. My first one was as a Reg member back in 2004 (13 weeks) and today as a Reservist (5 weeks).

We currently have 2 PON running the BMQ at the same time; one franco and one half-franco half-anglo. The half/half PON looks like they're having a hard time getting their shit together and respecting the given timings. They're lacking cohesion as sections and as a whole platoon and that's why they're getting heat from their instructors.

On our platoon, section cohesion is good so far but we need to work more as a platoon as well, but our all-around cohesion is better I guess being all francos, versus the other platoon having this stupid french-english issue that's probably their main problem for the lack of unification.

BMQ is just a big theater act; just do your part and do what you're told and things will be alright in the end.

I have the chance of having 2 staff in my section that are strict but not all-yelling on recruits. During classes, this approach is way better as information and learning becomes much easier to acknowledge rather than being yelled on on the slightest mistake. And this really stands out as our section is one of the best so far in the PON.

I'm currently doing my 2nd BMQ. My first one was as a Reg member back in 2004 (13 weeks) and today as a Reservist (5 weeks).

We currently have 2 PON running the BMQ at the same time; one franco and one half-franco half-anglo. The half/half PON looks like they're having a hard time getting their shit together and respecting the given timings. They're lacking cohesion as sections and as a whole platoon and that's why they're getting heat from their instructors.

On our platoon, section cohesion is good so far but we need to work more as a platoon as well, but our all-around cohesion is better I guess being all francos, versus the other platoon having this stupid french-english issue that's probably their main problem for the lack of unification.

BMQ is just a big theater act; just do your part and do what you're told and things will be alright in the end.

I have the chance of having 2 staff in my section that are strict but not all-yelling on recruits. During classes, this approach is way better as information and learning becomes much easier to acknowledge rather than being yelled on on the slightest mistake. And this really stands out as our section is one of the best so far in the PON.

Which begs the question... why do you have to do BMQ again?

There is a time limit. Normally quals are considered valid for 5 years from release, and sometimes extensions may be granted. But the longer you've been away from the CAF, the more likely you are to have to redo BMQ.
I was under the impression they did away with the time limit on BMQs.

Back