• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFMG and SQ courses

Zombie

Reaction score
Do MED Techs take the SQ course after BMQ? I've come across information that says they do and other information that says they don't.

Depends on how lucky you get.  My course started a month after BMQ and I didnt have to do it, however all the reserves are coming in now and there isnt suppose to be another english QL3 course after this summer for around a year so yes people coming from BMQ will do it.  Army Navy and Airforce Med techs all.

So it sounds like you must do it anyway, whether it is before or after you QL3? That's good enough for me, my question was really whether or not MED tech recruits had to take it at all. My preference is to take it, so the when is less important. After BMQ would be nice, but if it's mandatory then the timing is moot IMO.

I read on these boards that the QL5 usually takes about 5 years to get, is that still the case? Can it be obtained in less time? Also, to apply for SAR Tech, do you need to have your QL5 or can you just apply after 4 years in the Forces?

Another (probably dumb) question: is there a QL4? I've read about QL3 and 5, but never come across a QL4.

I've never heard of QL5, (although I'm new), but as far as I know QL4 courses are Driver's, Comms, Command post tech, etc..

The QL's are different for every trade as far as I know.

QL3 is everyone's trade course.
The QL4 courses you described aren't the same for all, I know for example Sig Op QL4s are considered OJT at the unit. For example, we get a driver course before going on our 3s to drive the LSVW, and a Comms course wouldn't be too useful to us now would it.
Some trades have QL5s, and again, it's more advanced trades training as far as I've seen.

As a side note, there's actually a course called "command post tech"? That's awesome. Would one of the PO's be making coffee for the Duty O? I thought that was strictly part of a Sig Op's job description.  ;D

Not sure if that helped make the confusion worse  :P

If you want to add to the confusion..my trade has no QL3...............

Zombie et al.

Med Techs will complete an SQ after BMQ. Local Fd Ambs have decided that Med Techs will continue to do the SQ.

Reserve Med Techs do not do a QL5. QL3, QL4, QL6a, QL6B. But then again, everything is currently changing, so... wait out.

Thus far, Reg Force Med Tech QL4 doesn't exist as such anymore - it was your OJT package (the big orange book you had to get signed off).  It was a formal course for me because I was in a Fd Amb at the time, but those in clinical units just did it at work.  Drv Wheeled, Comms, etc are common qualifications, not your 4's.  I guess now, MCSP is your 4's if there was to be one.

Back to the SQ - I take it from what I've read here then that it is required for Reg Force Med Techs, regardless of environment and unit posted too??  Just checking - have my boss bugging me to find out and am getting a wide variety of answers.

MM

Thanks for all the info guys, it helps out a lot.

In the Reg Force, are there any restrictions as to how much training you can take within a given time period?

Forgive me for any inaccuracy as I am not 100% in the loop with this, but Reg Force training goes as follows...

Basic, St Jean
QL 3, CFHSA Borden
OJT, driving, comms, BTLS done at unit level
QL5,
PLQ
QL6A
PA Course,

As far as I know regular force medics do not do an SQ (They should, IMHO, but they don't)

That's what I'm trying to get clear - pretty much any other trade (green anyway) is supposed to do an SQ between Basic and DP1 or shortly after DP1 (or whatever the term is this week).  I too think they should be done by Med Techs, though the way we think it should be and what happens in reality rarely corelate.  Maybe a direct question then - Are Reg Force Med Techs required to do the SQ?

MM

medicineman said:
Maybe a direct question then - Are Reg Force Med Techs required to do the SQ?

I'm hoping this is a requirement, as I would like to take the SQ course before proceeding to MOC training.

Armymedic said:
Forgive me for any inaccuracy as I am not 100% in the loop with this, but Reg Force training goes as follows...

Basic, St Jean
QL 3, CFHSA Borden
OJT, driving, comms, BTLS done at unit level
QL5,
PLQ
QL6A
PA Course,

As far as I know regular force medics do not do an SQ (They should, IMHO, but they don't)

This is great info -- I was wondering if there was any way you could attach approximate timelines to it, as far as when one can expect to obtain these courses throughout their careers. Like QL5 usually after 4 years, QL6A usually after 5 years, etc. Generally speaking of course, as I realize that it will be different for everyone and that circumstances change.

Also, anyone have any thoughts on my questions above regarding training required prior to applying for SAR Tech?

Training for SAR - take a dive course to make sure you won't have problems later on, Mountain Ops if you can, and taking any medical course that comes down the pipe.  Basically pad your resume with like minded courses and maybe some volunteer work.  Oh yeah, that really important thing - GET REALLY FIT.

MM

medicineman said:
Training for SAR - take a dive course to make sure you won't have problems later on, Mountain Ops if you can, and taking any medical course that comes down the pipe.   Basically pad your resume with like minded courses and maybe some volunteer work.   Oh yeah, that really important thing - GET REALLY FIT.

MM

A few friends have been urging me to get my PADI certification and go diving with them, so maybe I will take them up on the offer and get some experience beforehand. I also plan to take a few skydiving jumps this summer, I figure that experience will be invaluable as well. As far as volunteering, I've just joined the Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary and have the initial training this weekend, it sounds like a lot of fun while getting great skills and experience. Getting fit will take some work, but who's complaining!!! Thanks for the advice!  :cdn:

I've searched but still have not found a definitive answer, so please have patience with me. I am not a military member, I took this name for a girl going through basic. She has just finished her basic and starts her Medic training in January. She still does not know when her SQ starts, and St. Jean cannot tell her. My question is this. Do medic's do the SQ training?  Would she be taking it just after her trades course?  If it is 10 weeks long that doesn't leave enough time to take it before.  We were hoping to have her home for a celebration before her trades course.

I believe if medics take the course at all, she'd take it before her trades course. As far as I know, med techs are not "army", hence they do not require to do SQ.

But I am not 100% sure.

I could be wrong but i'm under the impression that ALL trades to up to SQ & then go onto their trades courses.

swanita said:
I could be wrong but i'm under the impression that ALL trades to up to SQ & then go onto their trades courses.
I think your right. When i did my Sq (2 years ago) there were medics on the course

All trades for which the army is the managing authority have to do SQ.  navy trades and air force trades do not. I may be wrong but med tech is managed by the army.

Med Techs are not Army...

Reg F Med Tech are not "required" to do SQ course. CFMSS send a number on courses over the last couple years to fill thier time during PAT.

This info is also confirmed first hand with 4 Ptes I have working with me last week. 1 did SQ while on PAT, the remainder did not.

Back